www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 12713 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #120 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:06:48 »
Looks fine, but the mention of tight valves is not so good.  Get a new set of valve covers and then get those off anyway you need to and set the tappets. 

If you look carefully at the last picture, the left cylinder is on overlap and both valves are slightly open.  On th right side, the motor would be firing and both valves should be shut tight.  I suspect that valve seats may also be a touch rusty from being permanently open, so if it were mine I would pop the head off and remove and clean the valves and seats.  You have to loosen the valve screws (tappets) to do that so go ahead and get those covers off.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #121 on: Dec 12, 2017, 00:40:10 »
Over a year later! I finally broke down after putting this thing back together over and over and took it to a local shop. They checked my work and told me I'd assembled everything correctly, but the cylinders and pistons had way too much clearance. They're suggesting I pick up some 50 over pistons and have the cylinders bored/honed to match. I'm fine with that since everything else is good.

Will CB175 pistons work? Any good sources other than ebay? I'm looking to just grab the pistons, rings, pins, and clips at once if I can.

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #122 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:43:55 »
Well, that's a classic good news-bad news story.  Yes CB175 pistons will work.  I used to get all mine off ebay.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #123 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:15:27 »
Sweet! Looks like I'll be ordering a little set that comes with rings and pins and clips.
Also Teazer you're rad dude, thanks again.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #124 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:51:01 »
And we're back in business! I got my scooter oiled and gassed up and put almost everything back together. The exhaust isn't totally mounted yet because I'm waiting on crush washers, and one of my bowl gaskets is messed up so that's on the way too. While dumping gas everywhere out of that carb, I was able to kick it and start it right up.

Made sure the back wheel is aligned and reinstalled the chain, and finally got it to move under its own power for the first time in who knows how long, even if it was only about two feet in my garage at like midnight haha.

Aside from the gaskets, I have to pick up bolts for the points cover, and that's the last bit.

One quick question for whoever is still listening haha, my clutch is a bit sloppy. The lever doesn't return all the way and there seems to be a ton of slack. I adjusted it at the handlebars as much as I could, but I'm thinking it's routed wrong. It should go in front of the fork, but where does it go after that? If I remember right it's down through frame where the coil is, and the just out to the left to the actual clutch actuator. That's how I have it now and it seems like I've got a good half inch of slop. May be that it's just stretched out and old, or I have it going through the wrong spot.

Pics coming when it's cleaned up a tad and all the way back together!

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #125 on: Feb 13, 2018, 19:59:11 »
I looked into the clutch cable routing and I have it right. I'm missing the little clamp that goes on the back of the clutch adjuster though so I'm looking for that but I can't find what it's called. EBay searching continues while the gaskets are on the way. I also found that the collar washers on my exhaust are too long, so I'm going to trim them down.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #126 on: Feb 13, 2018, 20:59:27 »
The part is still available 22844-200-000

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #127 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:06:35 »
I actually found it again in a box in the garage. It just sort of fell out of the case when I opened it up and I didn't know what it was, so I put it somewhere "safe" and it took quite a while to remember where haha. Just waiting on carb bowl gaskets now.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #128 on: Feb 14, 2018, 19:38:28 »
Alright, got my gaskets, popped on the exhaust and the float bowl that was leaking and that problem is solved.

I've got some oil seeping from my tappet covers so I'm gonna get gaskets for those, looks like the shop that did the cylinders might have torn them up.

Also, I'm only getting throttle response when the bike is on the kickstand, which tells me maybe something is up with the right hand carb. I temp gunned the pipes and the one on the right is a bit cooler. When riding, the engine bogs under throttle so I'm assuming my carb adjustment is just way off.

How much will 50 over effect my tuning?

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #129 on: Feb 14, 2018, 19:51:02 »
0.5mm oversize pistons should make no measurable difference to tuning. That's around 20 thousandths of an inch.  Not an issue. Fitting 57mm or 61mm pistons might make a difference though. :-)

Check tappets and try to get new pilot jets if they are available.  And check carb synch and valve clearances too.