Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Just a couple more mock up shots.

Tomorrow, the steering stem comes in the mail. Soon it will be a roller!

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3868.jpg
    IMG_3868.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 242
Made some slotted spacers to affix the footpeg brackets. They will be parted off to about 5mm, and welded to the frame to act as anti-rotation fixtures. I made the tubes on the lathe and manually cut the slot on the Haas.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 228
Yesterday I made the centre stand stop. The cb550 uses a rubber bit on the mufflers to provide a stop for the centre stand while it's in the up position, and I won't have the original mufflers on this bike obviously so I needed to fabricate something else. I used a rubber appliance foot that screws into a tab on the frame, and a corresponding pad welded on the centre stand. It makes a nice, solid, quiet stop for the stand. I did run out of argon while welding though, so I may finish it with a stick.

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 244
Fuel pump installed. This is the fuel pump from a Honda VT750. I got the idea from some other thread I follow, but I can't remember the poster to give credit. The pump has an integrated filter and pressure regulator, with the output pressure being the same as the KTM. This way I won't have to put all that stuff inside the tank, and I won't have to have separate pump and regulator outside the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3901.jpg
    IMG_3901.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3902.jpg
    IMG_3902.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 237
Yeah, it is big. I'm hoping that it will just kind of disappear behind the engine and side covers. Maybe I will paint it black for camouflage. I will post some pictures soon of how it looks with the swingarm in, it is nestled in the space normally taken up by the monoshock.

First assembly of the rear wheel and shocks. I started painting the frame, just some spray can stuff that will give a protective coat during the build. After MOT and road trials, the whole bike will come apart to be bead blasted, painted, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 238
Further mock up including rear inner fender, rear fender, seat, side covers, grab rail, and fuel pump.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3918.jpg
    IMG_3918.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3920.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3923.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
Shows the fuel pump nestled where it lives.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 230
looking great.I like the location for the fuel pump, certainly much easier than trying to fit one in the tank :)

Love that you're using a seat with enough foam to ride more than twenty miles comfortably. Oh, and the rest looks great, too!

Cheers, guys! I decided from the beginning that I wanted the bike to feel as much like a factory bike as possible. To that effect I have ensured the following;

-Seat with full padding (no 'brat' style)
-Comfortable footpegs (not knurled tubes)
-Centrestand
-Full size indicators and brake light (in the stock locations)
-License plate holder and reflector
-Full set of handlebar controls
-Fully functional dash, with odometer, etc.
-Socially acceptable exhaust (I will do the best I can, the 690 is pretty loud)

Seat, fenders, and indicators are the biggest deal for me. I like custom bikes and I applaud those that have taken the time to bring them to life, but personally I would not be able to ride a bike that looked cool but was uncomfortable and unsafe. I think maybe it could be a new category of custom bikes, the 'factory' look. I was thinking of printing my own owners manual to keep under the seat.

That's the best way to go on the pump if you can hide it. There are ATVs that use the same style set up, which is nice for the availability. I went the intank route on my XS, and can say that while yes it is possible, even in a pretty small tank, it is a pain to get right. I ended up machining a custom piece to mount a sportster pump and ninja650 FPR inside the tank, and while I'm happy with it the ease of those self contained units would make me reconsider design choices if I did it again.

Back
Top Bottom