New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland

Marcushyden

Hi everyone! Greeting from Finland!

First, I'm sorry for my "not-so-perfect" english. Hope you guys can manage with it.

I've been working on my project from august 2015, and I thought that maybe I should share it with you.
Hopefully I get some comments and help if I need it.

My building history begins at young age with mopeds, motocross-bikes and 125cc roadbikes.
Years later I got my driving license (18y old) and got involved with my own car projects.

Latest project I had, was Japan imported Nissan Silvia S15, which was one of the first streetlegal Silvias in Finland. I also got my Silvia featured in finnish magazines and few internetsites in states.
Here is link to one of them, if you are intressed: http://www.stancenation.com/2011/08/30/the-japanese-masterpiece/

...but lets get back to present project.

I've been dreaming of motorcycle that should be for pleasure, not so much driving fast. Cafe Racer -style motorcycle would be perfect for this kind of use.
So in 2015 I got to the business... After looking for a bike, I thought that I should build it myself! That way I will get the bike I want.

This first project message is like introduction to my world and to my project.
I will update this thread, so everyone knows from where did I begin and what is the situation today. Also my goals and inspirations will be revealed.

Project started in august 2015

I was looking for Honda CB750, because there is lots of information and build-threads of this bike. Also parts are easy to find.
Unfortunately I did'n find any good CB's on sale in few weeks.

In August I found one on sale and the owner had put it online just 30 minutes ago. Quick call and I was heading to pick it up.

It was -79 CB750KZ imported from Germany. Bike was in good shape, although it has been standing in the barn from the year 2000.

Bike loaded and heading back to garage.
This is how it looked like when we unload it.

CWHcUe.jpg

3jQ7UP.jpg

Few mods and repairs to get it registeration inspection. Everything in inspection was done in 15 minutes and now I had fully registered CB750! 8)

At the same night bike was already teared up.

mYavyj.jpg

ZqVaIJ.jpg

0XzXiZ.jpg

My visio is to build a bike, that is old but with a modern twist.
Inspirationbikes are these.

musdt9.jpg

2GYsuK.jpg

q63kJn.jpg

Plans for this build are:
- Everything as clean as possible
- USD-front end from a modern sport bike
- Monoshock rear end from a modern sport bike
- Full engine restoration
- "Race"-style short exhaust
- New tank and new rear/side fairings
- All new wirings and electricity
- Electricity and battery under the seat and rear fairing
- Carb restoration
- New speedometer, light etc.

I have few ideas of the color scheme, but I haven't decided yet. Everything comes clear to my mind, after bike is build.
Something neutral, big NO for flakes and patterns.
Engine and frame will be semi-gloss black.

Project continued with tearing everything apart.
Next thing I did, was sandplasted the frame.

oFsa0q.jpg

Frame came out really good!

76ItQH.jpg

Also got myself a motorcycletable for better working enviroment.

Removed everything from the frame,
- Steeringlock
- Suspension holders and middle-stand holders from the rear
- Hose and wire holders
- Saddlelock
- etc.

DCf861.jpg

I will also open up the engine and replace crucial parts.
I want to build daily driver and it will need durable engine.

HsOT6J.jpg

Engine almost in one piece

PqQyAg.jpg

cWbyhg.jpg

pnXBxS.jpg

ngHfqH.jpg

One pic from my garage, which is just few steps from my homedoor.
You can also see my fathers Harley Davidson project :)

gi05ae.jpg

Engine looks good. Only minor machining need to be done.

- Cylinders will be honed (I don't know if that is the correct word?)
- New piston rings and piston cleaning.
- Cylinder head grinding, valves and channels cleaning
- All gaskets and bearings will be bought new

I don't look for more power, but engine should be working perfectly.

Parts are arriving every day, so I will post pictures of those later...

Please feel free to comment my project and ideas!

New parts are arriving everyday, so here is a little summary of the arrived parts..

a55C3i.jpg

From Finland I found 2005 GSX-R 1000 complete rear end with swingarm, rim, tire, brakes, shock and links, and foot rests.

7Kdgha.jpg

From eBay came Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 tank.

rIugr0.jpg

Also from UK eBay I bought 2007 GSX-R 1000 full front end with telescopes, triple trees, switches, bars, brakes, rim and tire.
I got what I was looking... ...in gold color 8)

rij1Zk.jpg

Led-stringlight to the back

fHQEEp.jpg

Frontlight with signals. I like to build this bike clean as I can.

g8B8n9.jpg

From states I bought conversion stem for the front end. Cognitomoto rules!

pzlHCk.jpg

Rear loop

inYcCX.jpg

Gauge/dashboard that will be fitted to the bike

Parts for the biggest changes are now in my garage, so I couldn't resist to fit them and see how everything will looks...

K61IQF.jpg

Tank is more massive and roundish. I like it a lot!

GA4qmH.jpg

vZ2iKT.jpg

Testing the rear end

yJxgCU.jpg

NkQeV6.jpg

pjPBs9.jpg

byKpF7.jpg

FgCTBc.jpg

P46MZa.jpg

Headlight will find its right place after everything is done...

Bike has been asked to be show'n at national motorcycle exhibition on first weekend of february. Also bike should be in American Car & Bike Show in March, and at Hot Rod & rock Show in April...

My goal is to finish and reveal bike in national motorcycle exhibition in february. I have to boost thing up, so I will manage that ::)

Next on my to-do-list is get the engine done and fit swingarm correctly.

To get swingarm properly to the bike, I need to drill axlehole bigger and get it "piped" for durability.
Here is image that will clarify my thoughts:

TCu8qy.jpg

G2NfKT.jpg

Hole has to be drilled aprox. 5-8mm wider, so I can fit pipe and axle will fit correctly

Project is going forward...

For fitting the swingarm, I got advice from another builder.
I'm not going to drill holes in the frame bigger. Local shop is going to make new collets/barrels for the swingarm, that I can fit orginal CB axle. Also it will center the swingarm to the frame.

Engine is in the local machineryshop, so I will get it later next week.
Everything for engine rebuild has been bought, so all I have to do next is assemble it.

Next week my friend who knows how to weld properly will come and we start weldings.
Cutting the rear frame and weld new hoop in place. Fitting the tank and weld all unnecessary holes. Slightly modifications to the frame and box for wires and battery.

I had to took some photos just to see how the bike will look when its ready. I really like the lenght, wideness and hight of the bike.

LJTSfA.jpg

tT1RyT.jpg

8Rue31.jpg

First things first... My timeschedule was pretty hard and as you can see, we can now forget it. Project deadline WAS yesterday.

But lets not think about that...

I took the engineparts to the local machineryshop and everything was done in a week.

I don't know right words for the work they did, but all cylinders are hooned (?), surfaces are straigtened (?), pistons cleaned, all valves done and every enginepart is machinewashed to remove remaining soda dust.

kansi.jpg

kansi_1.jpg

kansi_2.jpg

sylinterit.jpg

m_nt.jpg

Engine is under rebuild and should be in great condition after this 8)

Kawasaki Zephyr tankcap was not my cup of tea, so I bought Honda CBR 1000RR tank.

To replace original cap was so difficult that I let the professional machinery do to work.
It came perfect!

tankinkorkki_1.jpg

Kawasaki's and Honda's tanks side by side

tankki.jpg

tankinkorkki.jpg

Another job was also done by professional.
Removing ignitionswitch holder from a triple tree.

tpala_2.jpg

Original

tpala.jpg

Shaved

tpala_1.jpg

Rear swingarm installation plans by drilling bigger hole to frame was abandoned. Turnery made custom made "blocks"/"barrels" to fit swingarm.
It does to job perfectly and I can use original axle.

holkit.jpg

holkit_1.jpg

Finally we got to do weldings...

per_n_katkaisu.jpg

Rear end of the frame was cut out...

per_n_katkaisu_1.jpg

Once I thought that I should change my plans and build brat-style bike...

hitsaus_1.jpg

hitsaus_2.jpg

per_nsivut.jpg

...but when the rear loop was welded, I think it is really nice! We also fabricated sides from sheet metal to finish the look.

runkoputki_1.jpg

"Triangle" on sides are way too big for my taste...

runkoputki_2.jpg

...so we cut one tube of the frame and made the "triangle" smaller. I have seen lots of these kind of modifications in States.

stoppari.jpg

Frontstopper, so bar end will not hit the tank

stoppari_1.jpg

For the tank we use original places, so i can fit ignition coils to their original place.

tankinetup.jpg

Tanks front end brackets. Rubber padding will be fitted to end, so it will suppress vibration.

tankintakap.jpg

Rear end was done like this. Tanks original brackets will fit to these straight. Rubber padding will be fitted to these also.

I bought very cheap ultrasonic cleanermachine. Suprise, it worked pretty well...

kaasari_likanen.jpg

Dirty carb...

putsattu_kaasari.jpg

...after ultrasonic cleaning. Rebuilded with new parts. :D

Overall look at this point is almost same as earlier, but lots of things have been done.
yleis.jpg

Next thing to do is to fit rear suspension and it will be tricky...

All the parts are almost here. Few electronic components and small parts are still coming.
Uusia_osia.jpg

Please feel free to comment, give me some advice or just say hello, like Adele ;D

Few parts arrived. Bolts for petroltank cap and new levers...
IMG_9619.jpg

Finally I figured out how I will install the rear shock. Have to weld new brackets to the swingarm and so on...

Slowly but surely... I've been so busy at work and this project is not going well. I have to sort timeproblem somehow... :-\

Parts keep coming, although I thought everything has already been delivered to me. I always find something new to buy :D

osia.jpg

Handlebar grips, volt-meter, powerswitch, petroltankcapbolts, horn, fuelhose and LED-headlightbulb.
I bought LED-bulb just for try and have to say, light is incrediable! Bulb is not road-legal but who will find that out?!

moottori_osia.jpg

Mainbearings and rodbearings. Also new pistonrings.

Rear shock has now been almost installed completely. Angle is mild, but should work because shock is very stiff. Its almost like solid rear.
Lower mount was made from aluminium that welds straight to the swing. Upper mount will be welded to the frame and will have support metal on the sides.

iskari.jpg

iskari_alap.jpg

iskari_yl_p_1.jpg

Engine is now rebuilding and will be done in few days. Hopefully it will run as it should :eek:

yleiskuva.jpg

moottori.jpg

Seat is designed and will be ready soon. Sheets are unfinished.

penkki_pohja.jpg

penkki_3.jpg

Seat will be covered in leather and will be same color as handlebar grips. Here's few examples for the design.

penkki_idea_1.jpg

penkki_idea.jpg

Overall I feel okay. Timeproblem is bothering me, but I think I can made this ready during this summer.
There has not been any major ups and downs.

Next we are compliting engine rebuild and start to work with rear fairing and elec.box under the seat.

Here is overall photo from the garage:

yleist_1.jpg

I will keep updates coming!
Please feel free to say anything... Goods and bad thoughts :)

Actually progress of this project has been very little past six months.
I have been around the world and lots of other things to do :mad:

In this post we are living somewhere in autumn 2016.

Latest work what I have done is that we have finish rebuilding the engine. Test run is not yet made because there is few issues with carburators, but after december we are putting all focus to this project.

Here you can see engine without camshafts and valvecover.

We also made first step to fabricating rear fairing.

In January we will be focusing to get engine running.
Also lots of welding, fabricating fairings and electricalbox under the seat.

Front fender was cutted from 2007 GSX-R original front fender

Goal was to made race-look-a-like front fender as tiny as possible. From my taste, the results is really good.

Some finishing touches still to be done and some grinding

Next thing to do was under tray.

My idea was to place battery and some electrics under the seat. Box has to be small as possible, so the rear spring is still visible.
Side covers will be tiny as well.

First thing was cutting cardboard samples. I as remember, third or fourth time we get it right :D

Next taping samples to the bike.

It fitted well and we also made whole undersheet.

Next week we will cut samples from sheetmetal and weld it.

Finally got undertray/box ready.

Rear spring is still visible, but every electricthings can be fitted to the box.

I will fabricate fairings to cover part of "side triangles" so you can't even notice the box from outside.

Few holes will be drilled to the box for removing possible water. Rubbersheet will be layed bottom of the box to remove any vibrations.

I already bought sidemounted licenseplate-holder but i will forget it. I will mount the plate front of the rear wheel under the box.
I know the police will not like my oppinion, but I can manage that :)

Rear cowl designing started with polyurethanfoam.

This is possible the version 4 of the cowl, and I don't like it. Has to be more lower and roundish.

I can't recommend polyurethanfoam to this. I've been looking for polyurethanblocks, but can't figure out what is it in finnish...

...until I found it! Floralfoam! Or in finnish "kukkavaahto" ;D

Floralfoam is much better and easier to work with.

Unfotunately I have no pics of todays work, but I will post those later.

I have already testfitted every electricparts to the box. Also found good size battery.
Seat is coming along and figured out fastening to it. Looks really nice and is very practical.

I didn't like headlight I bought so I hunted down Vrod headlight. Modern-look and still roundish :-*

Few pics of the new headlight

For my taste, this looks much better than basic round headlight and fits lines of the bike better

Bike is looking like a real deal...

This is so called floralfoam which is much easier to work with than basec polyurethanfoam.

I suggest to use headmask with floralfoam because it shatters in tiny particles when you cut it or grind it

Undertray has been modified and all electricalparts are findings their locations

As you can those black dots indicates places for bolt to be welded for fastening electricalparts
Also we drill holes to the front end of the box, where all wires will be going to their final destinations

To bottom of the box I found thin rubbermat that can be glued so it will work for mute some resonations

Also we will weld "cage" for the battery, that it can't move

These kind of bracing will be welded and seat will be fasten to these

I didn't like those gaps between the tank and the seat...

...so this metalsheet will be bended and welded to hide those gaps

I managed finally fabricate sidepieces to cover big triangular holes and will be mounted with bolts

Rear cowl is under its way and found this bended metalstrip which is perfect for my eye.
Didn't want to go basic "round rear cowl"

Because the headlight changed which had integrated blinkers and had to found new ones. These small blinkers will be mounted to front forks

I still haven't figured out the place for licenseplate...

This way the licenseplate won't "break" any lines of the bike, but police will have something to say (atleast in Finland).
Well, i don't know...

This way it is too much on display and I don't like it...

This might be the best way, but looks too olds school to me...

Project is going strong atm, but as I promised year before last year, it should be already finished ;D
Right now I don't make any promises, but summer 2018 looks good

Well, what has been done?

- Headlight brackets ordered from UK. Slightly problem with space behind Harley headlight and brackets. Bolt are touching headlight and I can't get headlight close enough to the frame. Have to work this out

- Bought new GSX-R front fender that I will fabricate to pleasure my eye more than previous one.

- The tank is at Mr. Moore Motorcycles, who going to modified bottom of the tank to be more flat, so it will move little bit lower and hide all ugly gaps

- Huge amount of brackets, bracings and other stuff cut from sheet metal. These have to welded on next week.
* sidepanel brackets
* bracings to the frame
* steering stopper have to be modified
* front blinkers brackets
* to the traybox I have to weld bolt and brackets to hold all electricparts
* brackets to hold cables and battery in good order
* new brackets to hold tank in its position after tank modifications
* bracings and brackets for the seat

One of the biggest jobs were to make decision where to put footpegs.

We made this kind of samples to see were footpegs should go and can then I could try drivingposition

After we made decision, we cut samples to look more like real brackets that we will weld to the frame

Don't worry, pedals angle will not be that steep.

I also ordered new adjustable footpegs, so we can move it around a bit if necessary
Pretty sure I have to make new shiftrod but that is not a problem

I started to fabricate rear cowl and made bottom base for floralfoam to be glue on

That was not easy job, because in Finland, I didn't find sheet foam from anywhere... ::)
Talked to few enthusiast and they have made base bottom from plasticsheet

Bought sheet of black plastic and starterd to mould it

First, forced it to the right shape with lots of pressure and gasburner. Have to be careful, because that plastic has low melting point. You don't want to melt your sheet to the floor...

After that I cut it to wanted shape and here is result of that :D

Finally this is what it looks like

After this pic I tied it again tightly to the frame and put some pressure on it, so maybe after few days it will stay like it should

Next step is to glue floralfoam to it and shape it like I want... Then lots of fiberglass etc... Lot to do...

Project is going strong atm and I am determined to finish this project before the next summer (2018)

Here is a quick update what's going on right now

Last of the parts has almost arrived

New adjustable footpegs

Koso speedometer

Also new turnsignals, electricparts, lots of bolts and nuts, side mirrors etc.

Headlight brackets that I bought wasn't the right ones for this project. They were too tight, so there was an ugly gap between the brackets.
Also headlight wouldn't go as close to the frame as I wanted.

I found new ones (although they were pretty expensive) that fits perfectly to this bike.

Next step is to modify brackets and then the front end is nearly complited. Front fender cutting and speedometer brackets under construction.

Finally I got my a good welder, who welded multiple things

Cage for the battery. There will be leatherstrap for fastening the battery. Behind the sidepieces, there is a space for wiring.

Bolts are welded for attach electrical parts. "Bridge" is for volt-meter, tunrsignal relay and mainpower-switch.

Sidepanels were welded straight to the frame to prevent shaking.

Base for taillight

Places for footpegs and supportplates for the "triangle"

I made new base for the seat. Next thing is to bolt fasteners to base and send the seat to upholstery

I didn't like the gap between the frame and the tank.

Tank has meen modified like this:

And now the gap is so much smaller and more like I wanted it

Rear cowl design is my pain right now...

Can't figure out how I would do it or actually how I will do the mold.
Frame bed is little bit too curvy so I can't lay floral foam to it like I need to...

Shit Shit Shit :D

I bought bunch of clay, that I can design easily. It came really good. (in pictures not ready yet...)

Two days later, clay mold has shrinked 1/3 of it's original size and it was useless ::)
Next thing is to go back to the drawingboard and try to figure out what to do...

Rearsets are bolted to the frame. Looking good and riding position is pretty comfy :)

Headlight brackets (large ones/base ones) fits perfectly

Unfortunately with these original brackets and didn't get my headlight close enough to the frame, so we will make new ones. Easy job and they are almost ready when I'm writing this.

Here you can see raw setup of the box under the seat and rear cowl.

Finally I found ignition switch that I like. It's from Harley (can't remember the model) but it looks good. Function is little bit different than normally, because by turning the whole body of the switch you can get your power on or off, without the key. Key is only for locking whole body, so you can't get power.
I also have main power switch under the seat, if I leave my bike for longer period somewhere...

Tomorrow back to the garage and maybe I finish taillight and headlight install, ignition switch and start fabricating speedometer bracket and front fender.
Next week I will put my engine on the bike, so I can start figuring out chainline and other little thing

Rearlight installation is complited. Few holes, rubbergaskets and we're done!

Seat is also ready for upholstery.

Here you can see four holes that we drilled. Seatpins will go through those by pressing it slightly down. Taking it off is also simple. Under the leather will be two small pulling straps.

Right now, we are putting engine back to the bike. After that we can start figuring out chainline, shiftlever etc

Back
Top Bottom