Should I? Rat rod bike from fire damage? pics! CB450

mark13018

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
Hey guys. So as some of you know and may remember my brother had a fire last year and lost a lot of his stuff. His car, bikes, parts, my cafe racer body work from my build on here and some other things. The bike may have been the source or was definitely at the heart of the fire. When he finally got the chance to get into his garage he moved the cb450 and all the oil just poured out of it. The gauge insides are melted, wiring toast, gaskets and oil seals probably all gone, etc. metals are mainly good still but the plastics and rubbers are pretty bad. Looks like the brake lines and forks and whatnot are still good though. Well he had a lot of time and money into his build and he just now had me pick up his bike to use it for parts or to part out for my 450 or spares... You guys can understand how that would be. He just wanted it out of his sight. (I then made the "Project X" bike for him, which he still has).

Before, shortly after it happened everyone was joking about making it a "rat rod" style bike. Similar to what he had but leaving it cosmetically to just have that character and story. When I just stopped out to pick it up he mentioned something about it again (rat rod) and said he was just done.... He just couldn't do it so it is now at my house.

I have an oil seal set, gasket set (both I bought for my cl450), and all the wiring I need to do 30 bikes. and some other spares. Would still need a set of mikunis, seat, tires, chain, gauge faces (I think that's it)

So my question to you guys is this:

A.) Should I get it running, leave the cosmetics, and give it back to my brother? (try to keep the cost under $500)

B.) Part it out and use what I can elsewhere?

Here's the bike when I first bought it, after he finished it and after the fire, and how it sits at my house right now.

Yf1oiuD.jpg

LEnpift.jpg

7sQ4get.jpg

Build it....build it....build it.....Build it....build it....build it.....Build it....build it....build it.....Build it....build it....build it.....

My concern would be with all that heat if the frame has become compromised in any way.

Metal when it gets heated up that hot can become brittle and fragile.

I'd love to watch you bring it back from the dead. But. I don't think the time and cash you would pour into it would be worth it.

firebane said:
My concern would be with all that heat if the frame has become compromised in any way.

Metal when it gets heated up that hot can become brittle and fragile.

those kind of temps would have roasted off the rear tire.

BUILT IT. the only thing it should need is a new harness and a few smalls. i would leave as many of the cosmetics from the fire on the bike, and i would call it "fire proof"

+111 build it !! it would have needed to get MUCH hotter and then quenched to even come close to changing the properties

Hey guys, update!!

I got home and checked. I have a cafe seat, brand new rear tire that will work (front still looks good and holding air), a set of gauges, wiring, engine gaskets and oil seals.

Things I would still need on an extreme budget for this is a set of mikuni VM32's, pod filters, a chain, a battery.... Any help on this is greatly appreciated and I will post a ad in the wanted section as well.

Looks super tiny compared to the CBX! Hahahaha.

T3HP8vd.jpg

9OInEul.jpg

I agree it doesn't look like it got hot enough to affect the metal, but I absolutely wouldn't trust any rubber.

Rubber in virtually all it's forms changes with heat. Tires, brake lines, caliper seals, shaft seals cush drive wheel bearing grease seals, etc. would all be suspect.

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but there's never a good time to loose your brakes...

That said, I absolutely agree that it is a worthy project. Bring it back from the dead!

It's a go... Starting the engine rebuild next week. Getting a few other parts and throwing it back together.

I'll use this as the build thread... More pictures to come ;D

Man i had a shitty day ran out of gas on the side of the road....lost my iphone...and found out i had a $800 porcelain sign after i sold it for $90....then i heard you were gonna build it ....and it put a smile on my face.... :)

DesmoBro said:
Man i had a shitty day ran out of gas on the side of the road....lost my iphone...and found out i had a $800 porcelain sign after i sold it for $90....then i heard you were gonna build it ....and it put a smile on my face.... :)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks!!

I have most parts I need but I just found out the shifter shaft is stripped and my brother plug welded it on so I need to cut it off.. Checked ebay and couldn't find one to buy :( . Looks like some wanted ads are going up!

Ya build that thing!! Like was said before the tires went burnt off and the front brake line and speedo bucket look good so the frame should be fine!

Besides that would make for a sweet story every time someone asks about the bike!

Its up on the lift!!

I hurt my back and I'm on restrictions or the engine would already be out. ;D

Starting the demo soon to get it running and back on the road.

Attachments

• 20140605_200807.jpg
    20140605_200807.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 339
Back
Top Bottom