1970 Triumph Tiger 650

o1marc said:
I notice the left pipe has a more straight section going down than the right side that looks more radiused, is this just normal of 650 pipes?

Appears to be correct
Triumph_Bonneville_IMG_2734.jpg

3DogNate said:
Appears to be correct
Triumph_Bonneville_IMG_2734.jpg
You are using the crossover pipes, may be slightly different than the non crossover pipes. I think there is a difference in mine to follow the profile of the motor that is different side to side.

yeah the left and rights hug the motor... they are different in every example I found...

Bike's looking good too.. when's first start up gonna happen? We need first start up videos.... always.

3DogNate said:
yeah the left and rights hug the motor... they are different in every example I found...

Bike's looking good too.. when's first start up gonna happen? We need first start up videos.... always.
I'm not much when it comes to electrics, so it will be a slow and painstaking job to hook up everything correctly to the wiring harness. Then it's nut and bolt the whole bike, fill all the fluids and bleed the systems, time and fire it up. Piece of cake ;D

Finally worked a deal for the Dowidat Whitworth 3/16-1/8w offset box wrench for doing tappet adjustments. $13 off eBay. The guy selling it had it in a bundle with 9ea 9mm wrenches. I tried talking him into separating the Whitworth from the metrics because they just don't relate to anything and who needs 9 wrenches of the same size and 9mm to boot which is not a common size at all. He made me wait till the auction ended (19 days) and then relisted it separately for more than his other wrenches because he knew I wanted it. Works nicely to give clearance for the smaller wrench in that tight spot.

My new brake lines came also, finally. The first ones they sent me had ends that were clocked incorrectly, they replaced them with longer ones that I told them I would cut off their ends and install my own. The wrong ones arrived in 11 days, the correct ones took 30 days to arrive.

This side is around 1" longer than the right side and does not have the protective spring and rubber "guide".

This side is 1" shorter and has the spring and guide. Which way should I go, and please don't say the longer one, as it's too late. I'll shorten the left one. Right now forks are at full extension.

Hmm, has been awhile.
I went down today, due to 70° weather out today, to the shop and fitted some standoffs to the front brake splitter, lowering it enough to clear the banjo ends from hitting the right fork stop. Easy fix completed in minutes and solved the issue. Now I need to shorten each brake line again.
I'm contemplating drilling the bars to hide the horn/hi/low switch wiring.

70 degrees!!!! I live in the wrong part of the planet. Anyhoo, every little bit counts, you'll be riding it pretty soon! :D

I am also envious of the 70 degree weather you have. I am having the opposite problem, it is 108 in my shed.

Good to see you got the brake lines sorted.

Brodie said:
I am also envious of the 70 degree weather you have. I am having the opposite problem, it is 108 in my shed.

Good to see you got the brake lines sorted.

I'm waiting for these gaiter clips to show up early next week from the Philippines. I will run the brake lines through one of the holes in the clips to locate secure them. It's a royal PITA to remove the front wheel. Come to think of it , removing the wheel won't be the issue because i doubt these clips will clear my caliper brackets if I try and install them from the bottom. So I will need to pull the top tree and lower the front end out just to get the clips on, what a joy to look forward to. Once all that is done I think the front mod will be complete and I can put fluid in it.

nice looking bits of metal, are they ebay ? do you have a link to them

i'm going to need something similar for the CB750 when it gets trailbiked and has gaiters fitted along with the twin disc CB900 front end

spotty said:
nice looking bits of metal, are they ebay ? do you have a link to them

i'm going to need something similar for the CB750 when it gets trailbiked and has gaiters fitted along with the twin disc CB900 front end

I originally was going to use these flat wire clips, but their diameter is too small and would leave about a 3/4" gap in the ring when installed and the end would dig into the rubber gaiter. The round wire clips are made for the Triumph so diameter is correct, yet still have plenty of room to open when squeezed.

Link to round wire one, 4 for $20:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-TRIUMPH-FORK-GAITER-BOOT-STRAP-SPRING-WIRE-CLIP-SET-T100-T120-TR6-T140-TR7-/251445593926?hash=item3a8b534746:g:rKwAAOxyUrZS9U6K

The flat wire ones are for a Royal Enfield fork. My pair is available cheap if you can use them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROYAL-ENFIELD-FRONT-FORK-RUBBER-GAITERS-DUST-COVER-PLUS-CLAMPS-ECspares-/261072957793?hash=item3cc9293161:m:mA4qTAckykT0uzo7KBDEu3A&vxp=mtr

thanks for that, be a while before i'm getting to that stage on the bike but will keep the idea in mind

Gaiter clips showed up and fit the brake line perfectly. unfortunately the whole front end will need to come apart to install them.

Phuck Photobucket.
Right after my last post I moved my powder coating operation to Ocala, Fla. for 5 months. Big mistake, after aggressively pounding that territory with advertising and hitting every car show, cruise in, bike shows, etc. of which there are many, after 5 months I had averaged $169/month. Couldn't even cover the expense of letting my Ga. house sit empty. Never got to a point where I could consider renting a home down there. During my last month there my Dad passed away at the same time Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and hasn't been given much time past Christmas. After coming back home I am literally starting over here at home with my PC operation. So I basically blew the whole year. I've added a spray chrome process to my line. Anyways it's time to get back to finishing the build. Here is where it currently stands and just needs the last 100 little tidbits done to complete the build. Should have it ready for spring riding.

Attachments

• photo-706.JPG
    photo-706.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 282
  • photo-705.JPG
    photo-705.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 290
  • photo-704.JPG
    photo-704.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 285
Looks great man... my Bonnie is a blast to ride.... spring can't come quick enough.

Back
Top Bottom