80 XS650 Monoshock

HollywoodMX said:
That totally sucks man. It's my biggest fear that insurance can't replace my sweat equity and one of parts.

Hopefully you can finish the bike.

Yea it pretty much blew ass. I'm past it now. Made time Sunday and just got back to work on it. Pulled the bent rear set and did my best to straighten it out. Replaced the broken master and rashed grips. Repaired the throttle tube. Housing and cable still need replacements. Headlight is still F'd but I'm starting to plan for a new and improved version. Going to run a motogadget m-unit inside on the back left of the numberplate(if it fits). I was able to take it for a ride and give it a good wipe down.

dang dude, what a shame! Glad it didn't beat ya up worse than you did, and that sucks bad about the xs. Sorry to hear that!

bananas said:
Ah shit man. Wishing you the best.

Thanks guys. It was incredibly frustrating. I've never had an accident on the street in over 25 years of riding. Sucks it was a week after it was done and a day before my trip. I have the motogadget and new number plate so I'll start work to get it back on the road.

I spent about a year re-building a CB400F mono-shock, 500cc conversion, new forks, etc for a friend.
About 5hrs after it was on the road he hit a sheep at about 90mph. Bike went up in the air about 15ft and nosedived into the tarmac :(
I remember watching a yellow MG sliding to a stop (smoke off all the tyres) Nigel's helmet was just under the front bumper as it stopped.
Talk about lucky, not a mark on him (very slight road rash)
Bike was back on the road a week later, luckily we used easily available parts (at the time, CX500 dual disc forks, stock 400f top and bottom yokes, stock clocks, etc)
The only noticeable damage was the rear of seat and dent in tank from clip on.
I hope you manage to get things sorted out without too much difficulty

I'm back into it. My right foot is still sore every night since the get off. But I've pulled the motor and cleaned things up a bit more. Excited to remaiden it soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 322
Dyrden said:
I'm back into it. My right foot is still sore every night since the get off. But I've pulled the motor and cleaned things up a bit more. Excited to remaiden it soon.

Good to hear man, engines looking good. Are you doing any physical therapy for the foot? Was it tendons or do you know what it was?

Sorry to hear you got banged up. I am rebuilding my GL after getting hammered by a 200 lb deer in July. I am almost able to walk without crutches too. I have all new TI parts in my left leg, hip ball and ankle fusion. Been loads of fun but I will be riding come spring or early summer by the latest. Cheers and hope you get the bike back to looking and riding great again.

Maritime said:
I am almost able to walk without crutches too. I have all new TI parts in my left leg, hip ball and ankle fusion.
I had a big off at the track on my CB350 race bike and mangled my foot/ankle. Bought a pair of knee high Hard shell dirt riding boots the following week. Do I look like a Storm Trooper now? Yes. Do I worry about injuring my foot/ankle/leg again? No.

Back
Top Bottom