Honda CB400F Cafe, first attempt

That weight difference is interesting as a VFR swingarm is pretty heavy and the wheel is heavy compared to most single shock two sided set ups. Just for interest I recently checked a few dual shock swingarms for a Suzuki project. I weighed the stock short GT750 arm, a slightly longer GT550 arm, an even longer GS750 arm and much larger diameter and longer GS1100 arm and the heaviest was stock and the lightest was the longest largest one. So looks can be deceptive, so you may be right with those weights.

Human nature is what it is, so let's leave that alone. We all have our moments.

As you can tell, even from the less forgiving posts, people generally do not want you to hurt yourself. They also generally don't want to see the performance deteriorate through increased weight, less ground clearance, inappropriate geometry and because we aren't there with you, we develop different ways to transmit that message of concern.

Keep working on it and have your welder do the stress analysis before you go much further and that way the two of you can play with position of tubes etc in the software. The guy that does all my critical welding makes the most perfect welds I have ever seen but that's all he does. If yours can do that sort of analysis, you have a great asset there.

Keep having fun and learning.

Kanticoy said:
Way to jump in and make a guy feel welcome guys.

XB you didn't read the part where he said he was just working out the locations of the gussets and tubing locations and the welder was going to re-do them from scratch when he is done. If this is the case none of the gaps etc matter at all. He is just trying to work out the geometry. Nothing wrong with that, he's learning and admitting to perusing experience to carry out the final design.

Welding is just welding. You can either do it or you can't. And if you can't, you learn. And if you want it done right while you're learning you take it to someone who is proficient which is what you are doing so no worries.

As far as adding monoshocks to old frames, if it's done right, who cares. In many instances it is done to lighten the sprung weight of the bike. The single sided swing arm probably negates that as the stock 400f parts are very light to begin with (sans the steel rear wheel). I am not sure what your VFR parts weigh but they look heavy comparatively. I am very pro "modify to your hearts desire". If that is the look you're going for then go at it and work the problems until they are no more. It's an exercise in learning if nothing else so carry on and learn from the mission at hand. Some people here would rather not sacrifice stock design and take the easy way out and upgrade the stock parts using factory designed geometry. Nothing wrong there. To completely re-engineer a design takes more effort, and arguably could generate greater rewards if successfully executed. For sure the task is much greater, but nothing cannot be achieved when you set your mind to it and teach yourself what it takes to produce a great machine.

As for the people on here who insist on being assholes whenever something comes along that they don't agree with, never will I understand why you feel it necessary to berate and put down a person who you have never met. They are motorcycles. Not one fucking one of you holds the title of "the keeper of the bikes". It is a sport and a hobby that anyone with ambition can be a part of. I can't for the life of me figure out what brings pleasure for a person to be a douche on the Internet. That's not how I choose to approach life, and I feel like if it were I would have ran off many people who have added loads of value to my life's experience. Good job, you're a guy on a keyboard who can fling insults. You'll fit right in with the rest of the 12 year olds on Facebook telling "your mom" jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welding is not "just welding".
Ask any experienced certified welder.

Back
Top Bottom