On/Off switch wiring question.

J-Rod10

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
20141020_153336_zpst075i8mb.jpg

20141020_153420_zpsy0dklwxg.jpg

Top is from a Speed Moto Co universal control.
Bottom is from 82 CB750K.
Anyone know which wires are what?

Wiring and I, we don't much get along.

Not sure about the switch, but for the CB750:

Black - Power to the kill switch
Black/white - Power from the kill switch to the coils
Black/red - Power in to the headlight cutoff
Blue/white - Power out from the cutoff to the headlight (the cutoff turns the headlight off when you're using the starter motor)
White/green - Power to the brake switch and the horn
Green/yellow - Power from the brake switch to the brake light
Yellow/red - Power from the starter button to the solenoid
Black - Power from the harness to the starter button

If you have a multimeter, I can walk you though the tests on the other switch to figure out what goes to what.

Thanks man.

Curious question, I have a switch from a 78 750K, the nice ones in a metal housing that look good polished up. Can that switch, be wired to the plug of the 82?

Any possibility you would know what wires on that one go to what wires on the plug?

Thanks again, I am a moron when it comes to wiring.

Most of the wires should match up based just on color. I think you may have an extra one or two wires left from the '82 plug that aren't used on the '78 controls.

Which bike is this for? Is it for the '82?

Sonreir said:
Most of the wires should match up based just on color. I think you may have an extra one or two wires left from the '82 plug that aren't used on the '78 controls.

Which bike is this for? Is it for the '82?

Yeah, going on the 82. There is an extra wire on the plug for the 82.

It has two black, red yellow (on both), black white (on both), black red (on both).

OK... green/yellow and green/white are for the brake switch on an '82. On the '78 these wires may not be part of the control, but part of the brake perch instead.

You'll need to use a multimeter or test light to find which wire has continuity with the black/red. Probably one of the blacks. You should lose continuity when pressing the start button. When you find that wire, that will be the blue/white equivalent.

So, the black and white on both connect, the Red and yellow connect, but the black and red on both do not?

Again, your help is much appreciated. I am downright dumb when it comes to wiring.

Black/red, yellow/red, and white/black should match. Both blacks from the '78 control should go to the single black of the '82 plug.

On your '82 plug, this should leave a white/green, a blue/white, and a green/yellow, correct?

OK... so you probably won't need the blue/white wire, but the other two go to the front brake switch. That may not be part of the control assembly. I think it comes directly from the master cylinder?

That should do it, then.

Normally, the dimmer switch on the left hand control would be fed by the blue/white wire coming out of the right hand control. Without this wire in place, you'll need to feed the dimmer switch from a black wire within the harness. Choose a thick one if you have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom