artists or designers

There is a reason moto gp bikes all kind of look the same. Aerodynamics and ergonomics have been optimized.

One very common way of sketching in ID is to print out a line drawing of your model in perspective or ortho, and then get some tracing paper and trace over it. It keeps your drawing in proportion and then because all the drawings were done from the same view point it makes it easier to compare them

yeah, I modeled the bike in solidworks, then traced over it, then scanned that, put it back in solidworks as a background, then started building surfaces, then did the same again to tweak things as they evolved. I'm not good enough at 3d or 2d modeling to design the whole thing exclusively in either.

When I modified a T120 Triumph decades ago, I took a side picture and then used white out and white blank labels to block out parts of the bike I'd remove. Then I simply drew different tank, seat, pipe shapes etc until I honed in on a design I liked. Really old school but back then there was no other way.

Now I start with digital pictures of the bike and then borrow pictures off the web and cut and paste tanks etc off one to paste on the picture, but I still end up with lots of hand drawn overlays until I get a shape that I am looking for.

Turning that vision into metal or composite is a whole other process of course.

I'm getting better at going from 2d sketches to 3d surfaces, it still takes a ton of time, but what I wind up with looks like the drawings, just in 3d. If I had the $$$$$$$$$ for a laser scanner, I could rough model the 3d stuff in foam, lay up clay on top for the final modeling, then scan that back into the computer for smoothing and symmetry and mounting counterbores and stuff. at that point I'd really need some big time playboys knocking at my door for fancy bikes though

themotoworks said:
I'm getting better at going from 2d sketches to 3d surfaces, it still takes a ton of time, but what I wind up with looks like the drawings, just in 3d. If I had the $$$$$$$$$ for a laser scanner, I could rough model the 3d stuff in foam, lay up clay on top for the final modeling, then scan that back into the computer for smoothing and symmetry and mounting counterbores and stuff. at that point I'd really need some big time playboys knocking at my door for fancy bikes though

Ever see those xbox kinect 3d scanners?
The 3d scan is usually a little rough, but would still be more than usable, and pretty cheap.

Some CAD software will let you import a photo and turn it into a 3d model directly from the photo as well.

Lot's of options these days.

Back
Top Bottom