Cold weather painting?

Streetfighterkz

Been Around the Block
Probably a simple answer to a rather simple question but...what’s everyone’s method for painting during the winter?

Backstory: I have a 3-car uninsulated attached garage. No ceiling or wall covering (just rafters and framing). The garage stays 5-10° above outside temps (outside = high 20’s to mid-30’s). I need to paint an engine fairly soon. I have a propane torpedo heater and a halogen work lamp for heating the parts if needed. I thought about painting the smaller parts in my basement but don’t want to deal with the residual fumes plus painting near a gas furnace and water heater probably isn’t a good idea.

Anyways, any suggestions or advice?

Later, Doug

This has been brought up a few times but I couldn't dig up the threads. Definitely don't paint in the house near a furnace. Built up fumes can ignite without proper ventilation.

My technique is to keep the spray can and objects to be painted in the house at least overnight. You want the metal to be at least room temp as well as the paint. I;ve also had good luck pre-baking some engine parts as it allows any cleaning agents in the pores of the metal to gas off before paint. Either way.

Once the paint is on you can just keep the parts outside with a heater on them until they cure to touch. Then bring them back in the house when they don't smell so they can fully cure at room temp.

At least that's what has worked for me.

I got the lacquer color paint on my side panels and fender, but plan to wait for weather to be right to spray the 2K rattle-can clear on them. I have a detached ~1/2 car shed that I did the lacquer in when the weather was last right (humidity gets me in summer) and I will just use patience for the clear. I have the parts in my upstairs den getting nicely cured, been there for a month now. Here in East Tennessee, we often have a couple days of surprisingly warm, dry weather each winter. Since I'm retired and have another project going, I have the luxury to be patient. When I do paint them, I'll leave them in the shed to flash, bring them in the basement garage for a night, then take them back to the den for curing.

Few tips from someone, who's in the same position:

1) use 2-pack-spraycans. They work flawlessly down to temps above 0 degree Celsius
2) fill a bucket with hot (not boiling, just hot like 30-40 degrees Celsius, basically as hot as it comes from the tap and you can still put your hand in comfortably) water and put the spraycans in there - this will also help you to get the most out of them.
3) pre-heat small or thin parts with a hot-air gun, e.g. a fender can be nicely pre-heated with a hot-air-gun, then you spray on the first coat and wait. It's a bit more difficult with a complete engine, but it usually can be done.

But most importantly:
4) Take your time. Expect roughly twice to three times the time for paint to dry and even then you may encounter some bubbling on the top layer as it is gassing out reaaally slowly.

Sounds like the general consensus is wait until ambient temps reach and stay above 55°. Or at least that to allow me to paint the engine.

I’d like to have the bike ready for riding season but maybe I’ll wait for better weather.

Later, Doug

As written before, with 2-pack and patience you can get good results at lower temps, but you should multiply the time allocated for letting the pain dry AT LEAST by two.

Present forecast for Sunday afternoon has four hours of <60% humidity and >60 degrees F. Think I'll go for it. Just the shelter sides, side covers, and front fender. I plan to set up with parts in the warmth of the house, take them out and spray, let them flash, then take them back to the garage once the temp drops below 60 again. Painting will be done in an unheated seperate shed.

Fire up that torpedo heater for a few hours before your ready to paint and youll be fine . If you keep it burning when painting just make sure the back of it is sucking in fresh air . Ive done this many times while paing cars and bikes

Back
Top Bottom