www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: CB360 - OEM+ lets see what happens here.  (Read 22495 times)

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
Re: CB360 - OEM+ lets see what happens here.
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2018, 16:15:44 »
I was running errands today on the 360 and it turned into an impromptu desert ride. 60 miles at 88 degrees. Both sides of the engine were around 310 degrees when I got back, so Iím guessing that itís pretty close to spot on (maybe running a little rich.)

The bike is supper peppy up to about 60mph and then seems pretty disappointed to have a full tank of gas and 220 lbs of rider/gear. Is that all Iím going to get out of this bike with stock air/fuel/exhaust? (Iím not mad about it if it is.)

It doesnít have a problem pulling through 7000rpm at lower speeds. Anywhere youíd start for more power? Iím really attached to my stock scrambler exhaust and very tame exhaust note. Im not really willing to swap that bit out for power. That may mean that Iím living my life quite shy of the ton =P maybe itís time for me to migrate over to that site about Honda twins. Lol.

Iím guessing I could also try to get the vt500 running. That would be a ďquickĒ ten horses.
If you see me f**cking up it's because I have no idea what I'm doing. You can either tell me I'm fucking up or watch me find out on my own. Both are appreciated.

75 CB360 project.
1984 Honda Ascot (water-cooled paper weight)
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2018, 16:17:41 »
I should also mention that I donít have a speedo so Iím guessing based on RPM and the rough 25/50/75mph Indication markets I added to te tach. Flow of traffic and speed limits support my guess of 65. Didnít have my phone or a mount to use for GPS speed. I guess that could be an easy next step.
If you see me f**cking up it's because I have no idea what I'm doing. You can either tell me I'm fucking up or watch me find out on my own. Both are appreciated.

75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2018, 16:47:39 »
I also cut some tank stripes out of brass sheet and paints them to match the headlight shroud. Iím not sure about them. The blue doesnít really contrast as nicely with the raw tank as the polished brass did. I may pick up a paint pen and try a white outline. My friend just picked up all the pin striping materials, so if it looks right, I can make it into something worth having on there.

Dunno. Into feedback.

I also made a custom desert water bag. It still needs a light wax (I used cotton duck instead of linen duck, so it leaks a bit more than it should. With oboe 1.25 L of capacity that means itís empty after a long ride, which isnít the point. Iíve added straps to tie it to the headlight ears or for triple tree. It sits lightly on the front fender. The goal is a bit of a seamp cooling effect. And, itís badass tech that weíve just abandoned for shit powered byelectricity. Electricity is lazy as fuck.

75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2018, 21:53:58 »
You have to red line it for max performance, often it's going to be quicker in 5th gear than 6th.Stock, it should be capable of running to the 'far end of red section, but unless you did the oil mods it's a bad idea. Your engine temps are interesting, shows 360's run hot. Was the temp at case or head? (that's hot for engine covers )
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2018, 22:02:21 »
Thatís at the spark plugs and around the surrounding fins. I was seeing very low 300s previously on the right with ~ 370 on the left. This is from a $30 hft IR temp gun. I stated taking the temp from there because I was worried about the electronic ignition. Now Iím back to points, so It just habit to look there. Iíll take temp from the cases.

Iím running 20w50 and cleaned out/ replaced the oil pump and drilled out the clutch basket. Dunno if other mods need to be done. Probably not worth redlining it in the summer. Itís already 100deg + degrees cold. I also donít know if thatís something to be paranoid of.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 22:40:55 by Cursh »

75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline crazypj

« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2018, 22:12:36 »
You need to do the oil transfer piece mod to increase oil flow. I thought you did it when clutch cover was off?I stopped using 20w/50 a long time ago, becuase it's 'thicker' at all temps the top end tends to wear/seize quicker than using 10w/40 (or, 5w/40 full synthetic Rottella + about 3/4 oz ZDDP)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 22:15:25 by crazypj »
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2018, 23:13:19 »
Nope. I missed that when I was in there.

Local vintage twin mechanic was telling me to only run 20w50 here because itís never under 100 degrees from June to October. I donít know if that tracks. Oil is cheaper than an overhaul, so Iím happy to run to Walmart or oreielys to get 5w rosella if the 20w50 is such a bad idea.

75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Bad Craft Consulting
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2018, 17:57:47 »
On a similar ride today I got these temp readings after running in to grab the temp gun (~5 min?)

Outside temp: 93 degrees (yahoo)
left case (stator) at Honda emblem 138 deg
right case (clutch) at Honda emblem 137 deg
Center of block (around the cam chain tensioner nut) 205 degrees.

Thoughts?

I've got the most minor of oil leaks from the left sprocket cover area. I'll swap out the oil while modifying the oil transfer piece and replace the requisite gaskets/plugs. (unless I have to split the cases to do that. I'm not really interested in that yet.)

I should be using standard 10w40 despite high temps here and no possibility of temps below 45?
Is rotella 5w40 a better way to go? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info. This bike doesn't see cold.

Thanks for all the help.

75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2018, 18:14:18 »
The only temp I'd worry about would be right at the head, near the spark plug hole. That's the closest part, on the outside, that you can get to the inside. Anything over 400įF would start to worry me.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Cafť SOS - Stage Oneô, Cafť SOS - Stage Twoô
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline crazypj

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:15 »
I would pull clutch cover and do oil mod first, MiniatureNinja took pics of his so it should be easy to find. It's rarely much over 90 in Florida but I would use the Rottella with a little ZDDP added anyway, it's thinner so will protect cam bearings better at high temps. (less likely to build enough pressure to 'open' transfer piece)After oil  mod is done, 25/50 should be OK?
Brian Morgan, 1982