77 cj360 issues

iatattooer

So I got a 77 cj360 from a guy who's done a bit of tinkering with it. After cleaning out the carbs replacing fuel line and fuel filters and coating the tank (new spark plugs and battery as well) I've been having several issues. I'm a motorcycle noob so if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great!
trouble starting, if I can get it to start, it is often inconsistent idle speed. Throttle is not very responsive and also VERY inconsistent. A lot of popping/backfiring? mostly on accel. Today my right air filter caught fire and I type this with a severely burned thumb that happened while trying to put it out. 8)

I realize this is all probably fuel delivery, but if anybody could offer advice that would be greatly appreciated. I'm 3 grand deep into this bike and still haven't even been able to ride it so this is all very discouraging.

Thanks!

For $3K she better be one nice looking, gold plated, diamond encrusted machine, along w a bj from his girlfriend.
...plz post a pic. "A bike pic...not his gf, unless she is particularly hot"

Be sure to laminate his address and keep it on you at all times...
you might want to stop by and kick his ass every now and again.

Use a strobe and check timing. make sure it advances smoothly.

Next you will be checking compression for "cracked or bent valves" then valve clearances.

Heres a link to all the free manuals I have, free to download. and BONUS, I just added "Bills timing guide" pdf a couple weeks ago.

http://www.hondabrat.com/search?updated-max=2013-04-18T03:29:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=15&by-date=false

The workshop manual contains proper clutch adjustment procedure.

Back
Top Bottom