A Separate "Race Bike" Section for Projects?

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
Season's Greetings All!
Thought I'd throw it out there - what is everyone's opinion on whether or not the projects section should have a "Race Bike" board?
I guess we could have child boards for road race, dirt track, moto-x if it got too crowded, but for now, just the one?
I started thinking about this awhile back, when Texasstar's and Zeke's 175 Honda became a lot more "Racer" than "Café" - and also because I've started on a Bridgestone 175 cc Dual Twin rebuild / race bike conversion - we're going to call the project, "From Wreck to Racer" and for once, try to keep a photo diary of the project.
There are also a bunch of guys like Teazer, Hoof and a ton of others, who have built and / or are building a racer. I'd love to see spreads of old race bikes as well - a lot of them really rocked.
Like to hear everyone's opinions.
Have a Very Merry and a Happy New.
Pat

Well, don't know if we're all pros LOL, but you can get a lot of great ideas for a street bike from a race bike. The other thing I hoped a race bike section might do, is show what is necessary for a race bike conversion, that you don't have to be a pro, a lot of the (vintage) racing organizations are extremely helpful with info and ideas and maybe it'll push a bunch of the fence sitters to take the plunge. Granted, each organization - AHMRA, VRRA, etc., has their own rulebook you have to follow, but in the areas of race bike prep, amazingly similar.
And when I've broken the 20th, 1/16 drill bit, drilling nuts and bolts for lockwire, I / we will probably be shaking my / our head(s), wondering, what the hell was I thinking when I started this project?
And no, not suggesting this thread will help you build a world beating GP bike for 2015 either.
Pat

What sort of race bike? Street Fighter, certain cc class and year? It would have to fit in with the theme of this forum, wouldn't it?

I think it's a good idea - and I think "Race Bike" is a self explanatory title ?

There's also a cross over - where an essentially a Cafe Racer doubles duty as a race bike - let's call it Track bike. Or even Bonneville / LSR bike [ Tim and others ]. Here in the UK we have the Titan crew amongst others.

Hmmmm - just like the Sixties !!!! 8)

Now then, past and present ??????? If ONLY Mrs.B. 1st hadn't torched all my early pix .........................

Good questions and comments, all!
My spin on the section was to focus on a vintage flavour, mainly road race. There are other boards on this site - café, tracker, etc. that cater to the older bikes we all enjoy and I think the same idea would work for "Race Bikes". Any displacement is okay by me as long as it's a racer - some neat little tiddlers out there!
I was thinking back to the days when the café racers derived their styling and modification cues from the road racers - so why not show the road racers in their own section? Ya, of course there is some cross over - a couple of the clubs in my area run vintage track days and let the older (street) bikes run, as long as they tape the light lenses and do a few other things - but none of them would ever make it through tech at a vintage race meet (think safety wiring, oil containment belly pan and oil catch can requirements, to name a few).
Hoof, Tex / Zeke and a bunch of others have posted threads about their builds and like I said in my first post about this topic, IMHO, a lot more "racer" than "café" and I think they deserve their own board.
Manfred has a good idea about "historical data"; it would be interesting to see shots of the old 'uns, especially if there was a series of photos showing the build but I fear most of us dinosaurs have lost or tossed a lot of our old photos.
I also opined that brand new bikes (mfg date) didn't belong on the site.
I've just started on the BS175 "Wreck to Racer" and I can just post updates in the café section as work progresses. It will also be on the VRRA booth at the Motorcycle Show in Toronto, Jan 02 / 03 / 04, in all its "glory" - it's in the "before" stage right now, except for the seat and nose bowl and resealing the gas tank.
Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Pat

This is a great idea, I would say limit the bikes in the section to those that will actually be track ready for whatever style track they are being built for. I wouldn't care what year etc. but keep the repli-racers that will never see track time to the other parts of the forum, make the new section for the learning of how to build, prep, safety wire, choose fuels, tune for different tracks/elevations and all the things that matter when you are hitting a track. Competitive or just for fun, but really riding on a track. Hoof, teazer, Texastar/Zeke all have projects that could be moved there and there would be a pile of good info right from the start! Good section for those who may want to start track days and move to more competitive stuff later.

I would suggest the section would be for machines built to compete in any discipline where they are subjected to scrutineering, so safety and sound engineering is the focus rather than looks?

[/img] I've this street fighter, 9.5-1 turbo pistons, 620cc injectors, 3/8" fuel rail with 225 lph external fuel pump, 1-1 fuel pressure regulator, PC-5 Power Commander, T3-T4 55mm scroll, boost 21 lbs. Pretty snappy too.

Attachments

• 394.JPG
    394.JPG
    609.9 KB · Views: 166
Erskine said:
I would suggest the section would be for machines built to compete in any discipline where they are subjected to scrutineering, so safety and sound engineering is the focus rather than looks?

I agree. IMO, this section should be for purpose-built, track only machines. 8)

Back
Top Bottom