Restarted my Honda V30 project. Need some tips

CafeJeff1

I finally have some time and a few dollars to restart my Honda magna V30 project. Can I eliminate the small gas tank and fuel pump under the seat and just run from my CB750F gas tank? Also off topic, would I be able to swap engines and use an air cooled CB engine with this frame. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 280
You should be able to remove the 2nd tank and fuel pump - it looks like the CB tank will gravity feed to the carbs.

Swapping engines? I guess anything is possible if you have the time, money and skills but the short answer is no.

It will never be straight-forward if you're talking about swapping a V4 with in-line 4.

Thanks for the replies. I have the carbs off so I can get them cleaned and rebuilt. Should I have them rejetted if I am going to gravity drain. I had only toyed with the idea of an engine swap because I thought it would look better visually without the radiator. However I'm sure I'll be sticking with the existing motor.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

CafeJeff1 said:
I have the carbs off so I can get them cleaned and rebuilt. Should I have them rejetted if I am going to gravity drain.

No. Fuel flow into the carbs will have no effect on the jetting / vice versa.

However, if you are removing the airbox and / or changing the exhaust then the jetting will probably need changing.

Short answer: Don't mess with the airbox on these bikes. They are VERY sensitive to airbox changes. Put a K&N filter in there, and do nothing else. You might luck out and find a Kerker for a VF500F Interceptor, which you can modify to fit the magna. In that case, you'd want to go up one main jet size and possibly shim the needles. However, if you're just running slip-ons on the stock collector, as shown in your pics, leave the carbs with the stock jetting. I must reiterate, under no circumstances modify the stock airbox. It's been tried. It always results in less power. Always. It makes fitting a different tank difficult, but trust me on this one.

You can't fit a CB motor in that frame. And you don't want to either. The V4 is a better motor, and the V30 is really quite a fun motor. It's geared for a stupid top speed, which you cannot attain with those 500ccs in there. I had problems pulling past 80 in 5th gear - much less 6th - with a bone stock bike in a good state of tune. It'd do the ton, but it took forever. That said, it'd do 85 topped out in 4th, so it was slow due to gearing more than anything else. Go with the smallest front sprocket and biggest rear sprocket you can find. Added benefit: The bike will now want to wheelie. A lot. And you get to experiment and find out what the actual top speed is!

Good luck!

Charles.

Thanks for the help. I had given the bike to a friend of a friend for the conversion. After 2 years without being completed as promised I went to pick it up only to find out that it had been left outside for a year only partially covered. Needless to say I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I'm going to have to learn along the way having never attempted anything like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom