SR500 RACE BIKE - Tracy body kit - Survivor - Ohio

Looks like a '95-'97ish GSXR part just like the front end and wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-SUZUKI-GSXR750W-FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-W-LEVER/292477260722?hash=item441900d3b2:g:1qMAAOSwGltaot~Y

I might just buy a chinese or brembo job from the ebay. We'll see. :-\

imwastefull said:
I might just buy a chinese or brembo job from the ebay. We'll see. :-\

I would/will NEVER buy anything brake related from the Chinese. I’ll save and pony up the extra $$ for something reputable. Brakes aren’t something to skimp on.

Just my $0.02, but I could be wrong.

Later, Doug

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/magura-hc3-radial-brake-master-cylinder-w-reservoir-15mm.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-System-Radial-Master-Cylinder-For-KTM-200-250-DUKE-R-390-690-990-SMT/113140764487?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D50bfdc4a3080471fae0978d54bfa442d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D272153384262%26itm%3D113140764487&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6206625b-0ed1-11e9-adc6-74dbd180b8bc%7Cparentrq%3A105dc26f1680aa4651f0c74affecde3a%7Ciid%3A1

When the original is $700 and a Chinese copy is 1/10 of the cost at $70... I'll take the risk.

However, my mind is FAR from made up. I have a few other projects so garage money is running thin. Cost certainly is a major factor. Anyone have any experience with cheap front brake masters? Is there a reasonable brembo that a lot of dudes run?

I used a new $25 Chinese Grimeca knockoff master on the CB360. It said Grimeca on it, but it was $25...so I assume it was a knockoff.

It worked fine and never leaked in the 2-3 years I had it on the bike, for what its worth.

Some of the newer R1's came factory with a Brembo master cyl. It was a single year or a very short year run on them. They used radial calipers too...not sure if that would make much difference.
You can buy a used master off eBay for really cheap. Even if it needs a rebuild you know what to get as far as parts go.

What size is that M/C? It should be cast into the body. I'd look for one the same size as that one which is most likely a GSXR 5/8" unit.

You could also clean that one out and fit a banjo bolt with bleed nipple to make life easier.

Chinese masters are Ok if you clean/assemble properly before installation. At least the one front and one rear I've used. Issues were found but easily corrected on both.

teazer said:
What size is that M/C? It should be cast into the body. I'd look for one the same size as that one which is most likely a GSXR 5/8" unit.

You could also clean that one out and fit a banjo bolt with bleed nipple to make life easier.

Yep, this is a 5/8" master. I've seen those bleeder banjo bolts, I wanted one but its another chinese jobby. I'm going to tinker around, rip it apart, and try and find the problem. If it can't be sorted in a couple hours, i'll probably buy a cheap chinese master though.

I've never heard of the Grimeca units... (I'm a dumb harley guy) anyone have a link? I'll have to do some research.

Ive used the Chinese MCs many times when flipping bikes. They work fine for $20 shipped, but the finish is very poor and I have had the reservoir caps leak on two of them.

brand new basic Brembo 16mm MC is $100 brand new. Nothing fancy but the fit and finish are excellent.

It's time to get back on the old race bike. Took a few weeks off due to the holidays, some travel, and building some solid struts for the old Digger. But, I'm focused on getting this pig up and running in time for summer.

After some cussing, clever back-filling, and a mity-vac, I was able to get the front brakes working flawlessly. I'm very pleased with how they feel so far, and upon inspection, the rotors and calipers are in fantastic shape. Once I bought all new lines, crush washers, and spent some time bleeding, they're perfect.

The rear brakes are a different story. The rear master I got with the bike was frozen solid and after I tore it apart and thoroughly cleaned it, it still leaked air. So, I bought a second-hand master and this poor gal was in even worse shape. :( BUT, after some scrubbing and a mix and match of useable parts, I was able to turn 2 masters into 1 good one.

I bled the rear brakes, got all of the air out, had a good pedal feel but the brakes still didn't work. I pulled off the caliper, got the rubber boot removed and saw a rusty, frozen piston. BUMMER. Still, I wanted to recycle the parts so I went along with trying to use it. After pulling, whacking, heating, air-blasting, and lubing the caliper, I just couldn't get the piston to move.

I had heard about a neat trick using a grease gun to push out a frozen piston. Evidently, you plug the banjo bolt hole, loosen the bleeder and pump grease into the caliper until it forces out the piston. Sounded pretty messy put I wasn't left with many options. So, a $15 grease gun and some creativity and WHAM, she popped out! I can't recommend this method as once you're done, you have a grease filled pile of junk... but it worked. haha.

At any rate, sadly the piston was rusted, pitted, and completely unusable. Fuck it, I'm buying a new one. I found brand new xs650 Front Calipers that APPEAR the same... unless anyone objects, I'm going to snag one and see if it fits. We'll see!

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/yamaha-xs650-front-right-brake-caliper-fits-1977-1984.html

pics

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190118_172534.jpg
    MVIMG_20190118_172534.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
  • MVIMG_20190118_183622.jpg
    MVIMG_20190118_183622.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 209
imwastefull said:
The pig I built struts for.

Is that the Arlen Ness Digger for sale near Canton? I'm not too far away and have been looking at it listed on CL for a while hoping the price drops.

BarnBurner said:
Is that the Arlen Ness Digger for sale near Canton? I'm not too far away and have been looking at it listed on CL for a while hoping the price drops.

Yes sir. Its mine and its for sale. Unfortunately, I can tell you that the price isn't going to drop too much. But, I am open to offers and trades with cash, etc.

I just sourced some vintage Ness pullbacks, built these rigid struts and threw on a triangle headlight. I think that'll increase the value and pique some interests. I've been holding off until taxes hit to really push the sale of the bike.

Love the new bars and light! I actually think it's worth what you have it priced at (especially since everyone in the area seems to price their sportsters at $3000 regardless of year/condition).

Back
Top Bottom