Speedo in Headlight housing

sporty_juan

Honda's and Harley's
Does anybody have any insight on this headlight design? I am really interested on how sleek it looks and would like to put it on my 81 CM400. If so please let me know before I try to cut a hole in mine jk I do believe it is too shallow of a housing to fit a gauge as well.

Attachments

• Scheinwerfer-chrom-10035489_880_DET01_17.JPG
    Scheinwerfer-chrom-10035489_880_DET01_17.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 388
If you have the skills to make that yourself, have at it. But there are a bunch of them on the market to buy, and vintage ones on eBay and at swaps.

I'm pretty sure my skill level wouldn't make it that nice. But I didn't realize that these were more common on vintage bikes. I will have to change my search settings and check that out. Thank you

Ducati and other Italian brands used headlights shells with speedos in them. If you go with the smaller size (130mm) vs the larger (150mm) you can get them pretty cheap. The larger ones are harder to find and more expensive when you do since everyone with a 65/66 Ducati single wants to use them instead of the ugly squarish one that came on the bike.

Here's some info from my 350 thread on putting a modern speedo in the old shell. FWIW I've since tweaked the aluminum spacer a bit so it fits inside the headlight shell and isn't seen.

DesmoDog said:
I started cutting a bushing out of aluminum to make the speedo fit the headlight shell, but before I finished it I gave some rough dimensions to a buddy who then printed one out on his 3D printer. The first one is out of cheap material just to see how it works, when I finalize the dimensions he'll make one out of some softer material for me so it has a little give to it.

acewell_8655_l.jpg

acewell_8661_l.jpg

acewell_8674_l.jpg

A little tweak to the inner diameter and a test fit. Don't mind the tach mount on the right, it goes away now since the Acewell is a tach too.
acewell_8671_l.jpg

Works like a champ. Except the headlight shell I used as a pattern doesn't match the one on the bike so the fit is a bit off… but that's nothing that can't be fixed in the final version. Good enough for mock up. Now on to working out a way to drive the speedo.

The next day I went downstairs to clean up the shop so it'd be easier to work on things. Got bored instantly. Instead I put a little more time into the aluminum insert.

acewell_1463_l.jpg

This headlight shell will likely end up being painted silver. I'll probably just polish this up and use it as.
acewell_1452_l.jpg

acewell_1459_l.jpg

DesmoDog said:
Ducati and other Italian brands used headlights shells with speedos in them. If you go with the smaller size (130mm) vs the larger (150mm) you can get them pretty cheap. The larger ones are harder to find and more expensive when you do since everyone with a 65/66 Ducati single wants to use them instead of the ugly squarish one that came on the bike.

Here's some info from my 350 thread on putting a modern speedo in the old shell. FWIW I've since tweaked the aluminum spacer a bit so it fits inside the headlight shell and isn't seen.

That's exactally what I was looking for it looks so clean. I did find one on ebay for like 45 bucks it looks ok but not as sleek as the one your doing. looks great

Honda CB/CL160s have headlight buckets with mounted speedos, Honda CB77s have headlight buckets with speedo and tach (and early CB77s have a reverse tach that requires the reverse drive at the axle). Pretty sure ratio is the same.

Back
Top Bottom