www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Am I the Pontius Pilate of this CX500?  (Read 10303 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: Am I the Pontius Pilate of this CX500?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:54:21 »
That's looking pretty impressive. CX is a good motor after waterpump seal and cam chain tensioner are done. It actually lasts much longer if you keep it around 6,000rpm or more, at low engine speeds it self destructs cam chain tensioners, sometimes taking out the case. The last models (+CX650+ had an automatic tensioner which lasts about 18,000 miles but a lot longer if you check at every service to make sure it's adjusting..
I guess you'll have a pair of plates made to convert rear wheel to spokes? (cut original 'spoke' bolts, bolt on plates, lace up)
Personally, in my experience, except for the original styling, the 'Plastic Maggot' isn't a bad bike, the motor is much easier to work on than any of the in-line fours and only takes about 20 mins to get 'on the bench' (after a bit of practice). Second year in Britain, the addition of fly-screen changed the look more than anyone thought possible. It even handled reasonably well (particularly for the time period)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Odontologist

• Umina Beach, Australia....Where does that part go?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2017, 21:27:15 »
From here, it just looks like you need to adjust the bottom edge profile of the seat to match the frame.  The frame has substantially more curve than the seat.

Thanks Mr Miller. Do you mean to follow the frame line as I've drawn down below?

Run out of zip ties? Dental floss is an excellent alternative.

1982 Honda CX500 Roadster build

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2017, 21:29:41 »
Yep.  I'm reaching from a distance, but I assume since it's a fiberglass base, you can shave some off to match the frame better.  Looks to me like the tail section may need it more than the front half, so it lowers the angle of the seat.

Offline Odontologist

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2017, 21:47:13 »
That's looking pretty impressive. CX is a good motor after waterpump seal and cam chain tensioner are done. It actually lasts much longer if you keep it around 6,000rpm or more, at low engine speeds it self destructs cam chain tensioners, sometimes taking out the case. The last models (+CX650+ had an automatic tensioner which lasts about 18,000 miles but a lot longer if you check at every service to make sure it's adjusting..
I guess you'll have a pair of plates made to convert rear wheel to spokes? (cut original 'spoke' bolts, bolt on plates, lace up)
Personally, in my experience, except for the original styling, the 'Plastic Maggot' isn't a bad bike, the motor is much easier to work on than any of the in-line fours and only takes about 20 mins to get 'on the bench' (after a bit of practice). Second year in Britain, the addition of fly-screen changed the look more than anyone thought possible. It even handled reasonably well (particularly for the time period)

Thanks for the comment crazypj. This is a 1982 500 Shadow Australian model, and I don't know if had been upgraded along the way, but when I opened it it turned out to have an auto cam chain tensioner.

I replaced the cam chain anyway since I didn't know what life it had, and since the back cover was off, I also changed the oil and mechanical seal on the water pump. I also replaced the gear change lever rod seal and the final drive seal.

I don't have a lot of experience working with engines but I found this engine relatively straight forward to work with, but without the manual I would have been lost, and I can't wait to test it out on the finished build. I only got to ride it around the block when I got it as the clutch was stuffed.

Offline Odontologist

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2017, 21:49:51 »
Yep.  I'm reaching from a distance, but I assume since it's a fiberglass base, you can shave some off to match the frame better.  Looks to me like the tail section may need it more than the front half, so it lowers the angle of the seat.

You're spot on. Its a fibreglass base, and I agree that the tail looks to high. I don't have any shocks on and the bike is on its centre stand, which is pushing tail up a bit, but I do agree that I have to work on the seat base.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2017, 13:28:27 »
Personally I would cut some semi-circular clearance around top of shocks to allow rear of seat to sit substantially lower The angle at present is more reminiscent of German 'Streetfighters' from 90's. Bottom of tank 'slopes' down so you can't really follow it's line
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2017, 13:30:27 by crazypj »
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline cxman

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:42:17 »
no american 500s had the auto tensioner  the 650s did

the austrailian shadow 500 of that year all had it as did europe and pacific rim
1978 CX650 Super Deluxe
1979 XS1100 Special
1974 xl350
1983 cx650 Custom
1973 cb750
1980 cb750
1981 cb650
1982 cb900 c
1974 kawasaki 350 bighorn
1983 GL1100 aspy full dress
1983 GL1100 Nekid
and a bunch of others

Offline crazypj

« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2017, 16:48:44 »
Interesting, I did not know that
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline Odontologist

« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2017, 17:14:28 »
My understanding was that the original (manual tensioner) cam chain guide bolt would loosen, but that Honda did offer a recall and upgrade. Don't know much else with respect to the different regions or when they switched to the auto tensioner, which I also understand is trouble free.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2017, 17:49:44 »
I was working at Honda dealers when CX was launched, Honda ran one CX motor at 10,000 rpm for a week, (non stop on dyno) stripped it to measure wear, didn't find anything significant so thought bike was ready for general public. They expected people to 'mistreat' motor and use high rpm. Unfortunately, people teated it like a Harley and rode around in high gears at 'low' rpm. It was found the load reversals were causing cam chain flutter' which was breaking stuff (Harley had / has same problem with twin cam for same reasons)  I did way too many CX's under guarantee / recall including crankcase changes when the mounting bosses broke off.
 Officially, there were only 3 types of cam chain tensioner but I know in Britain we had at least 5 different types while factory was re-designing things.
The automatic is the best  but an oil assist( if it had been available) would have been better.  Luckily Honda still machined the inspection plug so it is possible to check tensioner operation
Brian Morgan, 1982