80 XS650 Monoshock

Dyrden

Been Around the Block
I've been working on this about a year. Getting frame close to powdercoat. Not sure if the photo is attached below.

Swing arm is stretched
Dual reverse cone exhaust
Hydraulic clutch
Airbag Monoshock with bellcrank driven rear shock up front
Diamond like coated fork
Brembo all around with floating rotors
18/16" wheel combo
Pma and pamco

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 435
Here's a few more photos:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 400
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 396
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,502
I like the exhaust was going to do something similar on one of mine
The handling is going to be real 'strange' with a fat tyre on front
Going from a 90/90 to a 100/90 on stock rim was noticeable, that fat could be dangerous on stock XS500/400? rim (still 1.60" WM1?)

crazypj said:
I like the exhaust was going to do something similar on one of mine
The handling is going to be real 'strange' with a fat tyre on front
Going from a 90/90 to a 100/90 on stock rim was noticeable, that fat could be dangerous on stock XS500/400? rim (still 1.60" WM1?)

Hey man, long time. Ya you're right, it is a bit wide so that's gonna slow the handling but there's less trail too so hopefully it balances out a bit. We'll see. I live down in Miami so not a lot of curves down here. Well, on the women yes, on the roads not so much. The bike is a bit of an experiment. I'm building a chain slider for the swing arm pivot tune and have a few more odds and ends to tackle but I'm mostly out of the woods. Hopefully.

Here's a couple more photos:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 390
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 373
crazypj said:
That's some nice welding.
Did you make headlight?

Thanks. And ya buts it's not finished yet, I have some black, white and engine turned gold vinyl that I die cut and will finish the headlight with it. It's one of those annoying things that I keep working on but never seems to get checked off the list.

If I can find the 1/8" sheet brass, I was planning something similar on my XS (actually, nothing like it except for the light holder ring with bolts 8) )

Wow, nice work so far, love the seat, that foam is more comfortable than people think I had a seat made with it and it was half as thick as yours and I rode 8+ hours straight on it with no issues. The rear shot with the dual pipes is sexy. Going to be a sweet ride when finished

Wow, that's a lot of very nice fab work! Looks like a tricky run for the drive chain. Details on the rear suspension?

jpmobius said:
Wow, that's a lot of very nice fab work! Looks like a tricky run for the drive chain. Details on the rear suspension?

Thanks. I'm using a Firestone airbag as the spring(can't see it in these photos but it's under that triangle shaped plate where the side covers normally attach. Here's a couple of shots but it's changed a little since I took them:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 361
xb33bsa said:
pretty cool setup do you have a rising rate in the shock linkage ?

Thanks. It's fairly linear for most of the travel and falling at both full compression and extension. The spring rate is mostly linear as well but ramping up pretty steeply at full compression(inherent in the design of the type of airbag I used). The shock is a double adjustable with speed sensitive dampening so I'm hoping to get it dialed after a few trial runs. If not I'll play with shock oil weight and different shims to get the dampening I need.

Looks well engineered and thought out. I keep considering building a very similar scheme (not with the air spring though) but never done so probably due to my mostly unfounded concern for lost motion in so many joints. Of course the number of pivots not unusual these days - just seems like more when spread out! Really cool to see the same basic design nicely implemented! Nice pics, keep us posted of your progress!

Back
Top Bottom