Aberg Yamaha - Hallman HL500

Mr_Dunev

I have no idea what I am doing
I was fortunate enough to find an original Hallman/Profab HL500 over the weekend. I almost didn't buy it but I am sure glad I did. I showed up to look at it, and decided not to buy it, but on my way home I sent some photos to a "guru" and he told me it was the real deal and that I should turn around and buy it.

What I got:

HL500 frame and Swingarm (with all mounts included)
The original unstamped TT500 Motor with a 540 kit. (frozen from being left outdoors)
YZ125 Aluminum Gas tank with TT decals
1977 TT500 mostly complete minus seat and airbox (turns over with compression)

Here are some photos

Mototek Ignition

What I found in the top end

Finding information on these has been pretty difficult, but Rob Phillips at Husky Restoration has been extremely helpful so far. Here is a link to his website, he has built several beautiful HL500 Replica's recently. http://huskyrestoration.com/

Here is an article on the bike.
http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel/gp-classic-steel-1979-hl-500

I am dropping all my other projects to work on this. Wish me luck!

Not sure why you almost didn't buy it!!!! Would love the chance to pick up something like this. I will be following your build closely. What do you have in mind to do to it? Those bikes in that link are sweet. Good to see two of us in this section doing old skool mx bikes :)

johnu said:
Not sure why you almost didn't buy it!!!! Would love the chance to pick up something like this. I will be following your build closely. What do you have in mind to do to it? Those bikes in that link are sweet. Good to see two of us in this section doing old skool mx bikes :)

The reason I almost didn't buy it, is because it's IMPOSSIBLE to find reliable information, and it wasn't cheap so I wanted to make sure I got the real deal and not a replica. They made less than 200 in the US, and roughly the same amount in the UK.

Here is what I plan on it looking like. Except I'll use silver rims, and maybe Fox Air shocks. I'm trying to keep it as Period as possible. I don't think the gold wheels were introduced until the early 80's. Forks are from a 1978 YZ400, unless I can somehow find decent priced Simon Forks.

11_1_0.jpg

EDIT**
Just found the photos of exactly what I want to build.
hl500rhlarge.jpg

hl500lhlarge.jpg

VonYinzer said:

Hey Mike.....Fuck You ;D

I figured it wasn't cheap ; :D I like your plan. It will be a fun bike to ride when it's done. I remember those Fox air shocks, not sure how well they worked though!

johnu said:
I figured it wasn't cheap ; :D I like your plan. It will be a fun bike to ride when it's done. I remember those Fox air shocks, not sure how well they worked though!

I think I am going to try and keep it as period as possible. People are suggesting I use YZ465 forks, and SR500 top end etc. But I want the bike to be exactly how you it came available in '77. With slightly Smaller YZ400 forks, and a 17" rear wheel ;D

I don't think you need to modify the engine with modern parts it will be plenty strong enough as is. Also in the bottom two pics I think that bikes swing arm is modified to move the shock mounting back (laying the shocks down) which was a common mod back then. I remember seeing a couple of these in the early 80's when I started racing MX. Fourstroke mxer's weren't very common back then.

johnu said:
I don't think you need to modify the engine with modern parts it will be plenty strong enough as is. Also in the bottom two pics I think that bikes swing arm is modified to move the shock mounting back (laying the shocks down) which was a common mod back then. I remember seeing a couple of these in the early 80's when I started racing MX. Fourstroke mxer's weren't very common back then.

The photo of Sten's swing arm, was one of the original swingarms made my Profab for the HL500. I have talked to a few "experts" and they said that was a very early one, and they quickly changed to the one you see on all the HL500's you see. My swingarm is the same, with the dual shock mounts.

I went out this weekend to pick up a YZ400 parts bike, so I can steal the Front end and the wheels for my HL500.

While I was looking through the guys 40ft container, he pulled out a pair of shocks and my heart skipped a beat. He had the EXACT shocks I needed, and they were the correct size!!!!

I'm sending them out to be rebuilt this week.

I still need to find a 1976 YZ125C seat for the project.

Mr_Dunev said:
I went out this weekend to pick up a YZ400 parts bike, so I can steal the Front end and the wheels for my HL500.

While I was looking through the guys 40ft container, he pulled out a pair of shocks and my heart skipped a beat. He had the EXACT shocks I needed, and they were the correct size!!!!

I'm sending them out to be rebuilt this week.

I still need to find a 1976 YZ125C seat for the project.

Now that was lucky right there!

johnu said:
Now that was lucky right there!

They are being sent out today to be Rebuilt, re-anodized, re-stickered etc.

Still looking for a seat. Then I'll need to find an Exhaust, airbox, and side covers.

pwafer said:
It looks like luck is on your side! Excited to see what you do with this :)

Yes it was!

So I went out and picked up some more goodies for my HL500 last night 8)

I found some Simons Forks on CL. I'll be sending them out Monday to a guy who's gonna make them like new again!

Here is Tom White's HL500 with the same forks. I still dont think I'll use gold wheels though.

Yamaha-HL500.jpg

Not sure why but I dig the gold wheels. I'm not normally into gold on bikes except the occasional front fork In an off gold

xb33bsa said:
sweet ! they are about as easy a fork made to work on, why send em out ?

They guy who I am sending them too is doing my 17" Fox Air Shocks too. He has already repainted/re-stickered fork legs he is going to swap out, and he has the Triple tree's and axle that I need.

Back
Top Bottom