www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: An odd one. 82 kz750r1.  (Read 8472 times)

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 15:14:27 »
https://flic.kr/p/QTYbaC

https://flic.kr/p/Rf1i9W

https://flic.kr/p/Rf1i7G

Dude, with the forks dropped that low, you are killing the handling of the bike and can make it actually dangerous to ride. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 16:25:06 »
Forks are not staying that low at all. I just had everything on and off a few times and that's where they were.

Offline julian.allard66

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 16:37:49 »

That's a 1982 Z1000J, standard it was faster than a GPz750R1, it's now got an 1170 Unitrak engine and is a lot faster than a 750.

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 17:26:52 »
Wikipedia lied to me, no surprise.  ::) That gpz looks nice!

Some early super bikes look really neat. That being said, Im not going to turn what I have into something performance based or period correct just because I want dotheton cool points. I'm also not trying to build something that looks like every other cb750 cafe bike on the internet for instagram cool points. Bear with me guys.

And yes, I know. The forks aren't set in the correct position.

Offline cbrianroll

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 17:37:32 »
Better get those forks into the right position ha ha ha....curious to see the finished product, I'm working on a 80 kz550ltd  right now. I'm doing a single seater though

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 18:24:01 »
I have a seat pan and Eddie Lawson cover also a start on foam... I would sell it for $250 seat pan is for an 82 GPZ750

Cover is NOS

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 18:27:25 by Tune-A-Fishİ »
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 16:41:40 »

This is what I think of whenever someone says "early superbike". I understand this was a big stepping stone in the motorcycle world. To each their own, I've just never liked the look.

This is more what I'm into. Yeah yeah, it's a cafe style cb750. The seat isn't padded enough for long rides, it isn't going to be a track monster, etc etc. In my eyes, it has beautiful lines, and the craftsmanship excellent. If this is "too played out" and "hipster" for dotheton, just tell me know so I'll stop posting and carry on elsewhere.       
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 16:47:48 by Coopacoopacoopa »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2017, 16:50:10 »

This is what I think of whenever someone says "early superbike". I understand this was a big stepping stone in the motorcycle world. To each their own, I've just never liked the look.

This is more what I'm into. Yeah yeah, it's a cafe style cb750. The seat isn't padded enough for long rides, it isn't going to be a track monster, etc etc. In my eyes, it has beautiful lines, and the craftsmanship excellent. If this is "too played out" and "hipster" for dotheton, I'll just stop posting and carry on elsewhere.       

Don't get too worked up over stuff posted in your thread.  Like I said in sentence #1, it's your bike do what you like.   We are glad you brought your build here, just don't expect everyone to only post love notes.  It's an open forum with lots of different tastes.   
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline slikwilli420

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2017, 17:31:43 »
You only need to decide if you want the bike to look cool or work better than it was born.

Choppers are totally impractical but look cool and a well done one will ride well in a straight line but not necessarily corner well.

Brats, well, they are just dumb and don't check any boxes, so I have no clue why its a thing.

Cafe racers are like a more freestyle version of a superbike, and usually have more of a vintage feel to them. Well done ones are some of the coolest builds out there, but there are a lot of hack jobs. Doing a bike right and making lots of custom pieces to really make it your own isn't cheap so get ready.

When you think superbike, think this:

http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/kawasaki-kz1000.jpg

Not this:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/~/media/Images/MCC/Editorial/Articles/Magazine%20Articles/2007/01-01/Kawasaki%20KZ1000R%20Eddie%20Lawson%20Replica/Kawasaki-KZ1000R-03-parked%20jpg.jpg?h=365&la=en&w=550&hash=35E74A2FB48BBE6A642726BAF79CC2A7EF068ACC

The first represents the highest level of craftsmanship and tech in braking, suspension and power of the era. The latter is a marketing ploy that does many things well, but wouldn't hold a candle to the first one.

Form should follow function, and those that know the difference will see a bike that functions better, and it will look better in their eyes. Lots of bling and shitty bolt-ons like pods, balloon tires and the like are not the route to take if you want your work to be appreciated. Notice I said appreciated, that is not about you getting cool points, its about knowing that you built something to a high level. If you build a clown bike, that reflects on you that you aren't a person who listens more than speaks, who doesn't do research on everything, and is willing to settle for less than you are probably capable of.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Weird Indy Kid
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2017, 17:36:05 »
Ok so it's yours and do what you want.  Neat bike originally.  I'd agree the brat flat seat whatever is pretty played out.  Way too many instawanna's built them going for imaginary cool points.  Some did them really well, most not so much.

Whatever, I still like the flat 'brat style' seat I have however never actually built a bike with one.   Mothgils did one on his build with a rear hoop that kicked up behind it that I always thought was cool.  The one real issue you will have is that if you do a standard hoop thats flat with the frame you very well may end up with clearance issues when your rear wheel hits full travel.  I learned that lesson once at the end of a build  8)