1972 Norton Combat Commando 750 trade-up & refurb for eventual sale

Looking good! You appear to have a pretty good stash of bikes and parts there in your shop :)

johnu said:
Looking good! You appear to have a pretty good stash of bikes and parts there in your shop

Yep. 29 in the collection, 5 that I gave to my two oldest sons that are still in my possession, 2 client projects in work, and 1 that is sold but not yet collected.

As far as parts, about 4 or 5 long bed pickup loads...

grandpaul said:
Yep. 29 in the collection, 5 that I gave to my two oldest sons that are still in my possession, 2 client projects in work, and 1 that is sold but not yet collected.

grandpaul said:

Very nice, can't have too many bikes ;D My dad gives bikes to me like you do to your sons. I will do the same with my boy too :)

8/3

Oil tank installed, tore the only half-decent rubber isolator I had, so I made up an isolator from a long bolt and short section of rubber hose. Forget the runny paint, it's not a restoration.

412700229.jpg

Oil line connections all done. Also plugged off the "factory oil leak" with a short section of hose & a thick allen screw with RTV silicone.

412700234.jpg

8/3

Battery tray installed, as well as hidden horn (what a pain in the butt)

412700230.jpg

Rear fender was caked with crud.

412700231.jpg

Rear fender spiffed up and installed.

412700233.jpg

8/3

Tail light all cleaned up, back plates painted, and installed. Painted the yokes and cleaned up the forks, will re-install them tomorrow.

412700425.jpg

Sourced a serviceable set of cylinders, they are on the way to arrive in 2 days. Should be going back together with the top end by the weekend.

8/3

Forks flushed, cleaned & filled w/ 5oz 10W30 each, yokes painted, headlight ears polished up, meters & cups cleaned up, and all of that installed.

412700583.jpg

Brake disc wire wheeled and the center painted, fender polished and stays painted, those items installed. Note the imperfect factory grinding, typical.

412700584.jpg

Looking more like a bike, and it's back to a roller.

412700585.jpg

Managed over 6 hours today with 2 breaks, I think we hit 105F...

8/6

Folding right side rearset peg and re-shaped shifter a'la JPN. Waiting on left side z-plate & spacer hardware to mount rearset brake pedal.

412703279.jpg

Headlight mounted, front brake master cylinder overhauled; only brake hose I have is barely long enough.

412703280.jpg

The remaining pile is getting MUCH smaller...

412703281.jpg

I've already pulled over $600 worth of good used parts off the shelves and out of various bins around the shop. There would have been a stock set of footpegs and rear brake pedal on it already, but I sold them just a couple of weeks before I got this bike!

8/6

Just received the cylinders and tried out a set of decent .020 over pistons I had on the shelf; a bit more end gap than I'd like but the pistons fit nice.

412703566.jpg

Gave the bores a nice light hone.

412703569.jpg

Front brake caliper installed, still need to fill & bleed the system. Should have a bit of bend in that hose once the bike is on it's tires.

412703301.jpg

(photo out of sequence)

8/6

Both lifter bores are chipped, but they were being run like this for some time with no issues. This is the better of the two.

412703571.jpg

Dressed up the sharp edges.

412703584.jpg

This lifter bore is missing a big chunk of the retaining screw side.

412703576.jpg

Dressed up the edges.

412703582.jpg

8/6

Thoroughly washed the bores, cleaned the gasket surfaces, masked & painted with gloss black Rust-O-Leum.

412703585.jpg

Bada-bing, pistons happily in place. I love my ring compressors, and use them with two old chopper tweek bars to support the pistons. Works a treat. Best use of tweek bars ever!

412703586.jpg

This lump will be reasonably complete soon...

412703587.jpg

8/6

One intake valve had really bad scalloping from corrosion.

412704056.jpg

One intake guide was EXTREMELY sloppy. I've never seen a guide that badly worn.

412704057.jpg

Sad, sad, sad, sad valves.

412704058.jpg

8/6 (another L-O-N-G day)

Cleaned up the head, gasket faces and ports, replaced the worn guide, then (later) chased the spark plug holes.

412704059.jpg

Selected the 4 best valves from a few dozen donors I had on hand, then lapped them in to the head. MUCH better.

412704060.jpg

Again, it's not a restoration, so it's not going to look like new.

412704055.jpg

Noticeable improvement!

8/6

Head installed and torqued down, head steady installed. I used two strips of old t-shirt stuffed in the pushrod tunnels to hold them in place, then pulled them out before installing the headbolts and beginning the torquing sequence. Works every time.

412704236.jpg

Coils installed.

412704237.jpg

8/6

Carbs overhauled, air filters on, fuel lines started...

412704496.jpg

The end of another long, hot day.

8/8

Fabricating a bushing to adapt a leftover Tarozzi rearset pedal to an "off brand" folding footpeg for the rear brake. First knock off the unnecessary shoulder...

412707278.jpg

Next, turn down the outside diameter a bit longer than needed, then bore the I.D. to suit the footpeg thru-bolt, then use the parting tool to slice the part off the leftover stock. Less than 1 hour including setting up the lathe, rounding up all the tools and bits, turning down the bushing, and cleaning up the mess.

412707279.jpg

Still waiting on a left side Z-Plate so I can mount it all up, but I did round up a brake cable, yoke, and trunnions, plus a bolt-up cable abutment for the pedal end. All leftovers from previous projects, kinda "free".

Now for the fun part: WIRING!

412707281.jpg

I did some rehab work on the harness and cleaned it all up.

I could have left the shouldered end (of that donor aluminum bit) intact, maybe it would be more useful in the future; however, it would have been more trouble to ensure it was clamped squarely and stable before working on the eventual bushing. Oh, well.

8/9

Fabricated a bracket to mount a good used keyswitch, wiring all done.

412708896.jpg

Recalled seeing something similar, so I chopped off the rotted/torn part of the old headers "just to have a look". Useable, complete, solid headers on the way already; they'll probably get spray painted, as they have lots worn-off chrome. I have an almost-new pair of replica Decibell mufflers I'm going to use.

412708899.jpg

8/9

Just some progress pix in the sunlight for the heck of it. Timing & points covers on the way. Good Roadster seat (missing tabs) on the way also.

412708900.jpg

Left Z-plate on the way, rear brake pedal & hardware, and left footpeg standing by.

412708901.jpg

Not too shabby...

That brings this project up-to-date. Just got in a small box of parts including a good used rear iso thru-bolt, and a bunch of new nuts and spacers for that bolt and the z-plates. Not much else I can do 'till the bigger stuff gets here.

Ordered and confirmed shipped:

(Critical stuff)
Timing cover
Rocker oil feed pipe
OPRV

(Non-critical stuff)
Points cover cap
Timing window cap
Seat (needs mounting tabs welded on)
Left Z-plate
Header pipes
Rear hub cush rubbers

Hopefully, the critical stuff will get here before the weekend and I can fire the bike up.

Coincidental tidbit: This scruffy Combat, and my "Dunstallized" Combat, are only 28 serial numbers apart! (The black bike rolled off the assembly line after the purple one)

312321129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom