1970 Triumph Tiger 650

m8 bolts would plenty for that, but to make it trick looking and to accomodate 2 welds relieve the center section 1/2" or so,away from the slider so that the bracket plants down on the slider just like 2 tabs would thirds would be perfect 1" down 1" away 1" down for example on a 3" length

xb33bsa said:
m8 bolts would plenty for that, but to make it trick looking and to accomodate 2 welds relieve the center section 1/2" or so,away from the slider so that the bracket plants down on the slider just like 2 tabs would thirds would be perfect 1" down 1" away 1" down for example on a 3" length
The caliper bracket itself has M10-1.25 threads in it. I have allen head bolts ordered to replace the big hex heads. I like the welding idea.

Scored today when a buddy dropped by with some parts for his W650 that he wanted powder coated. Had about $65 worth and paid me with a brand new pair of EMGO Triumph 650 mufflers worth $200. He had bought them for his W650 but they didn't work the way he wanted so he put them on the shelf collecting dust for years.

Powder coated the fender hardware in Matte Black, as well as the seal holders. Coated the fender in a gloss black and masked off the center stripe in prep for the new Spring Gold paint (Jeep Rescue Green).

Ran a sample coat of the Jeep Rescue Green on the fender, it's a close enough match to the original Spring Gold that I will use it. It has 7 different colors and flakes in this green. You can se the red and blue and gold flake in the sunlight. This was done with a rattle can.

Mail arrived today with my fork seals, cylinder base nuts, and an assortment of washers/o-rings for the forks. I have another package on the way that I had a good deal with the seller. He had things like the rocker box spring clip "washer" for $1 with $5.32 shipping. I asked him if he would tape the washer to a piece of paper and stick it in an envelope with a $.50 stamp I would buy it. He messaged back and said he would. I then found 3 other washers I needed from him, each with a $5,.32 shipping charge. I asked if he would put those on the same piece of paper and he agreed. So I went ahead and ordered all 3 items and paid for them. Today I get a message saying the parts are shipped and 3 refunds for shipping as promised. He ended up refunding all of the shipping saving me almost $16 for 4 tiny washers, didn't even deduct for the stamp or envelope, there are still decent sellers on EBay. I would not have made the purchase with those shipping fees, won't deal with sellers who hide profit in the shipping charges.

Wanted to post some before pics to memorialize the build from start to finish.

Strip and blasted some parts to coat. Seems the vibration got to the oil tank early in it's life.

One frame down to virgin metal ready for coating tomorrow.

The small parts in various gloss levels of Black, even coated the replacement pop rivets.

Mail lady left me 4 small packages today. Steering stop. bushings, petcocks, master cylinder, tapered bearing kit.

Found a gnarly dent in the front lower frame tube, filling it with JB Weld.

Calipers and frame coated and ready for reassembly

Installed the new races for the tapered neck bearings also.

Had no keys and didn't want to spend the money for a new ignition switch or have the old one rekeyed, so I mounted the Guzzi switch in it's place with the folding key.

Looks like a new tank is in order on the list now. Started blasting holes through the old one today and gave up shortly after starting:

Those callipers look pretty awesome - is the writing & pitting look just powder/paint, or engraved & then painted?

Bootsey said:
Those callipers look pretty awesome - is the writing & pitting look just powder/paint, or engraved & then painted?

The calipers are powder coated in a Gold Vein. Veins are powders that cure with a black base and a colored top, in either Gold, Silver, Copper or Penny. The same texture type powder that has the same color but different shades in the base and top patterns is called a Hammertone, where the low sections are darker than the higher pattern. So mine are coated in Gold Vein, the name Triumph is a vinyl decal, and then the caliper is clear coated in powder to seal the lettering in and bring out the texture of the powder.

Back
Top Bottom