Cb750f has me scratching my head, again

88SS

Here’s what I’ve done: I pulled the carbs, and completely disassembled them (yes even the slow jets), I soaked them in an ultra sonic with heat all day, checked the valves (all in tolerance), changed the oil, new air filter, changed the starter clutch bearing, rewire the whole bike, upgraded the charging system (tested and working), upgraded the ignition system (power arc), and set the timing. Checked the compression, and it was great. Reassembled the carbs. Here’s where it gets tricky. I put everything together properly (this is about the 6th time I’ve done it), except I forgot to turn the mixture screws out 1.5 turns per factory manual. Put the carbs on and the bike fires right up. Keep in mind the mixture screws are all the way in at this point. It’s idling good, so I just let it warm up. Once it’s warm, I hook up the sync tool. Now it gets weird.

I sync the sync tool first to #2, then hook up the other 3. Sync #1 to #2 no problem. When I go to #3 it won’t budge in either direction. In fact #4 moves instead. This is where it starts unraveling. I get the shop pro involved and we discover I had forgotten the mixture screw adjustments, and we can’t figure out what’s going on with #3. Long story short, I’ll pull the carbs AGAIN and clean them. Not a full disassemble, but I sprayed through all the holes and jets with brake cleaner and air. The reason being, when we pulled the plugs it looked lean.

Now here’s the bigger problem: when I put the carbs back in, the bike won’t start. This time I made the proper mixture screw adjustments, I bench synced the carbs. The choke is good. The butterflies aren’t stuck. I checked the spark. I’m getting hella good spark (not checked with plug). Pulled the plugs, and the plugs were all wet with gas.

I thought I may have just flooded it, so I blew out the holes. I waited about 10 minutes and tried again, and nothing. Pulled the plugs, and they were wet again. Tried gapping the plugs, and put them on a wire wheel to clean them. Nothing.

Now I’m at a stand still, scratching my head. Any ideas? Even the shop pro is scratching his head. I need a Honda grey beard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom