Best GPS app?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm rigging up wiring, mounts, etc. to use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) as a GPS.

What GPS app are you using? I don't mind paying for one if it's really worth it.

what about the google map app? its free and has turn by turn directions. It can get you to where you need to go, I really dont think you will get an app thats leaps and bounds better. They all operate off the same satelites, so the only changes are going to be ease of use, speed/ refresh rate/ and looks. I think google map gps is pretty good, dial in some settings to improve it.

I dont think voices matter, you wont be able to hear it speak with a helmet. So I am interested in where and how you are mounting your phone, do you have a waterproof case for it? This has always been something that I wanted to do. Are you running a headphone cable into your ears, music, calls, etc?

Well, it's all in the works for now. I'll post pics when I get it all set up. I'm not an ADVRider, so any riding in the rain is unintentional. I'm not really worrying about weather proofing it at the moment.
I'm running a cable up from my battery (like a battery tender cable) to the bars. I'll be using an SAE to USB adapter and a RAM Mounts system.

The RAM mount would be easy to set up for a dedicated GPS unit (like a Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, etc.) with just one more specific bracket.

Google Maps gets plenty of suggestions, but it also uses Wi-Fi or my data plan. I've heard that there are some that store data and then use that....so no Wi-Fi required and no 3G or 4G signal needed, and it won't use up my data. Anyone know of anything like that?

For example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navigon.navigator_checkout_us&hl=en

I am running a S4 in a LifeProof case, held in a RAM mount with a tether just in case. So far it hasn't budged.

Locus Pro is the droid that you are searching for. ;)

It works with the phones GPS and downloaded maps while the phone is offline. So far battery life is pretty good, I have had it on for 4 hrs. straight, and used about 25% of the battery.

Glad that I could help!
I did a bunch of research before I finally got enough cash together to make the phone purchase. I was thinking S4 Active, but the users say it isn't that much tougher than the regular S4.
LocusPro is a bit of a handful to use, at least for me it isn't very intuitive. But it has a LOT of features, and it works great.
Still trying to figure out how to keep my screen on the S4 from shutting down when I am using it for a gps.

Back
Top Bottom