The CB400T basement find

jayfromjay

If it don't hit the ton, well it aint no fun!
I posted some of these in the introduction forum, but thought I'd put the build up and back story over here.
I scored this CB400t from a guy who does business with the auto parts store I work at for $75 about 2 weeks ago. It came complete with title, tool kit, owners manual still under the seat and matching Hondaline helmet. He bought it new in '78 from a local bike shop. He rode it to and from work from '78 to '93 when he parked it in the basement. Zoom ahead to 2 weeks ago and i've got the itch to build a little get around scooter and am asking every one I know if they know where I can find a bike on the cheap and bang, I've got a cb400. Right now I've got it tore down to rebuild the carbs, red cote the tank and just generally get her cleaned up before I do some fab work.

Plans include:

ditching the stars for spokes
Inverting the headlight mount and adding clip ons
Fab a 2 into 1
Tail section w/ seat
Paint

This will all be done on the cheap, by me (except the carb rebuild and tuning), with alot of cursing, in my garage which has no power and is to darn far from the house to run an extension cord.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 439
  • cafescuderiaresize.jpg
    cafescuderiaresize.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 428
  • cafescuderia 004.JPG
    cafescuderia 004.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 432
more pics. The previous owner went shellac crazy!

Attachments

• dirty cover.jpg
    dirty cover.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 437
  • clean cover.jpg
    clean cover.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 436
Carb dip is awesome!

Attachments

• bowls.jpg
    bowls.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 451
  • inners.jpg
    inners.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Dirty carbs.jpg
    Dirty carbs.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 453
  • teardown.jpg
    teardown.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 447
not sure. the mufflers have a little rust, but if your intrested we can work something out. I'll put up more pics of them after I get back from Louden Sunday.

Yeah, send some pictures. I have a rust through on my right pipe. Would you be keeping the headers too?

If I don't keep them I'll give you first refusal. my carb guy just got the carbs back together today so when we get back from Laconia N.H. tomorrow I'll post some pics.
theboxrules said:
Yeah, send some pictures. I have a rust through on my right pipe. Would you be keeping the headers too?

jayfromjay said:
I love lucy!
Haha, me too. I like watching these Honda 400 threads to see what everyone is doing with these UNIQUE bikes(frames).
Being a poor college kid; mine moves rather slowly...

Just got back from Laconia N.H.(263 miles round trip) for bike week and OH MY FRIGGIN WORD! Not one cafe, not one! tens of thousands of Hardly Dangerous' but not one stinkin cafe. Did see a cb400 running bobbed with no mufflers. Sounded ok. Ill have pics of the pipes up in the morning. Happy Fathers day all!

Her are those picks of the mufflers. I had her fired up today and it sounded ok, but It's got to be rusted thru I'd guess.

Attachments

• roght side back.jpg
    roght side back.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 410
  • rightside long.jpg
    rightside long.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 371
  • Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 416
So the Shed farmer from up the road came by today and we put the carbs back on and put some fire in the pipes! The first pic is of my non powered garage where all the love happens!

Attachments

• South Chisholm Scuderia.jpg
    South Chisholm Scuderia.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 400
  • Shed farmer.jpg
    Shed farmer.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 406
  • Carbs on.jpg
    Carbs on.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 394
Got an idea while enjoying an adult cigarette and staring at the old saddle bags that came off the bike.....

Attachments

• Tail section.jpg
    Tail section.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 402
  • Tailsection2.jpg
    Tailsection2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 376
  • tailsection3.jpg
    tailsection3.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 399
My pipes are rusted through in the same spots! I suppose I am relegated to finding some aftermarket types..maybe a 2 into 1, but I love the dual style.

Back
Top Bottom