Honda NSR250 MC28 Restoration/Special

Dale

Coast to Coast
Hey fellas.

I eventually found an NSR MC28 in June last year, after looking out for one for some months. This is a 1996 model.

It was a rolling chassis with a few boxes containing various parts and three incomplete motors. One of the engine casings in the boxes matched the title, and that formed the basis of a motor rebuild.

New crank, new pistons, rings, barrels redone, gearbox, clutch rebuilt.

The rear hub was destroyed by past owners using a screwdriver and hammer to adjust it, and I managed to find a pretty decent used replacement part.

The electrics that came in the box was from an MC18. I replaced the harness and clocks with a MC21 unit which I de-restricted. Future plans for the bike is to find a proper MC28 card system unit.

The body kit was the original shape but it wasn't the original plastic type, so I figured I would use a GP style kit from Tyga Performance.

Anyways, here she is. Plan is to run the bike in on Sunday. :)

MC_28_Dale-2870.jpg

MC_28_Dale-2868.jpg

MC_28_Dale-2867.jpg

MC_28_Dale-2804.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1809.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1808.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1810.jpg

So here's a brief rundown of the build.

After a good power hose wash down, and sorting through the boxes...

MC_28_Dale-831.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1117.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1116.jpg

A replacement rear hub, and proper tool from Honda...

MC_28_Dale-1589.jpg

Various parts for powder...

MC_28_Dale-1590.jpg

Radiator was trashed...

MC_28_Dale-1602.jpg

The frame... The single sided swingarm was developed by Honda and Elf France.

MC_28_Dale-1666.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1676.jpg

Um, Thanks, (I think) Von. :)

So, my favourite part was this, its just such an smart design. Sprocket and wheel can be changed independantly from each other, and the wheel comes off in seconds...

MC_28_Dale-1673.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1679.jpg

MC_28_Dale-1680.jpg

Wheels. Powdercoated in a blue charcoal. Michelin rubber. New seals, bearings etc. Refurbished the rotors...

MC_28_Dale-1603.jpg

Plumbing and wiring, and sourcing all those pesky little missing parts...

MC_28_Dale-1780.jpg

Great tools make light work!

MC_28_Dale-1804.jpg

I mixed up a custom colour for the calipers

MC_28_Dale-1670.jpg

It was most definitly a compliment. I LOVE that bike. You should probobly send me the stock fairings. I mean... Theyre just taking up room now right? haha... ;)

As much as am a fan(atic) for RD/RZ Yamahas, more modern strokers certainly have what it takes to get the pulse racing!

Sexy!

Crazy

Hey thanks! You're welcome to them, but theyre pretty tatty. ( Actually Ive got a bit of a salvage yard thing going on at the side of my house... ) They're fibreglass replacement parts. The original for the bike was plastic, and had the bike had those, I would have used them and restored the bike to original spec. But its a bitsa bike basically, made up from MC21 parts, and various parts from an MC28 SE and an SP.

stroker crazy said:
As much as am a fan(atic) for RD/RZ Yamahas, more modern strokers certainly have what it takes to get the pulse racing!

Sexy!

Crazy

Yup. Theres certainly something special about two-stroke. I love them (most of the time!)

Dude, I am so freaking jealous of you and all the awesome bikes you find.....

Back
Top Bottom