Real long shot here... 1930's era Harley Davidson VL 80" engine/trans parts.

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
On the super off chance anyone has any 30s era HD engine parts, I'm in the market.

Let me know if you have anything you'd part with.

Thanks!

Re: Real long shot here... 1930's era Harley Davidson VL 80" engine/trans parts.

I dont have any parts, but I do have this sweet meme.
c0306ea8c3bcee421c549dc91bffd2ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pretty good chance Harley motors in Salt Lake City don't look like boat anchors dug up from the Titanic.

So the rest of you know what those two hens up there are clucking about, this is the boat anchor I'm going to try and revive:

Attachments

• received_1716599518378729.jpeg
    received_1716599518378729.jpeg
    969.6 KB · Views: 221
Scooter trash said:
Jimmy Moen, Harley Davidson of Salt Lake City, has done many restros.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a line on a "flathead guru" in MD as well.

This is going to take me years to fix, I'm aware of that. But fuck it. Why not?

Something along these lines http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?25812-VL-UL-Special&p=284538#post284538

Note: Stay away from the 1930 motor. It is one year only and extremely hard to find parts.

Rider52 said:
Something along these lines http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?25812-VL-UL-Special&p=284538#post284538

Note: Stay away from the 1930 motor. It is one year only and extremely hard to find parts.

Pretty much. Just want a proper 50s style bobber. Swap meet parts. Nothing fancy. Had an XS built that way and although it was cool it wasn't right. Hopefully this will be.

Re: Real long shot here... 1930's era Harley Davidson VL 80" engine/trans parts.

You know we kid. I'm thoroughly pumped to see you get this steed done.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/saskatoon/vintage-aftermarket-harley-parts-nos-parts-look/1227520874?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

canyoncarver said:
Specific stuff you are looking for ? I can ask my guy Dave, he has piles of old gold.

Little bit of everything really. Won't know exact specifics until I can get the motor home and apart. I know I need pistons and at least the rear head.

Cylinders, sleeves, pistons, heads, pushrods, pushrod tubes, valves, left and right side covers, crank, rods, wrist pin, gears, shifter.

irk miller said:
Cylinders, sleeves, pistons, heads, pushrods, pushrod tubes, valves, left and right side covers, crank, rods, wrist pin, gears, shifter.

and hold the salt water....

Don't worry about parts until you take the motor apart. Pre '35 VLs are 74", HD didn't start building the 80" until 35 and 36 was the last and probably best of the line. However, a lot happens to them over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me to find 80" cylinders on a 1933 motor or even one 74" and one 80" on the same motor. The best source of parts will be the antique motorcycle meets. Oley and Blackhawk are about the best for older stuff. The Oley meet is April 27th. The VL motor is total loss oiling. The lower end may have been oil starved at some time. I honestly thing this is going to be a good project. If you don't go back original the motor will fit in any big twin frame. Any big twin transmission will work, but you may have to change the main shaft to the 65-69 short shaft for alignment. I normally don't deal with VLs, but if I find anything I'll let you know.

Subscribed!
My older son and I revived/rebuilt a pocketbike that sat under Katrina floodwater (brackish) for over two weeks. While it was certainly not on the same scale of what you're tackling (much easier and cheaper parts availability), there's a different level of pride looking on something you brought back from what most people consider far beyond "dead".

irk miller said:

So you're saying there's a chance? ;)

I know it's a mess, and yeah most everything outside of (hopefully) the cases will need to be replaced/rebuilt. Don't care. I have ZERO delusions that this will be cheap or finished any time in the near future. I've wanted one of these motors forever. Figure I'll give it a spin.

Worst case scenario I have the coolest mantle piece sculpture in town.

Rider52 said:
Don't worry about parts until you take the motor apart. Pre '35 VLs are 74", HD didn't start building the 80" until 35 and 36 was the last and probably best of the line. However, a lot happens to them over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me to find 80" cylinders on a 1933 motor or even one 74" and one 80" on the same motor. The best source of parts will be the antique motorcycle meets. Oley and Blackhawk are about the best for older stuff. The Oley meet is April 27th. The VL motor is total loss oiling. The lower end may have been oil starved at some time. I honestly thing this is going to be a good project. If you don't go back original the motor will fit in any big twin frame. Any big twin transmission will work, but you may have to change the main shaft to the 65-69 short shaft for alignment. I normally don't deal with VLs, but if I find anything I'll let you know.

Case number starts with "36VLH". All I know at the moment.

Have a couple local guys who are big time pre 60s HD and Indian nuts I need to hit up.

Thanks for the info!

Redbird said:
Subscribed!
My older son and I revived/rebuilt a pocketbike that sat under Katrina floodwater (brackish) for over two weeks. While it was certainly not on the same scale of what you're tackling (much easier and cheaper parts availability), there's a different level of pride looking on something you brought back from what most people consider far beyond "dead".

Can't hurt to try.

Back
Top Bottom