DWMS Racing RD350 Cafe Racer! New Gold Leaf Lettering And Graphics!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

I have been working on the RD frame some more over the past couple of days, I welded the gussets in that connect the new frame rail on each side of the frame to the rear down tubes. I still have some more welding, shaping, and smoothing that I am going to do however I thought I would share some new photos for you all to enjoy!

000_0002-1.jpg

This is one of my new favorite photos of the frame!

000_00142.jpg

000_0015-1.jpg

000_00102.jpg

000_00122.jpg

000_0007.jpg

000_00062-1.jpg

Joeyputt, I've noticed how good the symmetry is on the additional tubes very, good on the tubing bender, sometimes that's not easy? The overhead shot makes it easy to see. In pure profile the chassis reminds me of a sitting bird with the wings folded. I also visit the "2 Stroke World" website and 50% of the cafe mods are RD 350/400 they might be interested in something different? My only suggestion would be to remove the fork lock, I don't know does anyone use them, maybe it's just me that doesn't? Fun build as always.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Joeyputt, I've noticed how good the symmetry is on the additional tubes very, good on the tubing bender, sometimes that's not easy? The overhead shot makes it easy to see. In pure profile the chassis reminds me of a sitting bird with the wings folded. I also visit the "2 Stroke World" website and 50% of the cafe mods are RD 350/400 they might be interested in something different? My only suggestion would be to remove the fork lock, I don't know does anyone use them, maybe it's just me that doesn't? Fun build as always.
Cheers, 50gary

Thank You Brother, it is really nice to hear that you noticed how nicely the two new frame rails match. I think a lot about what other people envision the DWMS Racing shop to be like and to be totally honest I still build almost everything really old school and by hand most of the time with pretty basic tools and equipment that most people probably have in their garage, please do not get me wrong I do have some nice specialty equipment for engine building like valve grinders, valve seat pilots and cutters, etc. that are necessary to accomplish the precision work for proper engine building however as far as fabricating frames, etc. I still enjoy using a lot of basic tools like tape measures, speed squares, levels, etc. and while I have various pieces of equipment for cutting steel I still find myself running a hack saw occasionally! Hahahaha!

Seriously though as far as a bender goes I have a very basic bottle jack bender that I use to form all of my frame rails for everything that we build here that most people would say can not create some of the pieces we make however with some practice and a lot of patience they work very well and I always get a greater sense of satisfaction and feel like more of a craftsman knowing that I made something with a more vintage style piece of equipment. I am sure that doing things the old way by hand crafting parts is not as fast as using some of the more modern equipment and techniques however I personally would not have it any other way as I always feel like a hand crafted part has more soul, I guess I am just old fashioned and trying to keep the true craftsman spirit alive as there are not that many of us left anymore and that is my favorite thing about being a member here among so many true craftsman here on DTT that all build the same way.

Building those two frame rails as a mirror image to one another with that may different bends and angles in them was very time consuming and as I mentioned previously a true test in patience however I was able to make them both on the first try which was a blessing!

I also see the bird profile so that is cool that you see it! Feel free to use any of these photos if you would like to share them with your friends on the other forum and if you do please share the link with me as I always enjoy reading other peoples opinions. As far as removing the fork lock I will have to ask Brother Bluesmokey if he would like for me to remove it as it is his bike.

Thank You again for noticing the detail Brother, that truly means a lot to me!

stroker crazy said:
Looking very tidy Joe!

Crazy

Thank You Brother, it is always awesome to have you here!

Good Job Joe!.... I also love reading about the Vintage Tools and old style craftsmanship!...makes me want to try my hand at some more serious frame modification

Joe, This thing is looking awesome! I agree with both of you guys and say kill the fork lock. It even stands out more now that you cleaned everything else up! The frame additions would be impressive enough with a bending machine, the fact that you didn't use one just goes to your craftsmanship and ability! Nice job!

vw121 said:
Wow that's clean

Thank You Brother, your support really means a lot to me and everyone who is working on this build!

DesmoBro said:
Good Job Joe!.... I also love reading about the Vintage Tools and old style craftsmanship!...makes me want to try my hand at some more serious frame modification

Brother DesmoBro I really appreciate your kind words, I know I say it a lot however I really do rely on the support of everyone here for inspiration and to keep being creative! I love working with vintage tools man, I live out in the country close to a lot of farms so there are all kinds of cool antique and vintage tools around here! Frame work is always fun just make sure to be safe when working and with the designs!

bluesmokey74 said:
Joe, This thing is looking awesome! I agree with both of you guys and say kill the fork lock. It even stands out more now that you cleaned everything else up! The frame additions would be impressive enough with a bending machine, the fact that you didn't use one just goes to your craftsmanship and ability! Nice job!

Brother I am very happy that you like it so far, with everything that you have planned for her she will definitely be very unique and beautiful! I will shave the fork lock for you tomorrow! I really appreciate your kind words about the craftsmanship, that truly means more to me than you know my friend! Thank You again for putting your trust in me and for allowing me the great honor and privilege of working with you on this build!

Joe I have to say you are one of the most talented builders that I have seen. I'm amazed that you are using the "old school" bottle jack tubing bender, makes me feel better about my own skills and tools. I really look forward to updates on your projects and few of the other craftsman on this board, it really inspires all of us shade tree mechanics and builders to go out and try things with out fear of screwing it up once or twice! ;D Please keep up with the phenomenal build picks and details.

1969Honda said:
Joe I have to say you are one of the most talented builders that I have seen. I'm amazed that you are using the "old school" bottle jack tubing bender, makes me feel better about my own skills and tools. I really look forward to updates on your projects and few of the other craftsman on this board, it really inspires all of us shade tree mechanics and builders to go out and try things with out fear of screwing it up once or twice! ;D Please keep up with the phenomenal build picks and details.

Thank You my friend, having good supportive Brothers like you makes me very proud to be a member here on DTT! I always like to think that you and I are the tool, the wrenches, saws, benders, welders, etc. that we use are just an extension of us and with enough vision, determination, and patience anything is possible regardless of the extension that we use. I see debates all the time about benders, etc. particularly the same style as the one I use here saying that they do not work or that they will only bend plumbing pipe etc. however we have used this style of bender to bend many different styles of material including anything from very small tubing to large race car roll cage tubing and we have even used it to bend very heavy flat bar to build drive shaft loops for race cars with great success. I really appreciate your comment about me being talented however at the end of the day I am a regular shade tree guy that just loves to build and share like everyone else here, I try to learn something new every day and some days that comes right here from DTT so hopefully the build threads I post will be able to help someone else here one day. Thank You again for being here Brother, I promise I will post photos and details of the entire build all the way through to completion!

You can not put a bike in that frame... I want to buy it as is for a coffee table! I would love to be able to throw my feet up on a piece of glass held up by that frame!!!! Awesome work Joe, as always you make it looks like it was manufactured by the original factory but only smoother and no markings.

Hell yes! This is a great start!

Loving the frame mods so far!

CASI, you couldn't afford a frame like that!!!!!!
If you can, then I am calling your note!!!!!!!!! 8)
Ha, ha, ha, ha..... ;D

I should send Joe one of the frames from the shed and see what kind of table he could make... maybe one that looks like a Dollar Sign and your initials! hahahaha

Get one plated. I know a good local platter. I ma sure he can gold plate it. LMOA

Brothers Casi and Habanero52 you guys are too funny! I was cracking up laughing when I read your posts today, I can see that table now with the dollar sign, initials, and gold plated! Hahahaha! Seriously though to be totally honest my Wife and I have been talking about building a few motorcycle themed tables for a while now and already have a lot of cool ideas so we should build you an awesome motorcycle coffee table!

Thank You Brother Green199, it really means a lot to everyone involved with this build that you like the frame! This is only the beginning of the frame work, we are adding a couple of new gussets in other places and have a cool rear guard that we are planning on incorporating into the frame as well so I hope that you will continue to enjoy the rest of the build!

I set the engine back in the frame as well as the swingarm, rear wheel, chain, etc. so that I could check the clearances for the new rear guard that I am building.

We had originally thought about building a one piece guard out of aluminum however I really want to mount the guard just inside the rear down tubes so that it is flush with the back of the rails when looking at the bike from the side, there is a cross bar connecting the two rear down tubes which would prevent me from mounting a one piece guard that way so we decided to build a two piece guard with the cross bar in between them which I think will look even nicer when everything is finished!

I started to play with design ideas and cut some templates out of cardboard so that we could see what the guards would look like. Here are a few photos of the basic design that I think we will be using, these pieces of cardboard are not the exact shape that I will be cutting out of aluminum and the aluminum pieces will sit flush with the back of the frame rails instead of how the cardboard is sitting however I wanted to post these photos to share the basic design with you all!

000_0002-2.jpg

000_00042-1.jpg

000_0016-1.jpg

000_0017.jpg

I really like this photo as it shows how you will not be able to see the guards from the side and how uniform the two new frame rails that I built are when looking at the frame from the side!

000_0020.jpg

Artwork for sure.

Awesome mate!!
Don't you just love cardboard to :D

Cheers Wayne :)

Back
Top Bottom