1976 TS 185 Scrambler/ Tracker/ Vintage Grom

So in order to avoid an more complications Im at least going to try to make a bracket for the caliper. The bolts for the fork brace are basically the same thickness as the ones to mount the caliper so I think if there is a bracket that is welded to a spacer on the axle (see the pic). And then bolts to the caliper and the fork brace holes. I think 1/4" alu should work.
126bf4ac2ee30899610ff8eafa9cebc8.jpg

Also today was a big day because I chopped the rear subframe in preparation to shorten it.
cf9ba5b13da71da36c51a529252bf5f8.jpg

Tomorrow I will get a better shot of the whole bike with the shortened frame. I also have a question. When I cut that frame it seems like the perfect place to put some flush mounted blinkers in that lower section of the frame, but I worry that will just look like I was too lazy to close off the frame. What do you guys think?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Alright guys,

So I havent really got much done cuz Im waiting for my friend to come (who has a welder who can help me weld the hoop on. I got a cardboard template made for the bracket so if I get some 3/16 aluminum it should work, but Ill have to take it somewhere to get it tigged.
6ed298f44e12ca209f2486c3fc96e9e9.jpg

Do any of you guys have any knowledge of moving the upper shock mounts to here. I saw it on this build and I would love to do it to get some more ground clearance.
512472993e458f3d00b353576adc3018.jpg

I love how my bike looks when I mock it up like that. I heard it should work because there is little lateral force on twin shocks.
a4aa6228a478534e29bfcd81bfd5b607.jpg

Let me know what you think. I would probably get a pro to weld that up so its extra safe.

very cool. I like it so far. I always loved the TS bikes. almost had a 73 ts250 for my latest project but ended up with my DT instead. keep up the good work !

motorman45 said:
very cool. I like it so far. I always loved the TS bikes. almost had a 73 ts250 for my latest project but ended up with my DT instead. keep up the good work !
Thanks man! I've been following your build too: looking a reeeeel good. Could I purchase one of thos hydroformed exhausts off ya??

I would love to make you a hydroformed pipe, but I would need the bike or one like it to fit as well as the port timings, size and shape of the ports as well. I have thought of making general pipe parts like 7 deg diffuser with a belly section and then 10 - 12 deg baffle cones with some slight curve that one could cut and fit if your decent at welding. but I haven't gotten there yet.
thanks for following my build. im ready to find another 2 stroke to build on soon.

Alright man well maybe we can make something happen down the line. What do you do to figure out the shapes of your pipes (software?). I might try to make one by forming the cones because my college has a full blown machine shop (which I should try to take advantage of).

I use several software programs and my autocad program for laying out and printing templates. i started an expansion chamber design / build thread on another site http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=28024.0 where i list several programs some you can get free.
i would be happy to help with design of a pipe. a down pipe that is single or double stage is fairly simple to make from cones as its not too many parts. smooth bends are not totally necessary to make a good pipe. the sound waves dont mind angled bends.

this is great reading to get an understanding.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwjjvt2l4ILHAhWIcj4KHfQ8Baw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amrca.com%2Ftech%2Ftuners.pdf&ei=oQq6VaPqIIjl-QH0-ZTgCg&usg=AFQjCNFwMFuZ2ja58wF9ozRZ9VqG6aC7UQ

Awesome!

Anyone with frame experience who can approve a nove of the upper shock mounts to where the screwdriver is in the picture. I love it... The bike finally sits like Ive wanted and it gains ground clearance lost from the smaller front wheel
8cf9a23b5797432eff2645ec987f1369.jpg

Also does anyone know anything about getting some switches like these
a92855e88f58c620e8c1828892294831.jpg

For the shock mounts. Cut the stock shock mount bracket off around the welds where they meet the frame and rear down tubes. Cut an inch or so out of the upper most section of the rear down tubes where they meet the frame. Heat and bend the down tubes up and forward and weld them back to the frame. Then weld in the stock shock mount brackets back into the downtime and frame. You will need to play with the amount removed from the down tubes in order to get them forward to where you want.

Im sort of confused as to why I need to move the downtubes. I thought I would just grind off the old mount, trim it down, then weld it back on. No?

Cut out a template of the shock mount bracket and see what works. That's just the way I've seen it done since I was a kid. Although we also moved the front shock mounts forward and changed to higher rate springs to get more travel out of the rear.

Guys I got the rear welded up and Im trying to figure out what to do for the seat pan. What do you think option one, two, or three.
2e68754fb0d52c4ee11876105ef8f3bb.jpg

05eb0ff874b47012a41d21c8f5033018.jpg

39cba20ffc1787a008ac1f39577b080d.jpg

I really like these little Suzuki TS bikes.. almost bought a TS100 earlier this year... Regret not doing it. I'm on board for this build.. good luck man

Back
Top Bottom