www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Cb750 cafe build  (Read 3359 times)

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:49:37 »
Hello all. Iím Nate, Iíve been kicking around here for a year or so. My first street bike was a 80 cb750. I bought it last January and quickly went to work on it-It turned out ok, it was fast, loud, looked clean, I rode it 200 miles and thought I would like a bike to have my girl ride with. So I sold it and bought a nice older Goldwing and had money to spend. My second (keeper) bike (my girls bike) is a 75 cb550f. Itís my girlfriends bike because I had ďtoo manyĒ (3 others for trade stock) at the time. If youíre wondering how you go from 1-4 bikes in a couple of months just ask me how. The obsession is real. I couldnít pass up the 550f. So I called it hers. It turned out even nicer than the first one. I read and read and read on here, other forums and the Facebook places. Iíve decided to do a build thread. I do like the company here and the suggestions, and Do The Ton feels like home to me. Iím posting a couple of pics to validate the last two...So moving forward, like the title says this build is a 76 cb750. I acquired the bike through fb marketplace. The add said two Honda motorcycles for sale. The first pic was a cb750 roller, no motor or tank. Second pic was a complete 73 cb750. I called the guy and he was in liquidation mode, he had the two cbs, two cx500 motors, four or five tanks and a serious uhaul open trailer load to take he explained. So the question was...how much? He said $400 and I Ďbout had a stroke. I get off the phone the next words out of my mouth were ďbabe, get in the truck weíre going for a drive.Ē  And we brought it all home. So I had two rollers, the complete 73 was w/o papers. The Vermont trick does not work in Washington state sadly. The 76 frame is titled so sheís the keeper. I decided that I would use what I needed and trade or sell everything else. It slowly morphed into the realization that Iím in this thing damn cheap and after trading or selling what Iím not using, Iím into it even better. Like the guy paid me to haul it off even better. He thought he blew up the motor by running low on oil. He did not. He had the carbs rebuilt and said I wouldnt need to even look at those. Well the motor wasnít blown up, yes the oil tank was a little low but I could see oil in it. The bike had 10k mi on it...so I pulled the carbs and when I looked in the bowls he was right, they had been freshly rebuilt. But- one of the floats was bent and no 3 wasnít filling up. They go back on and a quick plug change noticed two oil fouled, remedied the carbs and plugs and she went bang. Runs freaking great. I even rode it. Kinda scary with 45 year old tires but Iím sure it was all grins! Anyways, the purpose of this build is to make a decent cafe. Time for the tear down then...

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2018, 11:13:50 by nateb »

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:08:15 »
I decided to sell the pipes. I put them up for sale on fb cb750 site and they were on there for about 2 1/2 weeks. They had some rot on the seams but all the bad was not showing so they might be valuable to someone. One fella contacted me and asked if I was interested in any trading? I said yep! Well we were trying to get a deal pounded out and he said he was going to think about it. He needed my #3 pipe to complete a set. I wasnít going to break the set up. He offered $500 for the one pipe. I stood my ground. Mind you, $500 was about what I had into this whole endeavor after trailer rental and fuel. The next day I get a close to full price offer on eBay. I called the guy who Iím getting the trade going with and said you need to shit or get off the pot. He said ok letís do it! I traded the pipes, a 18Ē factory d.i.d. rear wheel, the collars for the exhaust, and the rear foot pegs for a gorgeous tank, a 4/1 header, some velocity stacks, exhaust collars, and he accidentally dropped a sandcast badge in the box too!

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 12:35:44 by nateb »

Offline nateb

Re: Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:17:37 »
Time for the obligatory cb frame vs. cut off wheel pics...

Offline nateb

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:29:01 »
Through the sale of the headlight ears, seat, gauges, front wheel and hub, seat lock, rear shocks, fork gators, brake light, front fender I was able to finance these...so I can run this!!  A 2001 gsxr 1000 front end I had sitting in the corner waiting for glory.

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:32:00 »
A new sticker for my tool box came in the mail today!

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 13:06:38 by nateb »

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:44:07 »
At this point I am literally even on this build money wise. No shit. I had a front end from a previous deal sitting here, I traded and sold my way to where Iím at with the new parts. So I have a titled 76 cb runner, rebuilt gsxr frontend with conversion stem and bearings, 40 hole hub, really really nice tank, velocity stacks, dyna ignition and exhaust for $0. I ordered motogadget m unit to wire the bike, also some rear shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 12:55:43 by nateb »

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2018, 13:01:49 »
I decided that Iím going to use 17Ē aluminum wheels. This build has kinda taken on a letís see how cheap I can build it aura about it. So with that in mind Iím using 17Ē \ 2.50 wheels from either an old goldwing or a cb750 hondamatic. I acquired both wheels shipped to my door for less than $200. Not bad. Now to wait for the spokes from Buchanan so I can drill the nipple holes before they get powdered. 
* note- I only needed to buy front spokes as the rear hub of the cb750A has 17Ē wheel so Iím cleaning up the rear spokes and reusing them.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 13:12:18 by nateb »

Offline slikwilli420

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2018, 15:12:10 »
Yeah that rear is not going to work on the front. Your spoke angles will be way off. The front hub is so much smaller than the rear they won't line up and you will have spoke nipples that do not match the holes they are going in.

Offline coyote13

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2018, 15:54:08 »
Yeah that rear is not going to work on the front. Your spoke angles will be way off. The front hub is so much smaller than the rear they won't line up and you will have spoke nipples that do not match the holes they are going in.

Even if he's using the Cognito GSXR conversion hub?
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline nateb

Cb750 cafe build
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2018, 16:27:00 »
Angel at Buchanan says they built a spoke for Cognito because someone has ran it before. Im gonna try it. I called him up, told him what hub and what wheel I was using. And then he gave me two different options for spokes. He said option one was I think he said a 5/6? No drilling required but kinda a sloppy fit, option two was 7/8? Bigger gauge spoke and nipple but have to drill. He said option two builds a stronger wheel but a little more labor..shouldnít take that long. I might have the numbers backwards regarding the spoke gauges now that I read that. But does this conversation make sense?

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 16:43:00 by nateb »