www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: DR800 Big single thumper  (Read 5782 times)

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
Re: DR800 Big single thumper
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:14:39 »
I've changed the hub bearings so I can upgrade from the puny 14mm shaft to a more substantial 20mm one I had lying around off a previous project. Its the old rear spindle off the Yam TR1 I built last year.

Knocked up a spacer for the hub and just found some old bearings to use just for mock-up.

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:15:30 »
The breakers I use is a bit old school and slightly disorganised, but he's good in the fact that he'll let you have a mooch around..........at your own risk :laughing::laughing: Some of the areas are knee deep in parts and its like a walking on a boneyard of bike bits and ankle breaking stuff.
I was throwing the tank on and off for some ideas a few weeks back and noticed something in the tank..................anyone lost a sock??

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:19:12 »
Right back to the front end..............

Cut the old wheel spindle down, dusted off my thread data charts and cut some threads on it ready to take the alloy hub nuts I've machined. I've tried to keep the theme going with the Aprilia yoke clamp nut.

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:20:46 »
That's it for the time being, just back to trawling the web, and ebay for bits. I'm waiting on a new set of yokes as the ones I've got don't fit the forks I've got !!!...............This is going to be another headache as the spindle is nowhere near long enough so I'll have to make my one I think? In the meantime a few more random pics of the other bits I've dug out from the breakers....some nice original Tarozzi rearsets off an old Yamaha RD350..........they'll be going on....unless I change my mind

Offline Eleganten

« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2017, 20:21:49 »
Looks like an awesome project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:07:46 »
Oo, this is a cool build so far man!  Love the lathe skills  :D

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:38:59 »
Lovely stuff!

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:15:43 »
This is terrific. Following along.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:06:53 »
11 months  ???..................time just flies by these days. Its been a busy year what with a new job etc... 2017-18 Winter build season is upon us, time to "try" and get some garage time on the DR800.

Right, where was I?

Back to the front end, after chopping and changing the forks/brakes I left off deciding to make a new spindle for the bottom yoke. The original Aprilia one was too short, plus the bottom bearing was not sitting correctly onto the lower clamp.

Time to fire up the lathe, first time for a few months  :) :)

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:09:02 »
Been chopping and changing my ideas for tank/seat combo's over the last few months. Still undecided, but got the angle grinder out and started removing some metal work to get a better idea. Changed my mind again about a tank, so going to wait till one turns off before chopping any more stuff off. Slow start to the build season, but progress all the same.....lets see how much time I can get on it over the coming dark winter months