'81 CB750 rear wheel hub question

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
Got the rear wheel off yesterday and opened up the hub and drum. According to the Clymers, this bearing retainer is supposed to unscrew, but mine is not moving for love or money, at least not by hand. Here's a photo of the wheel -

The bearing retainer is looking a bit beaten up as well (especially on the edge, kinda looks a bit hammered) but even if I could get it off the part is obsolete and unavailable from every online parts shop I've checked. Is it really necessary to replace this part? Are there more important parts I need to check or inspections I need to make (apart from the brake pads)?

I posted in your main thread too, clean the grease off that well. they are locked into the hub with a drift or punch on the edge that you need to clean off with a drill bit, dremel etc. then it will unscrew and you can re-use it. you can't change the bearings if you don't take that out. If you use a new sealed bearing you likely don't need it but you can re-use it so might as well.

I did this on the rear wheel swap on my GL but didn't take pics. however there are lots on the site with the process in pictures if you can find a thread with it, not much help I know but I have seen it in a few recent build threads.

Thanks again mate, really appreciate your help. I have a bunch of friends here who ask me how I know all this stuff about taking bikes apart, and the answer I give them is people like you. I'd be lost without your help! Good on ya =)

I'll see if I can dig up those threads, it's always really helpful to get a visual on what I need to do

Thanks again =)

How do you think I learned this stuff LOL. If I didn't join this place in 2008 I'd still have my first bike in pieces in the basement. Cheers. Glad I can help the little I can.

If you're trying to unscrew the part your arrow is pointing to, that is incorrect. You unscrew the inner part with the 4 holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is actually a tool made for this (just like the one used for an angle grinder...). You can easily make one with some scrap metal.

VonYinzer said:
There is actually a tool made for this (just like the one used for an angle grinder...). You can easily make one with some scrap metal.

I mentioned that, flat bar and a couple of appropriate sized bolts, drill 2 holes in the right place and bobs your mothers brother

VonYinzer said:
Jesus... Get a room you two.

;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;)

Hahahahahaha! I've got a garage but the thing is f*&#ing freezing - can't get the wife in there let alone anyone else. Still, the beer stays cold =)

540Nova said:
If you're trying to unscrew the part your arrow is pointing to, that is incorrect. You unscrew the inner part with the 4 holes.

Ah. I was totally going to try to unscrew that, and then attack the thing with the four holes in after. So does that thing I arrowed move at all, or is is part of the bearing? Guess I'll find out one way or another, just don't want to break anything

You have to drill out the punch marks first. It won't unscrew until you do.

The part the arrow is on is the hub. It doesn't move. Only the inner ring with the 4 holes. Spray it with Kroil or PB Blaster. Lightly drill out the stakes, if needed.

It's Honda's curse on the world. Like they never expected bearings to need replacement. Horrible hub design.

I have bought those aluminum retainers new before - have you called a Honda dealer w the part number? They tend to get destroyed easily.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I use Western Hills Honda Yamaha to find parts numbers and to cross reference. They have an excellent database. Then from there you can search. The retainer is Honda Part number 41231-422-000

http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Honda/CB750KA_(81)_750_FOUR_K%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2RC010-BM200001_TO_JH2RC010-BM209614/CB750K_REAR_WHEEL/CB750K-81-JPN-A/2Y14425ZAF14425Z12B

It's an obsolete part, but it can be found on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XHonda+41231-422-000.TRS0&_nkw=Honda+41231-422-000&_sacat=0

Mine was locked up pretty good even after drilling out the punch mark. Made a hard punch out of puck board, stuck it in one of the holes and gave it a good whack to get it freed up

Back
Top Bottom