1985 VF500 Interceptor

I put about 135 miles on it over the last couple of days. One full tank of gas and then some. I found out where reserve is 8) .I also found out that I can lock up the rear wheel if needed.
In mixed riding, with some idling and carb fiddling, some around town and some interstate (70-75 MPH for 70 miles or so), I got 45 MPG. I don't think that's too bad.

The clutch sometimes has an ON/OFF switch feel from a dead stop, but period magazine articles report the same thing. The repro brake master works and the front brakes are good, but the return spring in the bore is weak or something. The plunger is slow to return and the brake light stays on too long. I just unplugged the wires for now. I've been talking to a guy that can restore and rebuild the stock ones. Not just kits, but media blasting, powder coating, new sight glasses, rebuild kits, etc. It's not cheap, at around $150/ea., but I'm seriously leaning that way. As I get older, I really appreciate genuine parts and stock stuff.

Yeah...I'd say the packing was blow out. Replaced it with FMF 4-stroke packing and it's MUCH better now. Still has a nice, deep rumble but is much more mellow.

So this happened yesterday. I had ridden to a local shop to pick up something and noticed a tapping noise on the way over. I recognized it from past experience and, sure enough, the chain was tapping the center stand. I had adjusted it not long before, but chains can stretch, etc.
I adjusted it in the parking lot and only made it a couple of miles down the road before I heard something again. Luckily, I was rolling to an intersection that angles across traffic. Not much more than a couple miles an hour. Went to pull out, there was a click/thud....and nothing. For a second, I though I had lost the transmission. "F%@#, this bike's junk now..."
Coasted across the street to the sidewalk and the chain is sitting just as neat as you please on top of the chain guard. Zero damage to me or the bike. Not even a nick or scratch.

I remember when I had the chain off for the rear tire replacement, and I thought then that something looked odd at the master clip. Almost like there were places for two of them, but I only removed one. The master clip was still in the chain. I can only surmise that maybe it had two at one point and one was lost over time?
I got very, very lucky. Installed a new riveted chain today and back on the road!

Back
Top Bottom