Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

Re: A rather un-remarkable BMW re-fresh.

trek97 said:
I don't like the black. And I got a buddy in Petersburg Illinois. He started painting his own hot rods maybe 15-20yrs ago. So not a pro-painter but getting better. I'm gonna talk to him about spraying it. I don't need a show car shine. Just something better than i can rattle job in my garage.
Don't forget Kiley paints for people. He does an amazing job, too.

A nice period BMW blue-silver would look lovely on there.

How about yeller? ooh... and find one of those chinny-chin-chins...
GSPDpartsGUIDOCHIQUITAAUXLITESHa-2.jpg

Im thinking about doing something different and going w the same graphite I got on the 360. Only glossy. I love that color.

I do like that little "scoopy" cover under the engine. But I cant figure out what its called to do a fruitful ebay search. LOL

Ive been cleaning the road shit out from around the water pump on lower front of engine. LOTS of nooks and crannies. A toothbrush just cant reach. Ugh. That "chin" cover may help w that.

Ha its called an engine spoiler.

There is HALF of one on ebay. In Italy. $109.00 + shipping.

No thanks.

Fingers crossed this leak is simply the engine cover gasket and not the mating surface twixed the cases.

IMG_0969_zps8sofrjdl.jpg

trek97 said:
I do like that little "scoopy" cover under the engine. But I cant figure out what its called to do a fruitful ebay search. LOL

Usually called a lower fairing.

MitchellSK said:
Usually called a lower fairing.

Thanks.

The boys over at BMW need to go to take a Japanese class on how to design the exterior cases of an engine to make them easier to clean. There are gaps, holes, nooks and crannies all over the front-bottom half of this engine. The perfect place for the front tire to sling the most shit!!! :p

I have been 3 days, 2 cans of engine degreaser, power washer, toothbrushes, picks, screwdrivers, 3 cans of carb cleaner and 2 1/2 rolls of Heavy duty blue shop paper towels. and its still not clean enough to be satisfying.

A large void behind the water pump. Plenty of shit can get in there...but I cant.

IMG_0974_zpsq1unm4ky.jpg

A half inch hole that goes to who-knows-where was jam packed w crud for a single tiny little temp sensor wire. wtf???

IMG_0975_zpsreqqkrkx.jpg

from bottom on my back looking straight up. All this was packed full w seemingly pounds of thick gooey black sand/grit road grime shit.

IMG_0976_zps7lwsongy.jpg

Thankyou for letting me vent!!! ;D

Gave the cover bolts another 2lbs of torque. and the leak appears to have moved. Also, just ordered a nicer 1/4" drive torque wrench. Always gotten by w the cheapy 3/8"...but time to step it up a notch.

I checked the bolts on the valve cover...one bolt was almost finger tight.

IMG_0979_zpsb1pmpo9d.jpg

Love the single seat.

Looks clean enough for a daily to me ;)

advCo said:
Love the single seat.

Looks clean enough for a daily to me ;)

Thanks, better than that monster lazyboy seat.

Never clean enough! Until, I simply run out of cleaner OR just say F-it. Ha

While looking at installing the pannier brackets. Discovered my right peg plate is bent pretty badly. About an inch.
Also discovered Right plates are non-exsistant on ebay. Hooray. They got like 10 left plates. Found the ONLY available, mis-match Right k100 plate I believe will work w a bit of hole drilling. So I will have a spare of sorts until I can find the correct part.

IMG_0987_zps1dnyfwnj.jpg

The pannier bracket should be mounted behind the plate. Ugh.

One option...With a bit of grinding on the pannier bracket I could make it work bolting it to the front side of the plate. However I would have to completely delete the rear foot peg. AND I do have the solo seat on it.

IMG_0985_zpsnysdkqqn.jpg

Moving forward w option 2... I bolted a make-shift pry bar to the rear foot peg hole. And began gently pulling it.

I think we all know where this is headed.

IMG_0988_zpsanfyrzt0.jpg

Yep, cracked it. But now its straight and as luck has it. I am buddies w the worlds greatest aluminum welder, just down the hallway at work.

IMG_0992_zpsf16teunz.jpg

So, It fits really nice now. Will drop it off w Gary tomorrow.

IMG_0990_zpsrarlckac.jpg

Also found what was making that occasional pesky little squeak in the rear end. The spring was just kissing the rim.
So got that taken care of.

IMG_0994_zpsnt80gnne.jpg

Over all a pretty productive weekend.

Got the plate welded up. And I may have to fix a water pump leak.
So far I have 2 drops hit the floor since I pressure washed the front and oil pan last Saturday.
I suppose it could be left over engine degreaser and muck, that didnt get fully rinsed out.
It has no oil or antifreeze odor at all. Time will tell.

IMG_0997_zpspmzdit95.jpg

IMG_0999_zps8vlmpvpu.jpg

That coolant drip isn't necessarily anything to be concerned about, unless it's more than a few drops. The oil/water pump on those bikes is $$$$ (I know, because a few years ago as the price rose, I bought one to keep on the shelf. It's still there.)

My two K75s occasionally dribble a few drops of coolant (and I think I've seen oil, too). Then I take them out for a run, and they "cure" themselves and don't drip for months. I just went through one of these cycles with my (naked) K75.

I have no explanation for this behavior. My bikes are very well maintained (by me) and I've had them for years.

cookiemech said:
That coolant drip isn't necessarily anything to be concerned about, unless it's more than a few drops. The oil/water pump on those bikes is $$$$ (I know, because a few years ago as the price rose, I bought one to keep on the shelf. It's still there.)

My two K75s occasionally dribble a few drops of coolant (and I think I've seen oil, too). Then I take them out for a run, and they "cure" themselves and don't drip for months. I just went through one of these cycles with my (naked) K75.

I have no explanation for this behavior. My bikes are very well maintained (by me) and I've had them for years.

Good to hear. 8) I was kinda hoping for something like that. Since PO parked it for past two years. I wasnt planning to do anything drastic til I got some more miles on her. And then see if it increases or stops.

And youre right, a new pump is like $550. to rebuild it myself maybe $50 - 75. I also read a bit about the shaft pitting. I was gonna see how it was made upon opening. If the gear is simply pressed on I was gonna check w Kiley about turning me out either titanium or stainless shaft. If its one piece its $200+ new from BMW. Or fill any pits myself w Belzona 1111 or Enecon duralloy. But cant find either for retail sale.

Replaced the leaky crank cover gasket and bolt grommets.

IMG_1005_zps2tznjjrn.jpg

Found the issue. The cover has been tweaked when PO dropped it. If this dont seal I will have to work to straighten or re-face it. There is plenty of room for over torquing the bolts. So, that is a possibly plan A.

BMW must have seen this coming to allow concession for that. :eek:

IMG_1007_zpsdxx0rsg6.jpg

Panniers installed. Now shes ready to ride til the snow flies. Then I will think about paint.

IMG_1009_zpstb6zpr6r.jpg

That bike will be able to take you places. Nice touring machine you now have, enjoy it before winter hits. Great work cleaning it up.

Back
Top Bottom