Post a pic of your motorcycle as it sits

Making progress on the RD400...
IMG_4380_zpskuszi5f3.jpg

IMG_4379_zpsumubsg6i.jpg

Engine made it into the frame. Gotta get a set of sparkplugs and a battery, and she should fire.
When she fires, and has a running lump... then she gets blown completely apart, and the fun stuff starts ;)

Redbird said:
Making progress on the RD400...
IMG_4380_zpskuszi5f3.jpg

IMG_4379_zpsumubsg6i.jpg

Engine made it into the frame. Gotta get a set of sparkplugs and a battery, and she should fire.
When she fires, and has a running lump... then she gets blown completely apart, and the fun stuff starts ;)

Wait, you mean you don't knock it down into a million pieces first, paint everything, and stick it back together and it runs perfectly?

Instagram has lied to me.

I got my XS to start and run before I started working on it. Turns out I shouldn't have bothered. It did run, but when I opened it to replace gaskets and seals turns out it needed a full rebuild. Cylinders were out of spec, rods were worn out, cam chain guide was bad.

J-Rod10 said:
Wait, you mean you don't knock it down into a million pieces first, paint everything, and stick it back together and it runs perfectly?

Instagram has lied to me.
I know what you mean. Builder/Restoration shows have done the same to me.
More times than I can count, I've walked out the shop and said "We'll return after this short commercial break...", only to come back to the bike in the exact same condition as when I left :eek: ::)

Rat_ranger said:
I got my XS to start and run before I started working on it. Turns out I shouldn't have bothered. It did run, but when I opened it to replace gaskets and seals turns out it needed a full rebuild. Cylinders were out of spec, rods were worn out, cam chain guide was bad.
This one was already "opened" when it arrived in the family. The frame was a roller, but the engine was completely disassembled, in two boxes and a plastic tote. I had no choice but to do a rebuild first :p
IMG_5959_zps4891d22b.jpg

IMG_5960_zps133658d4.jpg

Redbird said:
I know what you mean. Builder/Restoration shows have done the same to me.
More times than I can count, I've walked out the shop and said "We'll return after this short commercial break...", only to come back to the bike in the exact same condition as when I left :eek: ::)

This one was already "opened" when it arrived in the family. The frame was a roller, but the engine was completely disassembled, in two boxes and a plastic tote. I had no choice but to do a rebuild first
IMG_5959_zps4891d22b.jpg

IMG_5960_zps133658d4.jpg
Don't sweat it, the cylinders and carbs were pulled off of a running bike. That's gotta count for something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Just checking for clearance. Need to cut the bottom frame cross tube and weld it in further up as well as a few mm of clearance for each side at the front of the sump and it should slot in nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_130938_684.jpg
    IMG_20180411_130938_684.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 318
Hang on a minute. Is that an A7/10 frame that you seem intent on doing unnatural things with, young man?

Looks pretty good. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Might be the one. I just couldn't bring myself to putting a bend into it for the single engine. I decided to sit back and think about what I really wanted. A nice smooth "gentleman's bike" like the Golden Flash was advertised, that I could ride every day. So a motor with heaps of parts seemed like a good idea. I decided to keep it fairly quiet until I worked out if it would fit. The old motor will go into a rigid frame once I find one.

Brodie said:
Just checking for clearance. Need to cut the bottom frame cross tube and weld it in further up as well as a few mm of clearance for each side at the front of the sump and it should slot in nicely.

Very cool indeed!

Brodie said:
Well done Mate! The Brit Owners Club is going to hate you, but I love it. Is that a 500 or 600 motor? Several years back a local shop in Atlanta was putting Suzuki 650 single motors in A7/A10 frames. They seem to have vanished.

500 twin. I had someone from the local historical club refuse to sell me a few parts because I was too young to build a Brit bike. I am sure they will not be impressed but the bike is for me not them.

Just tried a different look, instead of a hard tail, maybe go with the street and trail version.

Attachments

• 20180411_142704[1].jpg
    20180411_142704[1].jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 165
Brodie said:
500 twin. I had someone from the local historical club refuse to sell me a few parts because I was too young to build a Brit bike. I am sure they will not be impressed but the bike is for me not them.
Should be a good motor. I have a friend who is touring the world via motorcycle. He swears by the Suzuki 500 motor and has worn out several Ninjas and Vulcans over the last 10 years.

Rider52 said:
Looks like you are about ready to build the motor.

That's just a mock-up motor, the one going in it, is on the bench getting built.

It still needs the head and jugs sent to a machine shop.

I need a front wheel that will fit these forks.

All in all, slowly but surely moving.

Very slow.

Back
Top Bottom