Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Been some time but back to messing with the monkey ! Was having a lot of leaks from the carb boots so went with these !

Attachments

• 14667192996571872246267.jpg
    14667192996571872246267.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 424
Nice! I've read those work great with Mikuni VM32s. Take pics and let me know how they fit. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a test fit with ever thing from mounts to filters. So far I'm really happy with the fit and finish,much better then stock stuff. As in the post on xs500 forum my ports a novel and new boots are round . when mounted there is (maybe) 1/8 inch of lip on top and bottom. Its not a race bike so I think I'm going to leave them alone for now and once I get messing with tuning again see if it make a diff. I can see it could cause air flow to not be perfect so if that seems to be the case I'll pull them off and take off the edges ! Will see I guess and ill get some pics up . If anyone sees a problem with not smoothing out the ports and why please let me know !

DreadRock said:
If anyone sees a problem with not smoothing out the ports and why please let me know !

I don't see why it would be a problem. Like you said it's not a race bike. Interested to hear about the results.

Both of the same !

Attachments

• 1466808921387-425473385.jpg
    1466808921387-425473385.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 451
Been a min or two ( life ) but messing with the monkeys after a few nice days here in Ohio. I left the monkey out of pulling my hair out over a few things . But I'm back on it and hope to once and for all get the carbs right. I did regear it to ..... Front : 15 Back : 37 . Was looking over on XS500 forum and came across a member the did some dyno test for the vm32 carbs . My set up is close but for the needle jet and jet needle.

Mine : needle jet ... 159 p-6
Jet needle .... 6DP17
Need : needle jet .....159 p-5
Jet needle....6DH7

Can't seem to find any ? Any help out there ? Not 100% on numbers on my part try to find them to see if # match up with what I'm reading.Only diff from mine is the 2 into 1 pipes

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=1625.msg9139#msg9139

The surface finish isn't critical on the intake side. The rough surface will actually help creating turbulence and a properly mixed charge. You want it nice and smooth on the way out though.

The reason that polished ports are not advantageous from a flow standpoint is that at the interface between the metal wall and the air, the air speed is zero. This is due to the wetting action of the air and indeed all fluids. The first layer of molecules adheres to the wall and does not move significantly. The rest of the flow field must shear past, which develops a velocity profile (or gradient) across the duct. For surface roughness to impact flow appreciably, the high spots must be high enough to protrude into the faster moving air toward the centre. Only a very rough surface does this.

The finish on our heroes intake wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

I believe he's more worried about the difference in port shape between the head and the manifolds than the "finish" of the ports. If it was me, I'd bust out the dremel and match those ports. That sharp transition can't be good.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using DO THE TON mobile app

two-smoker said:
I believe he's more worried about the difference in port shape between the head and the manifolds than the "finish" of the ports. If it was me, I'd bust out the dremel and match those ports. That sharp transition can't be good.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using DO THE TON mobile app

yep that's what I was thinking . will be doing this when I order thenew jets . thanks for all the info

Well finally got the Jets from Jets R Us ! Going to work on them over the weekend and if need be clean up the small edge with a dremel . I'm hoping the new Jets and intakes solve my carburetor problems !!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_192827.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192827.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20170607_192919.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192919.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
Got jets in and throttle is so much better .. smooth no bogging ! Problem im having is, it wont idle just dies when you let off throttle even with idle screws all the way in . And its really on the rich side ? So im going over a few things to see what im missing and will let you know how it goes ! Other then that it seems going back in right direction .

Back
Top Bottom