FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

Ok, sounds good.
Like you say, not for the racer, but it lookf good and will carry your electrics and your mini tool kit?

I'm trying to work out what it will house and how it will be orientated in the tray, I want the tray to be well organised witha place for everything.

Ill solder in loops for the cables to run through and drill holes out and put rubber grommets in so the wiring looms that exit dont get damaged

Im looking at aftermarket CDI and fuse options i was looking at the Rick's Motorsport Electric CDI Box and unit and getting some ideas frm this write up from purpose built moto thats pretty helpful

https://purposebuiltmoto.com/motorcycle-electrics-101-re-wiring-your-cafe-racer/?v=6cc98ba2045f

So after a lot of deliberation and discussion with a few friends in Melbourne Cafe Racer. I’ve decided to go with the moto gadget M unit basic, I’ll pair that with the Ricks Motorsport CDI box and the upgraded cycle x charging system. And I’m still toying with the lithium battery idea for space saving... unfortunately I’m at the airport now waiting to head out to work. So I’ll have a few weeks to nut out how I’m going to run everything.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I admire your determination to make it the way you want even if it is hidden aka your electrical tray. I am big fan of lithium batteries. My CRF 450 was unreliable to start until I fitted a lit battery. Now I have them on my boat, power tools, I switch to lithium when I can. Just do not let them drain low for too long, Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing those decals on the bike!!

Popeye SXM said:
I admire your determination to make it the way you want even if it is hidden aka your electrical tray. I am big fan of lithium batteries. My CRF 450 was unreliable to start until I fitted a lit battery. Now I have them on my boat, power tools, I switch to lithium when I can. Just do not let them drain low for too long, Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing those decals on the bike!!

Thanks Popey, the devil is in the detail. The cycle c charging system just arrived, but it will be another 6 weeks before I can fit it, I’m hoping in that time the new CDI and M unit basic will all arrive so I have all the required electrical components ready to go.

Realistically completion is still a way off but I believe I can make some serious runs once I return (best laid plans of mice and men)

Attachments

• fe63b2f7-f5c3-4490-b0bc-e683a40cd237.jpg
    fe63b2f7-f5c3-4490-b0bc-e683a40cd237.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 256
Well the decals are finally competed and well worth the wait by the looks of things.

My brother made two variants and one is on reflective media, so once I get home we will eye ball them before application

Luckily he’s made a few extra

I’ve been fishing for information on the forums about wiring upgrades etc

The relay mod seems to be the one everyone strongly recommends coupled together with the CBR 600 F2 /F3 coils which I already have I’m just trying to work out if there are any other upgrades.

I’m looking at the Dyna DDK1-5 kit still mulling that over

Attachments

• Image1531996573.867518.jpg
    Image1531996573.867518.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 236
Maritime said:
Can't wait to see her all dressed in the stripes!
Ditto!

Man, I just realized I just bought the same bike - an '82 CB750F. What threw me off when I bought it was the tank, side covers and fenders are all from a different model (a K I think) but on further inspection I'm pretty sure I've got an F. I'll be re-reading through your thread mate with renewed interest, no doubt I'll have a question or two for a man who's been there done that 8)

Worst thing is even after I arrive home I’ll have to wait for a time when my brother is free to apply them correctly... I’m sure it will be worth waiting for.

Happy to answer any questions although most things I learnt were through my failed exploits.

Still a little more research and development required with the electrical system I think, there is a GM HEI mod you can do also, but I don’t know if a dyna system would be better

I hear you - pretty much everything I learnt while working on my bikes was either with the help of this forum or by buggering things up on my own!

I bought my bike thinking it was a K, but on closer inspection I think it's an F with a bunch of K parts on it. Weird. Anyway that's for a different thread. Can't wait to see those decals on mate, your bike's sure gonna look purdy when it's all buttoned up. Great work mate, and inspiring perseverance!

Well it finally arrived the moto gadget M unit basic and M button which will allow me to run a single wire to all the front controls

This should be a huge improvement to the OEM wiring, next on order will be the Dyna 2000 system and that should be pretty much all the electrical side of things taken care of

Once I have all the components I will do a mock up in the electrical tray to see how everything fits before deciding on battery options

I’m hoping with all the upgrades to the charging and electrical that it makes using a lithium battery a safe option

Attachments

• 773f630e-2c01-43ac-88f1-bc7b6b7c5568.jpg
    773f630e-2c01-43ac-88f1-bc7b6b7c5568.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 286
Cool! I hadn't really planned it, but ended up ordering an m-unit too. Mine hasn't come yet, so I'll count on you to figure it out so I can follow your steps ;)

LKS said:
Cool! I hadn't really planned it, but ended up ordering an m-unit too. Mine hasn't come yet, so I'll count on you to figure it out so I can follow your steps ;)

I have one more week before I get home, then I’ll be into it.

Pay just went in the bank so the Dyna system will get ordered today, I’ll have to wait until I’m home to purchase the wiring that I’ll need to run. I believe I’ll have all I need then.

I’m looking forward to setting it all up and running the wires once that’s. Done I’ll have to hit the rear wheel chain and sprockets ( which I’m unsure what actual wheel hub I have so getting the correct sprocket May be a little difficult)

I’m toyin with the idea of using the R6 brake caliper but that will require us to fabricate a new bracket. ( I’ll have to see if dads keen to give it a crack on the mill) just a pipe dream atm may just end up leaving the only brake caliper on.

I would like to find a rear disk that’s drilled out like the front two or have the one that I’ve got drilled out.

The more I think about it the more I have left to do :/ still have to work out how to mount the steering dampener as well.

Would love to have this project going by oct nov, so I can ride it during the summer

Looks like cool plans.

I used this site when searching for sprockets for my 520 conversion. It has measures for all the sprockets and lists all other models that use same sprockets. It was very helpful.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR284/

Well I ordered the DDK1-5C Dyna 2000 Ignition 2.2 ohm Coils with DW600 wire set.

It should all be at home when I get there, I believe that’s the final piece to the electrical system puzzle. There should be no issues with spark ( that is after I replace the spark plugs )

Those m-units are super nice. I use a basic in 4 button config but without m-button. So easy to wire and works really nice.

Well it looks like all the electrical components are here now

Now it’s time to read all the instructions and wiring diagrams

Then hope I get it right

Attachments

• Image1534728856.923786.jpg
    Image1534728856.923786.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 290
So I’m at a stale mate with this bolt. It the 12mm in the centre of the brass nut.

All my attempts to remove it have just further stripped the nut.

My socket set has 12 rather than 6 sides on the inside, so I’ve just gone to the hardware to pick up some impact sockets in the hope they will assist if not I’ll have to differ to plan C, get the impact driver set I’m hoping to save my pennies(but I’m not usually that lucky)

I’m having the same issue with the nut that holds the magnet in for the rotor stator

I hit them with WD40 and let it soak overnight, tried it again today then added more WD40 not really sure if it’s having any effect at all.

I’m pretty sure the holes are threaded normally I’ll have a read of the workshop manual before having another crack, that will be embarrassing if I’ve been trying to turn it the wrong direction all this time

Attachments

• Image1534839083.471838.jpg
    Image1534839083.471838.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 278
  • Image1534839095.372909.jpg
    Image1534839095.372909.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 275
Boom the correct tools for the job paid off

Attachments

• Image1534841806.240380.jpg