Help swapping ignition switch cb750

Still be nice to know 100% what does what beforehand. Might as well learn a thing or two about electrical while doing it. That is why I was taking that approach, i can see a novice at work from ten miles away. Just sayin.

Well, at least you have a functional meter now, even if you decide you dont want to learn how to use it.

DohcBikes said:
Still be nice to know 100% what does what beforehand. Might as well learn a thing or two about electrical while doing it. That is why I was taking that approach, i can see a novice at work from ten miles away. Just sayin.

Well, at least you have a functional meter now, even if you decide you dont want to learn how to use it.

Good call.

This all making sense to you, jinsonphoto? Do you understand what each wire does and why the switch switches between them the way it does?

Thank you Sonreir! I do think I understand. However Dohc I'm definitely still interested in learning how to do it the way you were going to show me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay could I get help from Sonier or DohcBikes ? So the wires look like the will match up, but I have one extra brown wire on the bikes original harness. Also since the harness don't match up what do you all recommend? Bullet or butt connectors? Or???

I still dont see the results to the test procedure i offered, so my motivation to help is not maxed out to be honest. I'll stop in tonight if noone else has posted.

I think the brown wire is accessory position. I don't spend much time googling answers but you sure could. Sonreir knows the wire colors and function in his head so maybe he will be in sometime today.

Patience.

Brown is for the tail light and parking light in the headlight (if your bike has one). If you have two brown wires in the harness connector but only one on the ignition switch, just splice them together.

Bullet connector is my preference.

Ok sweet! Thanks Sonreir!
And just FYI DohcBikes I posted my results to your method right after you told me what to do. Reply #15 on page 1 of this post. I was and still am very curious as how to learn to wire without a diagram and just a meter. But I guess you're right I could just google this method.

HA! Did you happen to see the post right after that one!? :eek: :) I must have been REALLY drunk cuz i dont remember seeing it! ;D

My apology!

Important thing is you got it!

DohcBikes ha! Yes I do remember seeing that! Maybe I can learn more about the method you were starting to teach me on my next electrical issue I run into.
Thanks!

Sonreir said:
Brown is for the tail light and parking light in the headlight (if your bike has one). If you have two brown wires in the harness connector but only one on the ignition switch, just splice them together.

Bullet connector is my preference.

Hey there Sonreir, I have a question.. you helped me wire this ignition switch in the post above and I am just recently having issues. It worked great for awhile, but recently for the second time one of connections has gotten hot and melted at the bullet connector. I replaced the connection once and it worked again, but it just melted again and now will not work after replacing the bullet connector. Any ideas what could be the problem? I know your the electrical guy around here. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Where is the heat/melting? Is it the wire or at the terminals?

If the former, then the issue is too much current for the switch. Some aftermarket switches (I'm looking at you, Emgo) use wires that are too thin and they can't handle the current going through them. If the wires on your ignition switch are anything smaller than 14 gauge, I would use something else.

If the heat is at the terminals, it's usually a bad connection of some sort. Ill-fitting connectors and incomplete crimps are both probabilities. Some dielectric grease (applied sparingly) may help.

Back
Top Bottom