www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Trash to Tracker, Xl350  (Read 3684 times)

Offline 2strokeTRush

Re: Trash to Tracker, Xl350
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2018, 21:33:59 »
Lots of cleaning going on. Started with the wheels, was using scotch bright pads with some Barkeepers Friend and water. They cleaned up pretty nice, shame lots of the spokes are rusty. I have kits for both front and rear wheel bearings, but have never done them before. Anyone have any tips?

Onto the centrifugal oil pump, still have a ways to go.

And then the front and rear fenders, A buddy of mine is going to spray them for me. Anyone know the color code or exact color name? If not I will probably get a generic gray.

Take it from me, I'v made this mistake before.

Offline killerx

« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:11:21 »
For the spokes, TAKE YOUR TIME.
It will seem daunting but it will be worth it to be able to say you laced and trued your wheels yourself.
05 Victory Hammer(110hp 115tq @ the wheel)

73 Honda Cl350(Haven't decided what to do with it) SOLD

75 Suzuki GT380

Too much of everything is just enough.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2018, 14:31:22 »
Freeze your bearings, get some correct size PVC for each bearing. Clean the seat, drop them in and usually one or two good taps with a  mallet on the PVC should seat them good. Be very careful not to overdo it, as they CAN be seated too far and bind on the inner axle spacer.

If you go with the eBay spokes, they work ok but the fitment sucks, all the angles are a little off and I had to seat them with a rubber mallet to get them trued.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline 2strokeTRush

« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2018, 18:45:45 »
Freeze your bearings, get some correct size PVC for each bearing. Clean the seat, drop them in and usually one or two good taps with a  mallet on the PVC should seat them good. Be very careful not to overdo it, as they CAN be seated too far and bind on the inner axle spacer.

If you go with the eBay spokes, they work ok but the fitment sucks, all the angles are a little off and I had to seat them with a rubber mallet to get them trued.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Iím good with the i stall Of the bearings, more of the removal Iím not familiar with

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2018, 23:06:41 »
Iím good with the i stall Of the bearings, more of the removal Iím not familiar with

It's the opposite.  Heat the hub outside of the bearing and they will pop out easy.

Offline 2strokeTRush

« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:44:51 »
Sorry I haven't been updating recently guys, had a family emergency that took me out for a few weeks.

I painted the engine covers and started reassembly. Did the left side cover and valve cover. New gear shift sea and clutch adjuster plug. I painted some bits black to set off the gray a little bit. Assembled with allen set bolts to make things look nice, to bad the kit didn't come with bolts for the valve cover or tappet covers. Anyone know what size the tappet covers are?

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 01:46:47 by 2strokeTRush »

Offline mussulo

« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:54:20 »
Looking good,

I'm on the same "level" that you are, cleaning / painting rims, and painting the motor.

It would be great if you painted white the "outline" of the Honda logo on the left side cover.

Please continue to show the evolution of you project!

Offline 2strokeTRush

« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2018, 13:18:19 »
Cleaned and re-wrapped the harness, attempted to clean the connections as well.

Motor back in, as well as air box, battery box, new coil/capacitor, flasher relay, foot pegs.

Scratched the points cover so ill have to repaint that which sucks and Unfortunately I must have forgotten to take pictures of the way the harness was routed and where everything was placed, so I  took a shot at where everything was. if something doesn't look right, let me know. The manual is very vague when it comes to this.

Installed the UNI air filter and everything things to work, anyone think I will have issues with tuning using that filter? Not to many options if I wanna keep the stock housing. Still need to find tappet cover bolts.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2018, 13:35:15 »
One day, you're going to regret wrapping that harness in electrical tape.  It turns into a gooey mess. 

Offline 2strokeTRush

« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2018, 14:06:43 »
One day, you're going to regret wrapping that harness in electrical tape.  It turns into a gooey mess.

I used a Higher then normal quality tape from my work. I have used this on other bikes without issue. So I hope it lasts!