"Dago" Resurrecting a 350F gently

Re: "Dago Roller" Resurrecting a 350F gently

Personally - I don't know. But is the starter from your 350f motor compatible?

Re: "The Dago" Resurrecting a 350F gently

I'm not sure, but I'm going to get that engine sometime this week. So when I get it and I get back from offshore. I will sure let you know man. Most of those engines are similar so its a good possibility.. Going to use FedEx or Engineshipping dot com

Alas, I ordered the engine and should be getting it sometime within a week or so.. I'm currently offshore so I'm doing some away from home spending..

Question: There are two different 466cc piston kits on ebay, one is more expensive than the other. the expensive on is from austrailia and the cheaper is in Japan. Is there a difference in quality between the two countries?

Question: same for gaskets, will any set do or should I not get the cheapest set?

The engine was delivered over the weekend! And I ordered the 466cc piston kit and new engine gaskets.. So when I get off the ship next Tues.. I'll be tearing down that 400F engine! Oh I am going to order a SS engine bolt kit.. I know things are going to break off and strip.. i can see it now.

Side note, I have a week to decide my color scheme for the engine and fram at least... Need to get on that! Had a dream last night I was making my tank, it was vivid and I know how thats going to lay down! Other than that, I'm stoked and ready to get into it!

I replaced most of the hardware on my 350F with fresh stainless socket head cap screws. I didn't have much trouble with stripped hardware (there were a few recalcitrant bolts, but 2-3 out of several dozen replaced over the whole bike), I just couldn't stand to look at all those rusty bolts any more...

"Dago Roller" Resurrecting a 350F gently

As a 350f rider and lover, I'm in. Been thinking about the 400f swap for a while. There is one at my local junk yard with the frame for $100 bucks. Only catch is that is been frozen for 10 years and someone painted it blue. But it's inside! Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Yea I think those old bolts need to be retired haha.. and the stainless won't have problems down the road with getting seized as bad.

Oh a blue engine huh? Haha nice! Well it depends how "lockrd" up it is. I had a Perkins diesel engine for my boat was locked up just cause one piston had rust. The whole sleeve came out of it when we pressed it out so it was in there good. So you might have the same thing with that one. It only takes a drop of water to rust a ring to the block.. everything else might be good. You could go get the engine if its cheap enough and just pickle it with Marvel Mystery oil until your ready to do something with it... but thanks for following along, j hope I can make it what I want!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ronnie, I highly recommend Duplicolor Metalcast paint for the motor. Comes in lots of colors, sprays nicely, chemical resistant, etc, etc.

Rich, I was looking at the Duplicolor engine paints on their website and also VHT's engine paints.. Is the Dup. metalcast their engine paint? I dont remember the product name, I looked at it the other day.

It's not "specifically" engine paint. It is made for intermittent high temp applications so it can be used on engines though.

Personally, I used their red paint on my seat and tank, their gold paint on my wheels, and their "smoked chrome" or whatever on a different engine.

Oh ok I'll definitely check those out.. they sell that at Advance Auto and stores like that I assume?

Yeah, they sell the primer and 3 colors at most stores (purple is usually one of them though). I ordered any other colors from Summitracing.com.

There's some examples on Duplicolor's site too: an engine, I think a guitar, and some other stuff.

Oh great, I'll probably have to order it too then haha.. I'm not doing anything in purple haha!

I have used VHT caliper paint with fantastic success on motors. It will stick to a puddle of oil and is VERY chemical resistant, plus the 'Cast Aluminum' and gloss black colors are both VERY nice looking.

So I got my table finished, engine came in, and I started taking the head off. Just need to read the manual again and take the can chain off so I can finish taking it down.
a6f9c628-e028-eeda.jpg
a6f9c628-e03f-ae6c.jpg

Just waiting on my pistons to come in and I can start the boring process. Also. Going to work on the frame and remove the swing down kickstand and unnecessary tabs and suck and sand/wire wheel it clean.. other than that life has been getting in the way of doing more. Like usual I assume.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So, it's been a while since I have posted and I have done a good bit since.. I need to post pictures on here. I broke down the engine I'm waiting on my cam to get rephased, new springs and guides, painted engine parts, worked on the frame a bit. Now, I'm just waiting to find info on clearances for boring the new juggs to to the new 466 pistons. So its going pretty well..

I do however have a general question, Since my engine is broke down should I go ahead and change out the clutch plates? The engine had 15k+ miles on it and I dont know if they have been changed.. they are fairly cheap(around $40). Is the process hard and worth it?

nice I'm going follow this
I used dupli color low gloss black eng. enamel looks bitchin if I do say so myself

To recap what I have done in the past few months, I have broke my engine down, removed valves, pistons, and cam, heavily cleaned everything that can be seen, prepped and painted the engine, and worked on the frame cleaning it up getting rid of unnecessary tabs and metal(not done yet). No I am just waiting on machine work for the bigger bore pistons and my cam to be returned with higher performance phased and new valve springs. Also some tidbits from 400tt like cam tensioner, new guides, and a couple other nic-nacks.. I'm posting some pictures of my progress so far..

IMG_20120515_195330-1.jpg

IMG_20120515_202239.jpg

IMG_20120515_202802.jpg

IMG_20120515_202811.jpg

IMG_20120515_202841.jpg

IMG_20120515_204526.jpg

IMG_20120523_153625.jpg

IMG_20120523_155136.jpg

IMG_20120703_170120.jpg

New pistons
IMG_20120618_215410.jpg

Cut off the bottom bike stand
IMG_20120523_103105.jpg

IMG_20120523_143546.jpg

Painting time

IMG_20120630_095231.jpg

IMG_20120630_111443.jpg

IMG_20120630_141517.jpg

IMG_20120630_174058.jpg

IMG_20120630_222553.jpg

In the meantime, I have been enjoying my resto...

Attachments

• IMG_20120702_120417.jpg
    IMG_20120702_120417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 343

Wow, I thought you were out this whole time.

If you do change the clutch plates, wait until the new ones are soaked in oil overnight before pulling the old clutch apart - makes it easier to keep track of assembly order. And get new clutch springs with the new plates.

Back
Top Bottom