www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Streetfighterkz

Re: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:12:52 »
Look into SRAD Gsxr600 4-piston calipers. Zrx owners upgrade to those over the stock Tokico (same caliper as B12/Busa/Gsxr750W/1100W).

Btw, I had a odd relationship with the 89 Gsxr750 I used to own. Always wanted an O/C Gsxr so I found it cheap then barely rode it. Maybe Id have like it more if it was a 1100?

Later, Doug
'78 Kz1000
'76 Kz900 'Stripfighter (work in progress)
'83 Gpz750 (work in progress)
'89 V-Max
'89 Gsxr750 Trackfighter

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:15:12 »
JP- made a finger and hammered em out. Worked good. Doug-  I'll check out those calipers. I want to upgrade the brakes. It already has EBC pro-lite discs.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:14:11 »
Carbs are disassembled, and I soda blasted everything and did an initial clean, focusing on cleaning out the needle bearings and regreasing them. Most of the rubber is rock hard so I will replace the o rings, and a couple other things.  The header basically has barb wire holding things together and the back mount was held on with a piece of a door handle. I assume the primaries  slip  out of the bolt on flanges? Seems pretty stuck, but I want  to confirm before I get rough with it. Literally every piece of the plastic including the headlights, seat ,and tail is broken or mangled so I'm  chucking it all except for the upper fairing which I will repair. Yes those are wood screws.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2017, 05:17:50 by doc_rot »

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2017, 10:36:11 »
I just drive them out with a pin punch, but you do have to be careful.  It's very important to back up behind the pin properly.  Sometimes I will make a back up plate with a finger or arm that fits up into where the pin is out of a piece of steel angle or plate that I can clamp securely in a bench vise.  Drilling a hole in it for the pin to pass through will provide good support so you don't damage anything.  Getting someone to hold the rack accurately on the back up while you tap out the pin(s) helps a lot.

That is exactly the right way to remove roll pins.

Nice slabbie project.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:42:11 »
I got the bike titled so this project can proceed full steam!
I decided to do the fun part first to get me motivated and give direction to the whole thing.
Started sanding the fairing down to bare plastic, there had to be 1/4" of paint on this thing. once I had it stripped bare I realized this fairing has been repaired many times and was cracked everywhere. Coincidentally my dad recently finished building a wooden kayak and had a bunch of resin and fiberglass leftover that he  offered to me, so I got creative. I made a crude jig and mounted the original fairing on it then filled in voids with clay. I also did a thin final layer over the whole thing inside and out to seal in the original fairing because I just kept finding new cracks.

I'm going to use a 4.5" Harley headlight with a custom bucket i made years ago and never used. Offset, endurance style; i rounded over the opposite side of the fairing as well to compliment the look.

Im going to try something I have never done and fabricate and aluminum rear cowl.  Needs some bashing and trimming but its getting there. Total cost of the cowl with stick on seat will be about $40 depending on how much I spend on fasteners.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018, 05:09:06 by doc_rot »

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:39:26 »
I traded some parts for a bunch of seals and gaskets, 6 pot calipers, a used 530 chain, fork seal driver, and a valve adjustment tool.

I had time to inspect the rear wheel. There was no spacer on the sprocket side except a steering neck lock nut that was doing absolutely nothing as the sprocket bolts were grinding on the swing-arm. I have a 10mm thick 20mm spacer that came in the box of parts that fits in the rear wheel dust seal perfectly. However, when the rear is assembled with that 10mm spacer there is not enough room on the other side for the remaining spacers. Is it possible the PO assembled the rear wheel without this spacer at some point and cranked on the axle hard enough that the swing arm bent and now the spacers wont fit? I got two wheels in the deal they appear to be identical, except with different disks. One is missing a bearing and the bearing spacer, and the other needs new bearings completely. Also the stepped spacer that goes in between the sprocket carrier and wheel is missing.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018, 05:42:28 by doc_rot »

Offline Pete12

« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:06:19 »
Great job on the rear cowl. Is it all one piece, except for the seat base of course?

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:47:53 »
That old rear sprocket tells a tale doesn't it?
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2018, 13:04:25 »
Looks more like a saw blade... :o
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

I eat cake because it's some ones birthday somewhere...

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2018, 17:11:55 »
Great job on the rear cowl. Is it all one piece, except for the seat base of course?

Im just getting started on the rear cowl, I only bent up one side so far. The camera makes it look more complete than it is. ultimately I think it will be 5 pieces total.