1980 CM400T Project

hackbart

1980 CM400T
Well, guess this'll be my introduction as well as a build thread. So here it goes, if this gets finished it'll be my first successful build. I had a 1975 CB500t that I was rebuilding but sold it as a project because I got deployed. Ive been a "watcher" on DTT for over a year now and this is my 5th post. Im in Illinois if anyone is close. But anyway here's what I started with:
1980 CM400T picked it up for $500 and drove it the hour and a half home with a little front wheel wobble but that was the only noticeable thing wrong at the time.

After I got it home I started looking her over and seeing what I got myself into and found a lot that needs done. So I started the teardown process and lots of things were not as they had seemed. And don't make fun of how trashed my garage is, I have since moved and gotten a much bigger garage for my projects.

A lot needs replaced I know. Ive always been good with mechanics so I knew a 36 year old motor would need some parts replaced so Im doing a complete top and bottom end teardown, clean, inspection, and measuring for specs.

This is after everything went through the parts washer the first time.

All the little plastic pieces here are from the cam tensioner and the rubber cushions for the balancers.

Then I found this, it looks like the chain grabbed something and pulled it around the sprocket and ripped up the engine case on its way.

Also I pulled the carbs apart and cleaned them real good and rebuilt then with some new parts. Heres some before and after pics.

Ive got to finish up the inside of the engine replace parts, clean it again, and seal everything back up. But its coming along slowly but surely. Im shooting for a bobber/brat/tracker type bike so we'll see how this goes. Thanks for taking a look guys.

Attachments

• 20160412_185633.jpg
    20160412_185633.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 256
Back
Top Bottom