Wearing my late father's leather jacket

AndrewDoesHair

Been Around the Block
My dad bought an old, used leather jacket in the late 70's when he began riding his Harley. He wore the jacket regularly until he died when I was 12 (1997). When I started riding a few months back, my mom asked me if I wanted my dad's leather jacket. I had forgotten all about it. But now it's mine. It's kind of neat, to wear it now. I don't remember much about my dad, but half the pictures I see of him are on his bike. It's a neat sentiment to wear the thing.
Here's dad's bike. I'm the baby in the blue jams.
5840_1029269911548_7075187_n.jpg

There are no markings in the jacket; I don't know when it was made, or who made it. But it's VERY heavy. This is what it looks like. The zipper does say "Talon" but that's the only lettering anywhere on the jacket.

IMG_5822.jpg

Mmm... Vintage....

Good looking jacket. Looks like it has a separate waist belt, sign of serious quality. It may even be horsehide.

Heavy is good!
Too light and they don't do their main job, no matter how cool they might look.
'Talon' is the zipper brand; they were widely used so it isn't much of a clue.

Crazy

Vintage leather jackets are a close second to vintage bikes. With a strong personal connection, keep it for the rest of your life. Perhaps someday you may have children and can pass it on. When my mom died I learned more about her father, my grandfather, and apparently he was quite a character, a biker before WWII and rode Indian motorcycles. I would kill to have one of his leather jackets.

It is a classic style, as noted heavy is good and talon zips are another good sign of quality. Any other tags, markings etc?

So many people these days hate their old man, so it's great to hear about someone keeping something out of sentimental value.

I'm sorry you lost your dad at such a young age, though. I can't even imagine.

My father has his jacket from when he rode an AJS in highschool. When I was little I used to take it out and put it on when my folks were out of the house.

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom