71 CB450 K4 gearing question

sanu29

Hi,

I recently started working on my 71 CB450 and I think its time to replace my sprockets. The oem specs is 15t front and 35t back with a ratio of 2.333

I am also trying to changes into 520 sprockets and didn't had much luck 15t front sprockets (found 16t or 17t). On top of that I am also planning on putting 17in GS500 rims on the back and front.

My questions is should I just go with a 17t/40t option which will give me a ratio closest to stock at 2.3529 (my goal is to stay as close to stock gear ratios) or do I have to consider more factors in as I am going down in wheel diameter.

Any help is much appreciated.

depends on the riding you are doing front sprocket on many hondas is same you should be able to find a 15 520 same as 15 520 on yours such as for an 74-78 xl350

xb33bsa said:
depends on the riding you are doing front sprocket on many hondas is same you should be able to find a 15 520 same as 15 520 on yours such as for an 74-78 xl350

So do i have to factor in changing of gearing if I go from 19in front/18in back to 17in front and back?

well yes but you are taliking about small changes
17-18 is only an inch but maybe less maybe more depending on the tire profiles/aspect ratios
i think you should stick with stock gearing and if you want a bit more poke outta the hole you can go down 1 on the front
realistically will you be screaming around at 80mph or not ?

Bumping this up..

I'm looking for more top end for highway cruising and want my rpms a little lower at 65-80 mph... Anyone know of anywhere I can get some sprockets or if the cb750 has the same rear sprocket as the 450? There are more options available for that bike than mine.

gingerXlightning said:
Bumping this up..

I'm looking for more top end for highway cruising and want my rpms a little lower at 65-80 mph... Anyone know of anywhere I can get some sprockets or if the cb750 has the same rear sprocket as the 450? There are more options available for that bike than mine.

I came across these guys give them a call and see if they can help. http://www.rebelgears.com/

Back
Top Bottom