My last major restoration was a doozie - 1982 GL500

ChopperCharles

I got it as a complete and total rust bucket. Basically a parts bike. But it had good compression, and a shot of starting fluid down the intakes and it started right up. So, I dropped the engine out, did a triple bypass, fixed the various rusted frame members (cut and weld for some of them), and painted the motor and frame. Tossed the frozen carbs and put on a set of freshly rebuilt carbs that I had from a past trade, along with bodywork and other bits and pieces I had laying around. Went from trash to a nice runner. Not a showbike by any means, but it was a fun little project and I love taking a piece of junk, fixing it up and giving it a new chance at being ridden and loved. You have no idea how many mice (and their nests) were displaced in the restoration of this bike. SO MUCH POOP EVERYWHERE :)

I really liked this thing. The bags were so convenient, and it was a really nice bike to ride. I've long since sold it, but I've got another one in the pipeline.

Before and after pics attached!

Charles.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 261
  • DSC00751.JPG
    DSC00751.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 251
Oh and the bike in the background of that first pic was another project I was working on at the same time, a 1979 Honda CX500 Custom. I finished it a few months after the GL500. Most of that project was completed by my father before he died... bike was immaculate, it just needed minor stuff. Pic of that one below... don't have a before pic, but my Dad started with a bike that looked only slightly better than the GL500 I started with.

Charles.

Attachments

• IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 251
Back
Top Bottom