www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM :)

Author Topic: Am I the Pontius Pilate of this CX500?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Odontologist

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Umina Beach, Australia....Where does that part go?
Re: Am I the Pontius Pilate of this CX500?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:44:06 »
Although I'm not doing this build on a tight budget, I do love some of the simple and effective solutions that recycle parts......such as the solution to seal the tacho cable mount since I won't be using a mechanical tacho. I WAS going to buy a plug, but this is a gem. It was suggested by Sidecar Bob from the CX500 forum. It goes like this:

"I cut the cast end off of the old cable, cleaned the cut end up and ran a 1/4" tap into the hole, then screwed a bolt into the piece and installed it the same way the cable would go."

Only difference is that I don't have SAE taps, so I broadened hole to 5.5mm and tapped a 6mm thread.

The metal is quite soft and the tap clogged up easily. It polishes up nicely. I'm guessing a high zinc content alloy.....but don't really know.
Again, a simple quick job that put a big smile on my face.

Ahh yes. I also cut the end of the camshaft. Mechanical cam driven fan out....electric temp sender operated fan in.
Run out of zip ties? Dental floss is an excellent alternative.

1982 Honda CX500 Roadster build

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: Am I the Pontius Pilate of this CX500?
« Reply #91 on: Feb 14, 2018, 20:09:58 »

The seat support has some bolt mounts 65mm apart...I believe for the rectifier/regulator. However, the mount holes on under side of the stock reg/rect are 68mm apart.

Quick tip, when measuring hole 'center' go from edge to edge.(move rule 5mm to 'right') If holes are same diameter it's exact size. If holes are different diameters you either add or subtract half the difference depending on which 'edges' you measured from)
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 20:13:00 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0