KZ650H build. Cruiser to cafe.

Beau

Here is a stock photo. Simialr to a CSR or Heritage model.

KZ650H1Aron1.jpg

I started this about a month ago. Found a cheap '80 KZ650 H. When I bought it, I thought about doing a bobber, but 4 cylinder bobbers are terrible. So this is my quest to make it more cafe.

When I got it. In it's previous life it was a bobber thing.

Attachments

• kawi.jpg
    kawi.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,462
  • kawi1.jpg
    kawi1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,569
Re: KZ650H Ugly duckling build. Cruiser to cafe.

I picked up carb boots and got it running to make sure it was worth working on. Fired right up and ran good to my surprise.

This was with a set of street bars with a rise. Then I chose to change it up.

Attachments

• kawi4.jpg
    kawi4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 537
Re: KZ650H Ugly duckling build. Cruiser to cafe.

Still in mock up here.

CB350 fork boots, lowered forks(still ugly with the axle out front like that), Cb700 Nighthawk shocks (two right side shocks, 1.5" lift, adjustable damping and compression), CX500 gas tank, old fiberglass seat shortened 3" and trimmed in the back to give it a sweep up and two pairs of stock inner header tubes that I'll turn into a 4-1 exhaust.

Future work includes a filler panel blended into the bottom of the tank so the tank appears level with the ground, and inline with the seat pan. I'll also be cutting out the top rear section of the frame and making a new hoop. All the wiring has been trimmed down and set for their new locations. I got a set of cheap 35mm clip on and had a buddy bore them to 36mm, so the upper tree still has the stock handlebar mount but it will be shaved soon.

Now you are caught up. This is a budget build and hopefully I can find most of the stuff locally.

More to come...

Attachments

• DSC01300.JPG
    DSC01300.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 528
  • DSC01290.JPG
    DSC01290.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 529
  • stance3.jpg
    stance3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,716
  • stance2.jpg
    stance2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,695
  • stance1.jpg
    stance1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 566
  • stance.jpg
    stance.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,654
  • kawi 7.jpg
    kawi 7.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 532
  • kawi 6.jpg
    kawi 6.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,571
  • kawi 5.jpg
    kawi 5.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 525
Hey Beau-

That was really interesting when you added to the bottom of that tank!
In addition to leveling the bottom of the tank, it added visual mass and gave the whole bike a more muscular appearance.

You've got something good going there!

-Sherm

I had a little bit of time to start on the tank today. I got a filler panel cut out and tacked in. I left a bit of extra around the front so I can come back trim it a bit once it's in it's final location. It'll need a bit more bending, trimming and shaping but it's close enough for filler.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 1,876
After cutting out the ugly old tube tubes, the seat and tank will finally line up. The rear shock mounts are going to move forward a touch to lower the back end about a 1/2" and I have a wild idea for finishing up the rear tubes. Getting closer to the look I want now.

Attachments

• cut2.jpg
    cut2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 358
  • cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 332
  • cut1.jpg
    cut1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 326
Tank and seat look good - get that rear frame braced up before something tweaks out of shape!

In the long run I'd also source an 18" rear hoop for that wheel. 16" rears are fine for bobbers, but not on a cafe ;)

I agree on the 18" rear. I'm also on the hunt for KZ750 forks so I can get rid of the cruiser forks on this thing. I want something with the axle mount on the end of the lower legs, and not in front of the leg. The stock bike has D.I.D. alloy rims. I sourced a 19" front rim and thought about lacing it to the rear hub. But after talking to a buddy he said the bike will steer and corner better with the 16" rear. The only 18" rear from a stock Kawi is steel and chrome plated. They also run 48h wheels, so it's a bit goofy. I tried to get the tires as close to the same diameter as I could but the rear is still about an 1" shorter.

No need to brace the rear end, it's all getting cut off as soon as I haul it to my shop. I have just been messing with this at home for now. There's a sneak peek in the photo. I just need to pick up some more D.O.M.

I think the wheel/tire combo looks really good. the 16" with that fat tire on the rear gives it a very muscular look. You could always drop to a 18" front. Those stock wheels looks like they are in great condition.

Nice build. That Henry Abe bread box filter runs a tunes easier if you tape off the ends on the inside. I use silver ducting tape on mine. Made my bike run a lot better at highway speeds.

Ride'em don't hide'em.

Thanks!!!

I was lucky enough to find this combination headlight/tach/speedo on craigslist.

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 287
  • speedo1.jpg
    speedo1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 283
Whew. It's been a while. A loss in the family, deer hunting season and Winter prep have kept me busy. I finally got my Mini moved home and brought the bike to the shop today. I started the frame work and got most of it done. I'm gonna have to cut a coil of of the rear spring to lower it a bit. I thought I calculated the drop in to the new rear end, but it ended up the same. I braced the pieces I had left over on the frame cut them out, moved them up about 6" and made new upper tubes. I have some more bracing to add, I need to finish off the spots where I cut the frame and add a couple gussets.

frame_zps962fe411.jpg

frame3_zpse782b795.jpg

frame4_zps781001cd.jpg

frame2_zps5ec6bf2e.jpg

Im not sure how cutting a coil off a progressive spring would affect the shock characteristics. What if you relocated the shock mount forward to the frame rail? I have seen that done on many 1000's but few 650's. keep us posted.

-Vic

Beau-

I like the stance it has now!
If it was my bike, I'd leave the shocks like they are, and change it later if I didn't like how it rides.

Sherm

Sherm, after thinking about it last night, I agree. It's gonna throw other lines off if I change it.

Back
Top Bottom