Maritime's new GL - 2UP Distance eater

Thanks. I will. Im not attending much in the actual bike week shit. Im going for the riding and will enjoy the white mountains for sure.

Thanks gents, too many beers to get it mounted last nigjt to go for a test ride but will today and see how it works. Im happybwith the look.

Havent ridden. Been doing a shit ton of yard work but did manage to mount and wire this:

1732-100618133734.jpeg

Today, was way to tired after all the chainsaw, trimmer, shovel work. And tired = falling over or something stupid.

Wait, is the voltmeter the only dial on your bars? Brilliant!

Excuse me sir do you know how fast you were travelling?
No officer, but my battery's in excellent shape 8)

Ha, That'd be funny but no I have a cheapo china bay digital tach speedo temp gauge, frenched into the tank where the old fuel/temp/ volt meters used to be. The multi gauge didn't have the volt in it and this old girl can drain a battery when stuck in traffic for to long so I like to have the meter to either shut her off or rev her a bit to increase charging when stuck. She charges just fine 3k rpm and up. You can see it in this pic, along with the doughnuts from the gas station and the cane I was using to walk on the cabot trail run LOL

index.php

Gotcha!

Is the charging issue common with all older GL's? Hope you're riding soon mate, heck of a weekend here and great to get out amongst it. The new fairing on your bike looks great!

The Jimbonaut said:
Gotcha!

Is the charging issue common with all older GL's? Hope you're riding soon mate, heck of a weekend here and great to get out amongst it. The new fairing on your bike looks great!

It's like that on a lot of old Hondas but the first gen GL's have a lot of draw without a lot of Stator charge capacity. I've done all the recommended mods to help, and it only gets dicey if it sits and idles for 5-10 mins or longer, I just like the meter to know when it gets close to battery killing levels, and that has only really happened to me a couple of times, both time on a hot day with bad traffic due to accident on freeway in the states so sitting and the fan comes on and starts to drain down the batter cause I only get like 13.5V at idle instead of the 14.5-15 at 3 so it uses the battery to run engine and fan together and starts draining it.

I just did a run from home to work on the freeway, fairing is just enough to cut most of the buffeting. the windscreen was taller and cut 100%, this does about 80% so unless I am doing 1000 miles in a day at 80 mph it will do. Cuts 100% at 55-60 mph so its good. The volts never dropped below 14V on the meter with all the lights on the whole ride, and I let it idle for 5 mins and stayed above 14 with the lights all on so I think I am good, I did something to the stator when I had the engine out back in 2009 but not sure now what.

The fan didn't kick in though as it isn't hot enough here yet to need it. that will tell.

Ride home was good. Everything is gtg for Laconia. Also can report the front is also now straight so the alignment worked.

So Laconia trip went well except for sone hiccups in the rain and some backfiring. Ordered a new acv valve and just swapped it. Original valve looked ok but there was a missing oring. Add to that my airbox to intake gaskets fell into 4-5 pieces and I think we figured out some issues. Jumped on Randakks site and ordered a replacement gasket. When it areives ill button her all back up and test ride again

Will do. I grabbed a Dyna ign and new coils and wires. Need to do timing belts again been 4 years. Also need to fix a damaged fender.

Back
Top Bottom