74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

If you are confident in your ability to peen it back on I see no real reason why not but I will likely be scolded haha! I use a fresh chain when possible.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I use a fresh chain when possible.
Same. I haven't looked into the availability of them for the 350. I assume it has to cross reference with another motor.

If you park your motorcycle outside for 30 years with the exhaust valves open, you're gonna have a bad time.

c6359f2d63d674c9c86aeae1ca10034c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Same. Except I have no idea about engine modding

Besides penetrant and heat, wooden drift and heavy hammer to free the piston?

adventurco said:
Same. Except I have no idea about engine modding

Besides penetrant and heat, wooden drift and heavy hammer to free the piston?

I wouldn't use heat. A nitrogen penetrant might help, too. It's a thumper, so you might be able to twist the jug back and forth off the piston. Your praying to the gods of hellfire that the jug isn't pitted beyond all hell to not mod anyway. That Xlint link I sent ya has the piston kits and megacycle cams. Some 250 and 350 parts are the same, like valves and hp valve springs. IMO, these things could use a beef up on low end torque. I'm doing it with the carb, but a cam is down the line too.

deviant said:
It's a thumper, so you might be able to twist the jug back and forth off the piston.

As in 'rock' it side to side? The studs prevent a twisting motion with the jug.

adventurco said:
As in 'rock' it side to side? The studs prevent a twisting motion with the jug.

Yeah, rocking is a better way to put it. If you can get it passed the pins, it can be rotated counter and clockwise.

adventurco said:
If you park your motorcycle outside for 30 years with the exhaust valves open, you're gonna have a bad time.

It'd be cool if you could strap the motor to something big and vibrating for a couple weeks, and just stop by to top it off with PB once in a while.

The penetrant solution was about 1" lower in the jug than last night, so I decided to take a "whack" at getting the piston out. Used a heavy hammer and a wooden block to pound the piston free. As it neared the bottom of the stroke I used wooden blocks on either side of the cylinder to raise it up.

36d2b28d04360a8eae790db316e3a00b.jpg

Surprisingly the jug doesn't look THAT bad, but I'm not sure if the corrosion at the top would hone out. No major pitting where the piston had seized, either. Will probably try a hone and see how it looks from there.

77c3947c4843eebd3de3b4d2bb21cc46.jpg

Got about .014" of play on the push rod, cause for major concern or just a bit of noise? Didn't see a tolerance for that value in the FSM.

7133a9e4c8f633e8edfe8ff6eb3cfb3d.jpg

Cleaned up the cylinder bore. Looks like crap in the light, but the walls actually look pretty dang smooth.

fbfb042338d2008d721a3fef71f39ece.jpg

efa6184df29e1b957ae6e27a92bb2f52.jpg

Tank & parts looking pretty good in the vinegar. Turns out it eats aluminum, so the petcock will have to be replaced. Sprung a small hole near one of the forward mounting brackets, but should be easily repairable.

For anyone curious about the VT registration process, I spoke with a guy from the VT DMV earlier, and he told me:

Fill out VT Registration form D119 from their website (dmv.vermont.gov), mail it in along with bill of sale and a check for registration ($44.00) + 6% sales tax (min. $30).

This is what I was told for a motorcycle older than 15 years.

There was no mention of it and no mention of it in the text of the form either, so I would say no.

Back
Top Bottom