www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Rickman CR Refresh - Collection of Kit Parts  (Read 3396 times)

Online slikwilli420

Re: Rickman CR Refresh - Collection of Kit Parts
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:12:03 »
Hallelujah! The grease gun method worked!  I couldn't for the life of me find a 3/8-24 thread grease fitting so I had to get a bolt, cut it down and drill and tap it for a 1/4" grease fitting. Threaded that in with a copper washer to seal and they popped right out. That was a huge sticking point for me and I'm happy it worked out.

I'm still working on the sheared of bolt in one of the calipers. I welded a nut on the part sticking out but ended up shearing it off a bit shorter. I gave it a 12 hour soak in evaporust and is again soaking with some pb blaster.

A 12 hour soak for the rear rotor was promising. The vast majority of the rust is gone but some remained so back for another soak.

Turning attention to the triple trees. You can see the pic in my first post that they have some sort of damage that looks like they blistered somehow. My question is of this is fixable? I thought maybe I could cut all that cancer out and have it welded up carefully so nothing distorted. These are definitely worth saving if possible due to rarity. My dad had an idea to see if the local university would be willing to recast them as a project in their foundry. Thoughts?

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2016, 23:19:54 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281775331903

Somehow we both missed this listing... cr750 frame, brake, swingarm... listing says he had forks and a rear wheel listed seperately. Major bummer, I would have jumped right on that!!!

'77 GS750 920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18" Sun rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, CR31, Yosh cams
'74 Rickman VR250MX
'99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Suzuki PE250B
"Pure Enduro" trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TüBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
'76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yosh cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works piggybacks
'79 GS425 489cc Formula 500 racer, Tempter cams, GS650 forks, twinpot brakes, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
'77 GS550's 650-740cc susp&brake mods

Online slikwilli420

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 22:57:31 »
So this is actually still alive and kicking. Jim French (sohc4 forum) tried to laser weld the triple trees and it basically burned right through it, making them a total loss. I was able to source an original lower with stem in fantastic shape from Europe, but am still missing a nice top.

Since this is a restomod anyway, and given my love affair with the Borrani wheels on my racer, I will rebuild the wheels with wider rims than came stock and some SS spokes, with vapor blasted hubs. I will retain the stock rotors, which still need to be resurfaced. Since my last update I have come up with a headlight mount (Ricky_Racer from sohc4 forum) and a long tank and left/right footpegs from Hagar24 (another sohc4 forum guy). I now have all but the fairing mounts and frame/swingarm from the kit. The frame/arm are not big deals to me as originals tended to have cracking issues so I will be going a different route. I much prefer other frame designs such as Seeley or Egli anyhow and I don't think I will do disservice to these parts by going with a different frame.

The racer is priority right now and taking up all funds, but once the season gets going I will hopefully have a little more income to start thinking about this one again.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2018, 22:59:48 by slikwilli420 »

Online slikwilli420

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2018, 22:58:23 »
Pulled the front apart today and nearly every spoke snapped right at the nipple. They wouldn't have been worth restoring anyway so new SS spokes and nipples will go in their place. Thinking of going wide on both ends. Stock front was 1.85" and I think a 2.15" would be nice as well as going from the stock 2.15" rear to 3.00".

I got the hub cleaned up in my parts washer and pulled the bearings. Pretty nasty barnacles in there for sure. A vapor blast job and some new bearings and it'll be better than when the brothers built these kits in the day.

The rotors still need to be skimmed by Tom at True Disk before they go back on with the hat painted black, maybe silver.

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2018, 23:29:58 »
Glad to see that you're still pursuing this!
I have 4 project bikes now, and my Rickman CR got bumped back on the list, but that could change...
Yes I agree that pursuing a different frame would be an equally cool choice, although depending on who's interested, could hurt the resale value if you ever had to sell it. But then again, I'm sure many people reading would be very excited to see it come together with a Seeley or Egli frame or similar... I'd really love to throw a Rickman tank on a Harris F1/Magnum frame, but the frame design just doesn't permit that...
Since my Rickman frame was already repaired and substantially braced, I'm pretty good there.

Wider rims are a definite plus. 3.00 is the widest you can get in the original style rims, so a 2.15x18 or 2.50x18 front and a 3.00x18 rear would do pretty well. A 130/80-18 is a common size that would work very well on this build. I'm running one on a 3.50x18 now, it's fantastic for the hopped up 920cc GS750.

I'm very excited as well to hear about and see your race bike! Keep up the fantastic and tasteful work on both of these.

Hope to check them out in person, perhaps we'll see you at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days @ Mid-Ohio????

'77 GS750 920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18" Sun rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, CR31, Yosh cams
'74 Rickman VR250MX
'99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Suzuki PE250B
"Pure Enduro" trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TüBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
'76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yosh cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works piggybacks
'79 GS425 489cc Formula 500 racer, Tempter cams, GS650 forks, twinpot brakes, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
'77 GS550's 650-740cc susp&brake mods

Online slikwilli420

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2018, 23:47:04 »
Thanks Chuck! Still undecided on the frame since I want to finish other major parts first like wheels, brakes and suspension.

Race bike season two is fast approaching. The whole bike is getting redone and will be big on power and small on weight. One of the lightest sohc4 race bikes out there.

Planning for mid Ohio this year of course but wont have any bikes in tow since AHRMA doesn't race there.

Online doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:48:08 »
Turning attention to the triple trees. You can see the pic in my first post that they have some sort of damage that looks like they blistered somehow. My question is of this is fixable? I thought maybe I could cut all that cancer out and have it welded up carefully so nothing distorted. These are definitely worth saving if possible due to rarity. My dad had an idea to see if the local university would be willing to recast them as a project in their foundry. Thoughts?
My experience with interacting with a university to have parts cast in aluminum has not produced a casting quality that I would feel comfortable for a triple clamp. Obviously schools may vary widely in the quality of their castings, so if you have a known opportunity than it might be worth investigating. If you have to pay a industry price (dont forget to factor in heat treating) to have some parts cast I think it would be cheaper to have the clamps 90% cnc milled and do the final operations yourself. In fact, I just had a set of triple clamps cnc milled for me and did the slitting, drilling and tapping and it cut the cost in half. I thought it was a reasonable deal given the turnaround and quality.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 04:01:20 by doc_rot »

Online slikwilli420

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:17:14 »
I thought about having one scanned and CNC machined or having one cast, but both options introduce massive cost and casting may not be a reliable we to make one, depending on whom is casting. I found a good bottom and stem, so there is a top out there for me, just need to find it.

Online doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:11:24 »
I thought about having one scanned and CNC machined or having one cast, but both options introduce massive cost and casting may not be a reliable we to make one, depending on whom is casting. I found a good bottom and stem, so there is a top out there for me, just need to find it.

that part is simple enough to draw without scanning. It may be cheaper than you think to have it cnc milled, but the cheapest way is to get lucky and find one on ebay.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 12:13:18 by doc_rot »

Online slikwilli420

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:10:00 »
Hoping to just get lucky, but the search continues for now.

For whatever reason it took me over 2 years to find the Rickman Facebook group, but I have joined up and there is a wealth of knowledge there a mile deep. I have tons of pictures but never really had anyone I could ask questions to and get real time responses.

It just so happens there is a chap on there that is making new CR frames/swing arms, but over in the UK. I have messaged him to get the particulars. I would imagine the lead time is long, so I will be able to do a "pay as you go" type deal hopefully. I also need to make sure I can register it in the US for street use, though it would make a killer AHRMA Formula 750 bike.

My Borrani connection is checking with the factory about drilling the rims special for my hubs as they would have done for the original kits back in the day. I still need to do some measuring to make sure the wider rims will work with everything, especially front tire clearance relative to the fender/forks, and for clearance to the sprocket out back.

I am working on sourcing all the parts to rebuild the AP Lockheed brakes, which includes two calipers and one master cylinder. Looking at $500 or so just in parts to refurb all that. Fortunately I have an AP adjustable ratio master to use up front I got for a song at a swap meet, just needs a new cap. The masters are $350 new so that lightens the blow a bit.
Modify message